Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:14:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SOLUTION: Right now, stop mining on deepbit and pick a new pool.  (Read 6158 times)
minerX

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:51:04 AM

What?  I always sell my stocks at 1% upswing and it's working out well so far.  Why do you think Mt. Gox is behind?  I send like 500 transaction per day.  I keep buying and then selling when it instantly goes up 1%.

I'm seeing all kinds of fluctuation!

Oh you play the noise. Nice. So you buy (and pay the .65% fee), wait until it goes up 1%, then sell (and pay the .65% fee). I knew you were bright, but this takes the cake.

... Oh damn.  There's a fee?  I'll have to sell at 165% from now on!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
irishmick

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:40:56 AM

What?  I always sell my stocks at 1% upswing and it's working out well so far.  Why do you think Mt. Gox is behind?  I send like 500 transaction per day.  I keep buying and then selling when it instantly goes up 1%.

Oh you play the noise. Nice. So you buy (and pay the .65% fee), wait until it goes up 1%, then sell (and pay the .65% fee). I knew you were bright, but this takes the cake.

Well I was going to say something about capital gains, but then realized I probably shouldn't hijack the thread anymore than it already has been.... ;o)

http://doge.crypto49er.com:9555         http://doge-eu.crypto49er.com:9555
Pool donations: DTPgwgDvyDL3vcnJFf33nkhBm6o2ZxVT6G
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:01:06 AM

With respect to the network and this community I've redirected my miners off of deepbit to elsewhere. After getting more hardware I'll be making sure to distribute my hashing evenly across several pools.
minerX

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:22:41 AM

Well I was going to say something about capital gains, but then realized I probably shouldn't hijack the thread anymore than it already has been.... ;o)

TrollJack!
Tukotih

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:26:32 AM

Why did you create another thread when 6 other threads with the exact same subject exist? Do you really need the personal negative attention that people will give you for spamming the forum with duplicate threads?
Its a serious fucking issue, maybe the morons mining at deepbit will actually see one of these threads and think about what you are doing to the network.
Herp derp... make 6 threads "morons" will ignore them all. Make 7 threads, fuck yeah, they instantly, unanimously decide to switch to other pools. I like your logic.
For every thread on the first page of this sub-forum the higher chance that morons will wake up and realize what has to be done.

Donations always appreciated: 1GkRu9rZxk5iMRzsrcZxZ3BUHV1SWNZ9RB
IMPORTANT! Switch from deepbit: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8653.0
MrGaSp

Activity: 418
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:12:14 AM

With respect to the network and this community I've redirected my miners off of deepbit to elsewhere. After getting more hardware I'll be making sure to distribute my hashing evenly across several pools.

Thank you.

And for everyone else...this 7th or what ever thread it is, helped.
m4rkiz

Activity: 170

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:37:18 AM

On a serious note though, what the hell are we supposed to do?
The owner of deepbit doesn't give a shit about breaking over 50%

you need to make better pool (with at least same uptime and functionality that deepbit have) and advertise it

unfortunately what we have instead is a bunch of panicking newbies spamming with shitload of dumb topics in which they want to ddos deepbit
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:47:14 AM

Why did you create another thread when 6 other threads with the exact same subject exist? Do you really need the personal negative attention that people will give you for spamming the forum with duplicate threads?
Its a serious fucking issue, maybe the morons mining at deepbit will actually see one of these threads and think about what you are doing to the network.
Herp derp... make 6 threads "morons" will ignore them all. Make 7 threads, fuck yeah, they instantly, unanimously decide to switch to other pools. I like your logic.
For every thread on the first page of this sub-forum the higher chance that morons will wake up and realize what has to be done.
Yes, do insult forum peers straight-up for their natural tendency to not know absolutely everything in the Universe... that should teach them, it's the right way to do it!
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:08:22 PM

Yes, do insult forum peers straight-up for their natural tendency to not know absolutely everything in the Universe... that should teach them, it's the right way to do it!

No need to know everything in the universe, just that you are a miner, so that your business with Bitcoin is:

1) Provide security to the network, which you threaten if you're in DeepBit.
2) Make a profit off of it, lol 3% fee.

rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:13:48 PM

On a serious note though, what the hell are we supposed to do?
The owner of deepbit doesn't give a shit about breaking over 50%

you need to make better pool (with at least same uptime and functionality that deepbit have) and advertise it

unfortunately what we have instead is a bunch of panicking newbies spamming with shitload of dumb topics in which they want to ddos deepbit

Oh, so you will happily mine away without concern of network health simply for a little extra up time and functionality? (Not to mention making less Bitcoins) (Oh, and there are other ways to mitigate the risk of a pool going down, and deepbit's functionality doesn't come close to some of the pools that have real time stats, etc.)

There are some people posting in these threads that are making valid points in a polite manner. The topics aren't "dumb" because the concern is real. I'll agree with your last point, DDOS is stupid.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:32:29 PM

1) Provide security to the network, which you possibly threaten if you're in DeepBit.
FTFY

I agree but other pools have stale shares, downtime, weird score formulas, longer payouts, etc... each has it's own strong points.
rezin777

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:40:24 PM

1) Provide security to the network, which you possibly threaten if you're in DeepBit.
FTFY

I agree but other pools have stale shares, downtime, weird score formulas, longer payouts, etc... each has it's own strong points.

Nah, he was correct the first time.

2. To be a source of danger to

Regardless if an attack occurs, mining in deepbit increases the ease of such an attack and is dangerous for the network.

You buckle your seat belt when you drive, because you don't want to threaten your safety by not buckling it. You may never be involved in a wreck, but you take precautions against danger in case you are.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:47:29 PM

FTFY

This is were I argue that a threat is a possibility by definition. But let's not delve into semantics.

Every pool has stale shares and downtime. The "weird score formula" has a valid reason to it and doesn't change your payout compared to proportional pools. Instant payouts is the only thing DeepBit had going for it. BTCguild offers that service for a 2.5% fee.

The point remains. You don't need omniscience as a miner. There are only 2 things you have to pay attention to when you get involved with mining, 2 things that aren't promoted by DeepBit. So I think the DeepBit fanboys deserve the flames coming their way, as well as all the people who join DeepBit cause "hurr durr biggest pool".

m4rkiz

Activity: 170

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:49:53 PM

Oh, so you will happily mine away without concern of network health simply for a little extra up time and functionality? (Not to mention making less Bitcoins) (Oh, and there are other ways to mitigate the risk of a pool going down, and deepbit's functionality doesn't come close to some of the pools that have real time stats, etc.)

There are some people posting in these threads that are making valid points in a polite manner. The topics aren't "dumb" because the concern is real. I'll agree with your last point, DDOS is stupid.

when i started with mining deepbit was one and only pool with open registrations so thanks, i will stick to tycho
so far all things about double spending are more conspiracy theories than actual, immediate danger

as for these threads - they are all whining from people that are here for week or two, instead of doing some work, making few screenshots, summing up all pros and cons of all available pools, showing fees and pps options available, they have one thing and one thing only - let's ddos tycho's pool for "greater good"

there is plenty that can be done IF one really want to help spread computing power more evenly, but it seems that we have script kids invasion that just want to fire loic for lulz

rezin777

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:53:49 PM

when i started with mining deepbit was one and only pool with open registrations so thanks, i will stick to tycho
so far all things about double spending are more conspiracy theories than actual, immediate danger

as for these threads - they are all whining from people that are here for week or two, instead of doing some work, making few screenshots, summing up all pros and cons of all available pools, showing fees and pps options available, they have one thing and one thing only - let's ddos tycho's pool for "greater good"

there is plenty that can be done IF one really want to help spread computing power more evenly, but it seems that we have script kids invasion that just want to fire loic for lulz

OK. Mine where you like. I've posted in pretty much all of those threads and never whined or suggested DDOS. On any public forum you have to wade through some B.S. to get any decent information. There is plenty that can be done if you really wanted to help spread the computing power more evenly, but I guess you aren't concerned. That's OK. I'll keep being concerned if that's alright with you.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:13:13 PM

Yeah I started on the DeepBit too cuz it was the only pool with open registration at the time (late March). Why though? Cuz slush's pool was being hammered so hard for being the better pool (and it still is better than DeepBit). And as soon as slush's pool reopened I moved there.

The double spending issue is much more real than you like to depict it when you add in the DeepBit flock, which won't step of out of the pool, no matter what. You seem to omit the security concepts that Bitcoin employs, i.e. an attack costs more than the benefit it allows you rip. This concept wards the network against "theft". It doesn't ward it against "arson". The proof of work system is there to ensure that those who simply want to harm Bitcoin have to employ large resources, seemingly proportional to the network "wealth", in order to do so. That the network itself provides such huge point of concentration of the very resources required to attack it opens it to anyone willing to take the opportunity. The only thing they need to do is to hack into 1 pool. And don't say that's impossible, it already happened in the past.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 10:40:08 PM

This is were I argue that a threat is a possibility by definition. But let's not delve into semantics.

Nice catch.  Just wanted to state that I agree with you before posting this:

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████