Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:41:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocks are full.  (Read 14931 times)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 11:44:38 PM

It's the Fullblocalypse!

Panic! Stop! Run away!!

(Ok now come back.)

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 11:51:38 PM

You guys must be kidding me with this. Bitcoin works perfectly, I just send a transaction through my Core wallet, sent the recommended fee, and I didn't had any problems. Don't be cheap on the fees, and wait until 0.12 comes, and wait for SegWit, we can do this without raising the block size now. In the future maybe if needed, but right now, we have SegWit and we can resist until Lightning Network is operative. We must resist the pressures.

Guess you don't get all the threads and complaints about newbies and established bitcoiners whose fees again were not sufficient. And fees will only rise now.

1mb blocks enable easy spamming too so that makes things worse.

I can't see when a big part of the community became that conservative and fearfull that nothing is allowed to change anymore because "what if".

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 05:39:05 AM

Classic has no roadmap or anything. Even if we disregard the safety risk of 2 MB blocks right now, we would have this same discussion very soon (if the growth is going to increase). There's a proposal that aims to fix the validation time being quadratic; we should wait for that to be implemented.

Lauda, so in addition to the 'quadratic' risk (for which you admit there is a fix but core is not implementing),
you're also giving us the 'nothing is better than something' argument.

Really seems like you're shilling hard for core/blockstream.  Not that I
think they are paying you or anything.  You just have a huge bias
and seem to always support their position and actions.  That's
my OPINION and my impression.  Just saying.

YoonYeonghwa

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 06:01:10 AM

I guess that we need to see frequent backlogs in 30 - 60 MB range for things to start changing.
Exactly. That is the only way that people are going to realise that we need change.

Cryptology (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 06:11:25 AM

I guess that we need to see frequent backlogs in 30 - 60 MB range for things to start changing.
Exactly. That is the only way that people are going to realise that we need change.

Yes. Plus bitcoin's price < $50 and Ethereum's capitalization taking over Bitcoin. We will have "consensus by fear".
Lauda
Legendary

Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 06:41:27 AM
Last edit: January 22, 2016, 01:37:55 PM by Lauda

Lauda, so in addition to the 'quadratic' risk (for which you admit there is a fix but core is not implementing),
    So let's set the situation straight. We have two proposals:

1. 2MB Block size
    • doubles the theoretical tps
    • introduces a new attack vector
    • Simple change
    • Hard fork

2. SegWit
    • Fixes transaction malleability
    • Fraud proofs
    • Simpler script upgrades
    • Theoretical tps possibly equal or higher than with 2 MB blocks depending on adoption
    • Somewhat complex; decent complexity for inexperienced users
    • Soft fork

I'm definitely shilling for Core because obviously SegWit is not far superior to a 'simple' block size increase.  Roll Eyes I 'don't seem to always support them'. Do I support them in 'Core vs Classic', 'SegWit vs 2 MB blocks'? Yes.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
    😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
    Karartma1
    Legendary

Activity: 2310
    Merit: 1422

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 08:44:41 AM

I hear talking like the big guys we are here to defeat: this is not the FED.

If the economy goes wrong then let's give them some QE, then after a while QE2, then QE3 and so forth.

If we start raising the block size it will be like that in a way: tomorrow 2MB, in one week 4MB, you understand the trick.

This is not the $ and never it will be.

If it's needed to bring adoption forward then go ahead. Bitcoin will never succeed when adoption is hindered effectively. Sure there are potential problems, one has to deal with it like it happened all the time. And suddenly an arbitrarely setting becomes a breaking stone.

To me there's one fundamental assumption to make: this coin is made of 21 millions pieces. We can break it into more digits but we will always have 21 mln unless we don't super hard fork it.
    Let's not be unrealistic: BTC is not for mass adoption. This is what I wanted to say in regard to my dollar metaphor.
    And, look, I'm not saying problems require to be left on their own but more thank a block size, hard fork debate I see different people's opinions having battles.
    Zarathustra
    Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 09:28:03 AM

Classic has no roadmap or anything. Even if we disregard the safety risk of 2 MB blocks right now, we would have this same discussion very soon (if the growth is going to increase). There's a proposal that aims to fix the validation time being quadratic; we should wait for that to be implemented.

Really seems like you're shilling hard for core/blockstream.  Not that I
    think they are paying you or anything.  You just have a huge bias
    and seem to always support their position and actions.  That's
    my OPINION and my impression.  Just saying.

He is shilling for the Politbüro. He loves censorship and totalitarianism. He tries to sell us a non-consensual monster fork that gives us 1.35MB as a 'short term scaling solution' in the year of the Great Halvening.
    Matias

Activity: 182
    Merit: 101

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 09:47:49 AM

If blocks are full, why average transaction confirmation  time doesn't increase?

https://blockchain.info/charts/avg-confirmation-time?timespan=1year&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=
    Matias

Activity: 182
    Merit: 101

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 09:49:27 AM

2. SegWit
    • Fraud proofs
    • Theoretical tps possibly equal or higher than with 2 MB blocks depending on adoption
    • Soft fork

What do you mean "Somewhat complex; decent complexity for inexperienced users"? Doesn't average user send bitcoins with segwit exactly the same as before?
    SuperCoinGuy

Activity: 224
    Merit: 100

Defender of Bitcoin

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 09:54:07 AM

How much is the confirmation speed impaired when the blocks are full?
    crazyivan
    Legendary

Activity: 1652
    Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 09:55:58 AM

It is frustrating how much energy is being wasted.  Just scale the blocksize  already...

This. Bitcoin Classic is an obvious solution which solves this issue for the next two year. Large miners support it.

So WTF is the issue then?

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
    Lauda
    Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
    January 22, 2016, 10:10:31 AM

What do you mean "Somewhat complex; decent complexity for inexperienced users"? Doesn't average user send bitcoins with segwit exactly the same as before?
    Complex as in implementation, not the usage. Using Bitcoin will be pretty much the same.

It is not if you include the right fee.

This. Bitcoin Classic is an obvious solution which solves this issue for the next two year. Large miners support it.

1. It is not an 'obvious solution'.
    2. It does not solve anything, especially not for 'two years'.
    3. They withdrew their support.
    4. You wouldn't be asking such questions if you actually spent time reading threads. Two words: Validation time.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
    BitUsher
    Legendary

Activity: 994
    Merit: 1034

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 12:11:41 PM
    Last edit: January 22, 2016, 01:00:32 PM by BitUsher

In fairness to Bitcoin Classic , I do need to clear up some confusion... but I also added some other distinctions which make Core the better choice of the two.

1. 2MB Block size
    • introduces a new attack vector(They are aware of this and including sigop protections)
    • Simple change(Yet not as simple as changing maxBlockSize, much more code needs to be changes for sigop protections)
    • Hard fork(Which is more dangerous)
    • Smaller team of less experienced developers maintaining implementation(5 devs , with 2 very experienced)

2. SegWit
    • Fraud proofs
    • Allows for one to prune the signature data and reduce the blockchain size
    • Theoretical tps possibly equal or higher than with 2 MB blocks depending on adoption(But likely an effective 1.7MB to 2MB)
    • Somewhat complex; decent complexity for inexperienced users to understand(UI and usability won't be effected )
    • Soft fork(are indeed safer than HF)
    • Has a team of dedicated and experienced developers testing and supporting it -45+

Amph
    Legendary

Activity: 3206
    Merit: 1069

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 12:41:00 PM

segwit is not 2mb is actually less, 1.75-1.8, still it should suffice for the short term future

bnut in the end they need to increase the capacity directly, this within the halving of 2020 must be done for sure
    lottery248
    Legendary

Activity: 1568
    Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 12:57:32 PM

this is in order to encourage mining i guess. if less fees, then the miners would not wish to secure the bitcoin, you understand that the cost of mining in bitcoin is too high, and at least $0.3 every GH and at lease 2 cents is gone per GH to pay the electricity, that would be a bit fair.

this would not benefit the transaction, explicitly. that's why i would recommend for 4MB on this.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
    i am not really active for some reason
    DimensionZ

Activity: 350
    Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 01:13:20 PM

Complex as in implementation, not the usage. Using Bitcoin will be pretty much the same.

It is not if you include the right fee.

1. It is not an 'obvious solution'.
    2. It does not solve anything, especially not for 'two years'.
    3. They withdrew their support.
    4. You wouldn't be asking such questions if you actually spent time reading threads. Two words: Validation time.

Wait so setting the miners fee above the average can move your transactions faster even if there is a backlog? I didn't know that trick.

Lauda
    Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
    January 22, 2016, 01:20:15 PM

Wait so setting the miners fee above the average can move your transactions faster even if there is a backlog? I didn't know that trick.
    Of course. The higher the fee, the higher the priority of your transaction. I've never had any problems transacting because I tend to add the highest possible fee with the wallet (Core, using the slider) or add a custom one that is even higher.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
    jonald_fyookball
    Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
    January 22, 2016, 01:32:48 PM

1. 2MB Block size
      • introduces a new attack vector
      • Simple change
      • Hard fork

2. SegWit
      • Fraud proofs
      • Soft fork

I'm definitely shilling for Core because obviously SegWit is not far superior to a 'simple' block size increase.  Roll Eyes I 'don't seem to always support them'. Do I support them in 'Core vs Classic', 'SegWit vs 2 MB blocks'? Yes.[/list]

HUH?

if its not far superior then why do it?

Also dont see what that has to do with your comment of "we would have this same discussion very soon if growth is going to increase".

whatevs. 

Roll Eyes

Lauda
      Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
      January 22, 2016, 01:39:49 PM

HUH?
      if its not far superior then why do it?
      Your sarcasm detector has run out of fuel or has never worked in the first place. One could easily conclude from that list that SegWit is much greater of the both proposals.

Also dont see what that has to do with your comment of "we would have this same discussion very soon if growth is going to increase".
      Because 2 MB blocks don't solve anything. All it does is kick the can a little bit down the road.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
      Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
        Print  

Jump to: