Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:23:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I finished a BTC poker app&back-end but don't see a revenue-model  (Read 3516 times)
Colt22

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 08:43:41 AM

I have a Linux/OSX/Windows/IOS/Android client written in Monkey X with a parse-dot-com based back-end developed. I'm in the stage of planning a revenue model for it now but I'm not seeing how you really make money off of it. You can't really charge high-rates for deposit-fees without driving away a lot of users, and selling it through licensing saturates the market.

I actually made the deposit fee dynamic with a cap. It basically factors deposits since the beginning of the month by days to adjust the deposit fee and it changes in real-time..

I figured I need around 400 active users a month just to pay for hosting.. THE QUESTION: Is this why there aren't many people doing this?

yes a btc poker app could be a nice way to play poker and spread btc...
nice work! I am ready to "test" and play
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Darwin84

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:35:50 AM

Yeah rake does seem to make sense the more I hear from users. I'd still make it dynamic with a cap.

I do want to mention one more thing. BTC poker is slim pickings. Recently someone well known in poker came up with a BTC site. It wasn't the best but it was nice enough for a v1.0 and it worked and took BTC and had the backing of a mid-range pro players name, and guess what 6 people showed up.  I haven't visited it lately but I think my craigslist ads get more hits.

If I was going to hit the BTC poker market today I would do it in one of two ways. Either host it from home or on a hack job to start so it costs nothing to run and can keep floating for years until it takes off - or option 2 make an interface so cutting edge that everyone wants to play it.
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:45:53 AM

Bad business model you have developed.You should considered how to implement the revenue model before deploying the application. Advertisements is certainly not a good idea for poker sites.Most of the websites around earn by rake ,you should be doing that as well.
DuddlyDoRight (OP)

Activity: 318
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 07:12:07 AM

Yeah rake does seem to make sense the more I hear from users. I'd still make it dynamic with a cap.

I do want to mention one more thing. BTC poker is slim pickings. Recently someone well known in poker came up with a BTC site. It wasn't the best but it was nice enough for a v1.0 and it worked and took BTC and had the backing of a mid-range pro players name, and guess what 6 people showed up.  I haven't visited it lately but I think my craigslist ads get more hits.

If I was going to hit the BTC poker market today I would do it in one of two ways. Either host it from home or on a hack job to start so it costs nothing to run and can keep floating for years until it takes off - or option 2 make an interface so cutting edge that everyone wants to play it.

I seen it before I even started coding this. I just wanted something with passive revenue and had spare time. All black-hat SEO, mining, and service models that were the alternatives required too much capital or had markets like this but with higher overhead mostly in time since I can do all the work, but too much time. Like grinding out content and websites for niche marketing, putting S7 miners on free electricity when pools are petahash rates, a secure tumbler on a dedicated host(expensive) etc..

I even looked for some overseen edge with low-level blockchain stuff to exploit in mining..

The server I wrote is on a x86 thin-client behind my NAT barely taking up any KWH. I have a parse.com server too if it gets too heavy and the database is portable. I didn't pay with anything but time so far. I wrote most of it in evenings inside a month.

If it doesn't work out I'll turn it in to a intranet kiosk solution and sale licenses..

Bad business model you have developed.You should considered how to implement the revenue model before deploying the application. Advertisements is certainly not a good idea for poker sites.Most of the websites around earn by rake ,you should be doing that as well.

I wanted a poker client either way. If BTC fails I license a kiosk intranet solution or as a WAN solution for a few grand a license. Whatever under-cuts the other 1-2 people already doing it.

I have faith that one day this forum will get threads where people won't just repeat their previous posts or what others have already stated in the same thread. Also that people will stop acting like BTC is toy-money and start holding vendors accountable. Naive? Maybe.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: