Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:38:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone used the HW.1 or Ledger Nano Bitcoin wallet?  (Read 3954 times)
Straux (OP)

Activity: 412
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 03:41:36 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2016, 10:32:57 AM by Straux

Hey guys, i'm thinking of purchasing a Ledger Nano. Has anyone had any previous experiences with it? It seems like a good investment.

PS. To set up my wallet, should I pay an extra 5 pounds just for a virtual machine?

EDIT - you have to pay an extra 5 pounds for shipping, and a kind gentleman has pointed out I can simply download their ISO file and stick it into a disk or something.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
japerry

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 04:36:35 AM

Hey guys, i'm thinking of purchasing a Ledger Nano. Has anyone had any previous experiences with it? It seems like a good investment.

PS. To set up my wallet, should I pay an extra 5 pounds just for a virtual machine?

I've been using the Ledger HW1 for some time now and I love it! The reviews have been positive and I think it's a great investment. I've tried it with the default wallet, Copay, and Electrum and it works well. I have even used it with the Electrum-LTC (Litecoin wallet) and it works.

AussieHash

Activity: 692
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 08:56:05 AM

You can download the Ledger starter ISO for free
http://support.ledgerwallet.com/knowledge_base/topics/how-to-initialize-my-ledger-wallet-on-an-air-gap
Straux (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 10:35:05 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2016, 12:05:32 PM by Straux

Yay! I've purchased their limited edition electrum HW.1, which looks quite nice. I'm a cheapskate though, I have to wait 14-40 days for the free shipping.

And if anyone was interested, I got it from hardwarewallet.com. There's one limited edition electrum one left!
japerry

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 06:33:02 AM

Yay! I've purchased their limited edition electrum HW.1, which looks quite nice. I'm a cheapskate though, I have to wait 14-40 days for the free shipping.

And if anyone was interested, I got it from hardwarewallet.com. There's one limited edition electrum one left!

Awesome! Welcome to the "Ledger Club"!

Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:21:09 AM

Im also thinking of purchasing a Ledger wallet. May i ask,
Where did you get that sig and what does it mean by "second factor"? By this do you mean to access the wallet I need the pin and the ledger/recovery seed?

Is it possible to enable email or Google authenticator confirmation, or will I have to use green address or electrum to do integrate with this extra factor?
japerry

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 11:48:05 AM

Where did you get that sig and what does it mean by "second factor"? By this do you mean to access the wallet I need the pin and the ledger/recovery seed?

Is it possible to enable email or Google authenticator confirmation, or will I have to use green address or electrum to do integrate with this extra factor?

When you use a Ledger device first you plug it into a USB port on your computer. The wallet you are using (Ledger Wallet, Electrum, Copay, GreenAddress) prompts you for a 4-digit code that you created when you initialized the Ledger device. When you are ready to spend funds, you must supply a response to a hashed 4-character query using the supplied security card that is unique to each and every Ledger device.

So you use 1 code to start the Ledger and then another code to spend funds.

Also instead of using the security card you can use your Android or iOS device to allow or deny spend transactions.

Does that help?

To answer the second part, Google Authenticator does not come into play with the Ledger device.

CoinSkipper

Activity: 136
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:32:38 PM

When you use a Ledger device first you plug it into a USB port on your computer. The wallet you are using (Ledger Wallet, Electrum, Copay, GreenAddress) prompts you for a 4-digit code that you created when you initialized the Ledger device. When you are ready to spend funds, you must supply a response to a hashed 4-character query using the supplied security card that is unique to each and every Ledger device.

Also instead of using the security card you can use your Android or iOS device to allow or deny spend transactions.

Does that help?

To answer the second part, Google Authenticator does not come into play with the Ledger device.

How would Straux communicate with the Ledger with his phone, if the ledger is practically a USB?
japerry

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2016, 11:19:08 AM

Does that help?

How would Straux communicate with the Ledger with his phone, if the ledger is practically a USB?

If his phone is OTG capable he could use Greenbits (The mobile version of GreenAddress). That's the only one I've tried. I think Mycelium will do it too but I haven't tried it.

smith coins

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 11:49:46 AM

Thanks for the tip, BIP39 Word list contains 2048 words, what are the chances to bruteforce the 24word seeds of the Ledger wallet?
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:21:57 PM

Thanks for the tip, BIP39 Word list contains 2048 words, what are the chances to bruteforce the 24word seeds of the Ledger wallet?

2048^24 as for each word it randomly choses one from the list, which would be 2.9642775e+79.

This number is astronimically high. It is basically creating a 24 character password, but instead of only keyboard input, you now have 2048 inputs to choose from.
smith coins

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:25:51 PM

2048^24 as for each word it randomly choses one from the list, which would be 2.9642775e+79.

This number is astronimically high. It is basically creating a 24 character password, but instead of only keyboard input, you now have 2048 inputs to choose from.
I know the number is really high(2.96e+79) but for bruteforcers how long can it take, because it is random they can probably be lucky and find within a month maybe!! I'm just curious.
japerry

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2016, 11:20:05 AM

Does that help?

If his phone is OTG capable he could use Greenbits (The mobile version of GreenAddress). That's the only one I've tried. I think Mycelium will do it too but I haven't tried it.

BTW I just tried Mycelium and it also works with the Ledger.

Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 01:48:29 AM

Does that help?

I just bought one of the GreenAddressIHW.1s. To be honest, I think it looks better than the electrum one.

What happens if you break or lose your Ledger? Do you have to buy another one, or is there a sort of warranty?  Smiley

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2016, 02:32:34 AM

Ledger disadvantages: must be initialized using a secure computer or the Starter. If using with a wallet on your phone you must use the security card to verify transactions. Cannot passphrase protect accounts as with a Trezor.

Advantages: low cost. If you use with your laptop you can pair with the Ledger App on your Android phone to authorize transactions avoiding use of the security card.

Ledger is a good way to get started with bitcoin hardware wallets at lowest cost.

Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 07:09:26 AM

Ledger disadvantages: must be initialized using a secure computer or the Starter. If using with a wallet on your phone you must use the security card to verify transactions. Cannot passphrase protect accounts as with a Trezor.

Advantages: low cost. If you use with your laptop you can pair with the Ledger App on your Android phone to authorize transactions avoiding use of the security card.

Ledger is a good way to get started with bitcoin hardware wallets at lowest cost.

You can simply download their speciallized OS ISO file, and apply it to a disk. You can start up your wallet from there safely.
Straux (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 11:17:43 AM

Does that help?

I just bought one of the GreenAddressIHW.1s. To be honest, I think it looks better than the electrum one.

What happens if you break or lose your Ledger? Do you have to buy another one, or is there a sort of warranty?  Smiley

Congratulations on your purchase! But I personally think the Electrum is better, I'm an electrum fanboy.

If you lose or break your Ledger, from what I understand, you can open the chrome wallet/your chosen Ledger wallet and restore your wallet using the 24-word recovery seed. You then withdraw the coins to an online wallet or something.

No, Ledger will not restore your wallet AFAIK. You will have to buy another wallet, or use an online wallet, as I have said above.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 01:55:20 PM

Only heared good feedback about ledger nano and HW.1.
From Friends and from online reputations.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 02:36:26 PM

Ledger HW.1 is a good way to get a low cost introduction to bitcoin hardware wallets. Once you find you like the security consider moving up to a Trezor. The advanced features will make you wonder why you did not buy one in the first place.

twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 03:13:15 PM

I am thinking of buying a hardware wallet too and Ledger wallet seems to be the cheapest ones around, btw what's the difference between the different ledger wallets?

Ledger HW.1 is a good way to get a low cost introduction to bitcoin hardware wallets. Once you find you like the security consider moving up to a Trezor. The advanced features will make you wonder why you did not buy one in the first place.

Trezor is good but way too costly but I guess if you have tonnes of bitcoin it makes sense investing in it.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████