Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:55:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] ABCore - the first Bitcoin Core running on Android - Support Thread  (Read 1636 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
drizzt (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

Developer

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 10:38:23 AM

an Android app that makes it easy to run Bitcoin Core by acting as a wrapper.

ABCore is an Android app designed to make it easier to run a Bitcoin Core node on always on Android appliances such as set top boxes or repurposed tables/phones.

This app requires various gigabytes of disk space and is not to meant to run on 3G or 4G networks as it potentially downloads/uploads gigabytes of data.
Root is not required.

ABCore is released under the terms of the MIT license.

You can find the source code on https://github.com/greenaddress/abcore

The project is still in alpha stage, but you can download a PoC (Proof Of Concept).

If you find any bug please report on our GitHub Issue Tracker.
If you can't open an issue on GitHub, just add a post on this thread and I'll open the issue for you.

Community manager of ABCore
Bitrated user: drizzt.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drizzt (OP)

Developer

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 10:47:19 AM

First announcement of ABCore in a Bitcoin Meetup in Milan

HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 04:03:23 PM

This is one of best BTC projects in the world. Everyone have mobile, so this project will have bright future  Wink
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 05:21:53 PM

Any idea if it would run on android x86? I have an old netbook I plan to get Android x86 on, would be neat if it could run a full node.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
drizzt (OP)

Developer

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 05:45:44 PM

Any idea if it would run on android x86? I have an old netbook I plan to get Android x86 on, would be neat if it could run a full node.

Yes it runs, we support amd64, i386, armhf and aarch64

mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 06:59:20 PM

Just installed it on my Xtreamer but it can't see the external HD, will wait for a newer version Smiley
ihavearedcouch

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 10:36:26 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2016, 06:43:07 AM by ihavearedcouch

This is one of best BTC projects in the world. Everyone have mobile, so this project will have bright future  Wink

Thank you for your feedback!
But ABCore is not intended (even if possibile) to be installed on mobile devices.
It has been projected to be installed on home Android devices, with larger storage capability and 24/7 connected.

A good micro SD can hold 128GB, enough for the BC (at the moment), have an Hard Drive is better anyway.

ABCore is supposed to be for mobile devices. Imagine all the outdated tablets with decayed batteries sitting out there gathering dust (strap a usb charger on them and now they fit your requisite). If bitcoin supporters continue to grow, you can expect these individuals to stand behind their money by adding to the decentralized community and what's better than low powered unused devices? The price on memory has dropped to insanely affordable levels; a 128GB micro sd can be bought for 34 dollars, and/or a USB OTG adapter with Ethernet and USB hub support can also be bought for 16 dollars.

And heres the beautiful kicker: The reason why they're keeping the blocksize unchanged is for these devices! Because they know that the smaller blocksize will allow all these low powered devices to continue the decentralized nature of the bitcoin network.

please fix the external usb issue, i will donate specifically if i can get a node up on my android.
marckenigsberg

Activity: 164
Merit: 19

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 12:13:43 PM

This is very cool.
To make sure I understand, the recommendation is then an Android device running Wi-Fi?
Do you know how much memory would be needed?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: