Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:08:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How would a P2P exchange work?  (Read 1081 times)
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:50:03 AM

I know that the exchanges are the weakest link in the system.  And after listening to that CBS interview today, where the guy talked about how they were closely working with governments to track transactions, I was kinda left with an empty feeling.   

I was watching a Youtube video with Bruce Wagner I think it was, and he was talking about P2P exchanges opening up in the near future.  (with apps and things)

Is this true?

And if so how would it work.

If its not true, will we be relying on sites like Mt. Gox forever? Or is there some other plan from the amazing brains that are behind bitcoin?

Thanks
Mike

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ArsenShnurkov
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:00:50 AM

And if so how would it work.

http://ripple-project.org/Protocol/Protocol05
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:05:12 AM

i understand.

And after listening to that CBS interview today, where the guy talked about how they were closely working with governments to track transactions, I was kinda left with an empty feeling.

but i also understand that there are laws:  and we subscribe to them - like it or not - by where we choose to live.  we can work to change them.  i do.  but the reality of it is the reality of guns.

we can also move to another location, more in keeping with our beliefs.  but there are risks in that, and loss.

i see no choice but to fight it - metaphorically.  that is, not with violence, but with money and votes and demonstrations and conversation.  never lose sight of who you are and what you believe, no matter who you are with.

i don't know what plans there are in "the amazing brains that are behind bitcoin".  we would all profit more by learning of your plans.
MrJoshua

Activity: 76
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:09:57 AM

Perhaps it will be thousands of bitcoin users meeting face to face and exchanging bitcoins for cash and goods, like I'm doing at WWDC in San Francisco.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12362.0

With a decentralized electronic currency we are all exchanges.

j

The value of bitcoins is not a theory, predictions of it's failure are what is theoretical.
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 06:44:54 PM

I know that the exchanges are the weakest link in the system.  And after listening to that CBS interview today, where the guy talked about how they were closely working with governments to track transactions, I was kinda left with an empty feeling.   

If its not true, will we be relying on sites like Mt. Gox forever? Or is there some other plan from the amazing brains that are behind bitcoin?

+1  Of course, have accounts at multiple exchanges in multiple jurisdictions and supports sites like http://ubitex.org/

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: