Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:34:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins.co.ke - Kenya/Africa Bitcoin portal  (Read 9903 times)
weex (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 10:19:20 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2013, 03:11:18 AM by weex

How can Kenyan undergound artists sell music globally at true market rates?
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 09:47:15 AM

It looks like it's advancing fast, great! :-)

So, what's needed next, thinking in big steps?

Ente
baggyp

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:03:49 AM

well done sir! I really want to help this project in any way I can, I see it as a good thing not only for the Bitcoin, but for Africa. Early adoption of bitcoin could do alot for that continent.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:25:22 AM

So, what's needed next, thinking in big steps?

well done sir! I really want to help this project in any way I can, I see it as a good thing not only for the Bitcoin, but for Africa. Early adoption of bitcoin could do alot for that continent.

Thank you both! Here are some steps big and small that would be great to take:

* We need to build the local exchanger network on localbitcoins.com. Perhaps a document that describes the process or helping to fund some Swahili translations could help with that.
* I think growing the local community on the forums and through Twitter (@BitcoinAfrica has been setup for this purpose) would be good. We need a moderator or two who can visit the site daily and approve new users.
* Other tasks I've been starting with have been to contact local publications and other local tech startups to let them know about Bitcoin, offer help if they have any questions about the technology, and help to connect them with others that are local to them.

The focus has been on Nairobi so far but exploring other African tech centers will become important over time.

Ente
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:05:25 PM

..lets get some more users and posts in http://www.bitcoins.co.ke/forum :-)
I'll start!

Ente
ahmed9979

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 05:45:57 PM

I can do Arabic translation for the site, would you be interested?.
Werosim

Activity: 384
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 11:45:46 PM

Yes, how are you?

mai77

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:10:41 AM

good luck to you.  Cool

may we the people overcome all central banks in the world!   Cool
pvaladares

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:49:28 PM

I may start the Portuguese version.
There are severals countries in Africa that currently use Portuguese language (Angola, Mozambique, etc).

Give me some feedback.

CryptoCurrency enthusiastic!
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:02:08 AM

I may start the Portuguese version.
There are severals countries in Africa that currently use Portuguese language (Angola, Mozambique, etc).

Give me some feedback.

Good approach!
Like, a whole new portal, or a portuguese translation of bitcoins.co.ke?
With the currently little members and activity, I would suggest concentrate all of them in one place (as a neginning at least).

Ente
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:40:14 PM

New Post:

Afrinnovator - Bitcoin Crypto-currency and the opportunity for a truly Pan-Africa money revolution

- http://www.bitcoins.co.ke/forum/showthread.php?tid=36
 - http://afrinnovator.com/blog/2013/04/01/bitcoin-crypto-currency-and-the-opportunity-for-a-truly-pan-africa-money-revolution/
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164451.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

cypher-punk

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 10:07:39 AM

excellent idea!
IntentionTech

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:51:26 AM

It'd be useful for the site to be mirrored or at least some content in Swahili/Kiswahili.  Arabic and French would also be useful for an African audience.  Plus making the site work well on a 2G mobile phone would be a good idea.  As that's how most Africans access the internet.

Any suggestions on design and test for 2g mobile phones when you don't have one? Guess I'd better figure out what text to post and get translated in the first place.

There may be someone on here that will translate for bitcoins
pelleb

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:14:07 AM

Hi Kenyan bitcoiners.

We're launching a wallet with mpesa to bitcoin integration. We performed the first M-Pesa to Bitcoin sale 2 weeks ago.

Our site is http://kipochi.com and yes we have a version in Kiswahili http://kipochi.com/sw/

I'd be interested in hearing feedback and perhaps organizing a meetup here in Nairobi.

Asante sana

Pelle
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:26:20 PM

Hi Kenyan bitcoiners.

We're launching a wallet with mpesa to bitcoin integration. We performed the first M-Pesa to Bitcoin sale 2 weeks ago.

Our site is http://kipochi.com and yes we have a version in Kiswahili http://kipochi.com/sw/

I'd be interested in hearing feedback and perhaps organizing a meetup here in Nairobi.

Asante sana

Pelle
Can anyone from Kenya confirm a successful M-Pesa transaction through this Website?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 07:34:14 PM

(slightly OT but this is the only Kenya thread).

As the Bitcoin activity in Kenya seems to be picking up, I have added Swahili as a target language for MultiBit.
If you are a Swahili speaker and are interested in helping translate, please have a look at:

http://translate.multibit.org

Asante!

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 12:24:41 PM

Great project, I wish you all well. I went camping in Uganda for two weeks last January. My cousin has been a missionary/veterinarian there for 22 years. She got married, I went to play music for her wedding (along with two sisters, and some cousins). We were in the Karamoja area (northeast Uganda, not far from Kenya).

Where we were was amazingly primitive. The Karamojong do not really have currency, other than cattle. One of the things that impressed me greatly, was the wide use of cellphones in Uganda (not among the Karamojong, but on the way there). There was widespread use of "Mobile Money", an SMS protocol to facilitate peer to peer money. People that lived in cardboard boxes have old candy bar phones, and there are plenty of street kiosks to sell air time, charging, and give cash for the mobile money.

This is one of the things that got me interested in Bitcoin. Bringing currency and payments to the otherwise unbankable.

Thank you for your observations!
Yes, we hear "hey, Bitcoin would be good for Africa!" regularly, but it's first-hand experiences like yours which show the path.

Maybe we need to go big on this. Like, founding a Bitcoin-Africa-Foundation. Have some dedicated people, have funds from the community, and do it right.

Ente
nanobtc

Activity: 601
Merit: 610

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 01:59:10 PM

Some of the strengths of BTC seem like they could be problems in Africa. BTC is by nature peer to peer. To use it on dumb phones requires a middleman (M-Pesa, Mobile Money, whoever). They are big companies, they probably won't start using this new currency, without a surcharge. And really, that is fine, as long as it doesn't get taxed into the ground.

I asked someone what happens when they lose their phone. They said it's all based on their password, and that the money is "out there" (waving hands in the air) and not on their phone. I guess "the cloud" buzzword has not made it to the small villages yet. Although in the Ugandan capital, Kampala, English is widely spoken, in Uganda there are 40 dialects (much a variation of Swahili). English letters and numbers on phones are alien, but they learn to use them.

Many governments in Africa are very corrupt as well, I don't know how well a truly decentralized currency would be accepted. I live in the USA, and have the same thoughts about BTC here.

Lennon: "free as a bird"
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 07:46:35 PM

Some of the strengths of BTC seem like they could be problems in Africa. BTC is by nature peer to peer. To use it on dumb phones requires a middleman (M-Pesa, Mobile Money, whoever). They are big companies, they probably won't start using this new currency, without a surcharge. And really, that is fine, as long as it doesn't get taxed into the ground.
The difference with Bitcoin is that it can help in different ways. No company can have a monopoly on Bitcoin transactions so it breeds competition in whatever it touches. If the technical know-how were there, there could be hundreds of sms powered services backed by Bitcoin. Or maybe they'd use their own servers and Android apps to help move value around with Bitcoin serving as the economic backbone.

Many governments in Africa are very corrupt as well, I don't know how well a truly decentralized currency would be accepted. I live in the USA, and have the same thoughts about BTC here.
Yeah, it will be tough some places but that's why education and building relationships with all stakeholders is important. The more Bitcoin is seen not so much as an inevitable force but more as a source of competitive advantage (you do want competitive advantage, right?) the more it will be supported.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 02:55:25 PM

hi weex,

I'm having trouble logging in.   I don't see an error message, but submit on the user login just reloads the page without authenticating me (says "Hello There, Guest!").   I've tried with both my e-mail address as username, and with a username as well.  Both behave the same way.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █