Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:29:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between sweeping private keys and simply sending btc?  (Read 824 times)
zxcc (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 07:44:35 PM

So I want to send coins from my online wallet to my cold storage wallet.

Should I just send it to the address of my cold storage wallet? Or sweep? What exactly is the difference?

I know sweeping moves the whole balance. But other than that, is it exactly the same?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 08:52:48 PM

Sweeping is using your private key on another client and sending all the coins on that key to another address, while just sending the coins doesn't require you to export your private keys.

The end result of just sending the coins or sweeping is the same, the difference being in exposing the private key while sweeping and exposing your password while sending.
zxcc (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 09:00:45 PM

Ok thanks.

I just set up a cold storage wallet on an offline computer and a watching only wallet on my online computer.

I want to send everything from my blockchain wallet to my electrum wallet. Should I just send the full amount instead of sweeping?

I notice I can only sweep from the offline wallet. What's the process if I sweeped?

Do I have to do the transaction thing as outlined here? http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/coldstorage.html

Finally, is there a way to get the cold storage wallet to show the correct balance?

I sent a small amount of btc to the watching only wallet so it shows a balance but since the offline computer has no way of knowing this, it doesn't show any transaction history or balance.

Sorry lot of questions. I read the documentation but it doesn't really have a lot of detailed instructions for cold storage.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 10:04:24 PM

Ok thanks.

I just set up a cold storage wallet on an offline computer and a watching only wallet on my online computer.

I want to send everything from my blockchain wallet to my electrum wallet. Should I just send the full amount instead of sweeping?

I notice I can only sweep from the offline wallet. What's the process if I sweeped?

Do I have to do the transaction thing as outlined here? http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/coldstorage.html

Finally, is there a way to get the cold storage wallet to show the correct balance?

I sent a small amount of btc to the watching only wallet so it shows a balance but since the offline computer has no way of knowing this, it doesn't show any transaction history or balance.

Sorry lot of questions. I read the documentation but it doesn't really have a lot of detailed instructions for cold storage.

You can just send, it's probably easier to do so from an online wallet, and the option to sweep on Electrum is greyed out when using a watch only copy.

The website you referred is explaining how to create a transaction on the online computer, sign it on the offline one and broadcast it on the online one, doesn't really apply to sweeping.

The cold storage wallet cannot show you a balance, obviously, otherwise it wouldn't be cold storage.
zxcc (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 01:17:17 AM

Ok just sent them. Everything seem to be in order except for 1 transaction that isn't confirming

But all in all whole process was a lot easier than I thought it'd be.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 02:20:16 PM

So I want to send coins from my online wallet to my cold storage wallet.

Should I just send it to the address of my cold storage wallet? Or sweep? What exactly is the difference?

I know sweeping moves the whole balance. But other than that, is it exactly the same?

Thanks

Sweeping is used when you have a private key of a paper wallet and you want to send the bitcoins there to your electrum wallet. Otherwise you just send the bitcoins to a receiving address in the target wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: