Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:36:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you short if price goes to the moon?  (Read 1798 times)
joe 90

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 02:00:38 PM

I have never shorted because I don't have the nerves of steel required for gambling. At the top of the last pump would have been the ideal place to short, and if we get a new ATH in the thousands there will be a much bigger crash from the top. Shorting from that top would be even more lucrative than shorting from the last one, but I'll miss out because I'm no good at predicting the top, and I lack shorter's nerves.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 02:15:22 PM

Im tempted to short if I sense that the price is way too high and a correction may follow. Of course we are far from that, I suspect we will have an epic rally during the halving, but then comes the question: To sell during the halving in hopes a correction happen to buy more Bitcoin, or to just hold it?

The end goal is obviously to get throught it with more Bitcoin, I don't want to stay in fiat since that's suicidal long term, anything that isn't Bitcoin long term is a waste of time, but I don't know if I should short. What if you sell at $1,000 but it keeps going up and you are left out? where do you even buy back? I can see a lot of people deeply regreting trying to short when the price starts raising fast.. it's a big gamble.

It sounds like your end goals are broadly the same as mine. I wouldn't short.

What I would do instead is either sell call options or buy put options.

Buying puts, you spend a fixed amount of BTC and then profit when the price falls (or lose all of your initial investment if price doesn't fall). There's a saying in options trading - no one ever got rich buying options. Which leads me to...

Selling calls, you immediately make a fixed amount of BTC. However, if price rises you can suffer a theoretically infinite loss. However... you can prevent this by buying an equal number of puts, with a higher "strike price".

As an example, right now BTC/USD price is around $460. Let's assume that this is an ATH (willing suspension of disbelief required - forget about December 2013!) and we expect price to fall. The current asking price for a call with a $460 strike price (on Coinut) is 0.001446 BTC - that's for a contract worth 0.1 BTC. You sell 10 of these, making 0.01446 (minus a commission to the exchange). That looks like instant profit, but if the price rises that "profit" will evaporate. To prevent this, you also buy a call, this time with a higher strike price. A call with a strike price of $475 costs 0.001292 (that's the asking price - you could place a lower bid and hope a seller accepts your bid). Buying 10 of these will cost you 0.01292 - meaning you've made 0.00154 BTC. If price does rise, then your losses are limited. This is obviously just an example, and I am not saying that this is a good idea at this time! You might also want to trade more than 10 contracts - or less.

I like options because I can enter a position knowing exactly how much I could lose (or profit). I like that I can hedge like this, and holding an opening position doesn't give me sleepness nights. I couldn't say the same about shorting!

What I don't like about (BTC) options is the lack of choice with respect to exchanges. Coinut is currently the only exchange offering "vanilla" options (the kind I've discussed above). Other sites offer "binary options", which seem to me to be much closer to gambling - win a fixed amount if the price goes up, regardless of how much it goes up. There's an exchange called Quedex which is opening "soon", and has been so for several months. Coinut has been controversial on BCT recently - they messed up their signature campaign payments, and were slow in rectifying that. I left the campaign, and withdrew my BTC from their site. I'm monitoring things, and may well trade there again - until the recent problems I'd not had any problems there.

This space intentionally left blank.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 02:52:58 PM

it depends. i'm a trader, if i think the price reached the top, then i will sell if i am about to make a nice profit. at this point that's not the case. right now i am holding. but i will definitely sell if i think i can buy back lower.
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 03:05:55 PM

It would be stupid not to short. Looking at the history of bitcoin there was never a secur period for longer then 3 months. Always it goes up or goes down again.
Just look what happend after we hit 1200 USD..

Altynbekova

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 03:09:25 PM

For me the moment to short is when we reach a price above 1200k.
A higher price is not sustainable looking towards the potential (the current potential). It's innovative.. yes but there's a lot of work to do yet.
Oscoda

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 05:40:27 PM

I would short it big time.
With everything that goes up, you see it goes down very quickly after the high. Investors want to take profit and so the price comes in a decline. If the rise is high enough the fall back wave will be bigger too.
jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 07:30:12 PM

Currently it's way to risky to short bitcoin.

Only the real insiders now what is going to happen. But yes if we touch $1500 . I will short it for sure.
Like every price wave eventually it will go down again so a decent amount of money can be made then.
7Priest7

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 06:35:32 PM

Im tempted to short if I sense that the price is way too high and a correction may follow. Of course we are far from that, I suspect we will have an epic rally during the halving, but then comes the question: To sell during the halving in hopes a correction happen to buy more Bitcoin, or to just hold it?

The end goal is obviously to get throught it with more Bitcoin, I don't want to stay in fiat since that's suicidal long term, anything that isn't Bitcoin long term is a waste of time, but I don't know if I should short. What if you sell at $1,000 but it keeps going up and you are left out? where do you even buy back? I can see a lot of people deeply regreting trying to short when the price starts raising fast.. it's a big gamble.

answer is simple, yes, yes i will if price will go to 800$ or more, that's pretty high for me because i hold my bitcoins just to sell them later, i'm going long but if price will rise randomly to top really really fast, then i and probably others will sell bitcoins too
maokoto

Activity: 770

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 06:43:14 PM

I feel that price is rebounding time and time again, so yes, I would short to then buy lower. I do want to have BTC for the long term, but it is quite bouncy and I prefer to hold some and play with some in order to get some profit from ups and downs.

upsidedown75
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 06:49:08 PM

I feel that price is rebounding time and time again, so yes, I would short to then buy lower. I do want to have BTC for the long term, but it is quite bouncy and I prefer to hold some and play with some in order to get some profit from ups and downs.
But I never prefer to go short with respect to bitcoin anywhere. I personally feel it would be more risky to go short with respect to bitcoin always. Because we don't know when bitcoin prices start flying.
Ulloa

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 10:18:26 PM

Yeah eventually it's like what goes up, must go down. And this rule also applies for bitcoin. Altough you can never be sure as to where the top lies.
In general i would short as much as i buy.. just a little.
croato

Activity: 616

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 10:46:12 PM

If we reach new ATH, i will take some profit and short some of my coins. I was doing that before and gain some extra coins (i could do better but no complaining, some profit is taken). It is pretty much gamble from my point of view though.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 02:58:24 AM

it depends. i'm a trader, if i think the price reached the top, then i will sell if i am about to make a nice profit. at this point that's not the case. right now i am holding. but i will definitely sell if i think i can buy back lower.

Even as a trader, assuming day trading it has all the risks no one wants.

Esp when you dont know the next following day the price turns against you and youre there looking at the screen price drops.
23who23

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 03:22:03 AM

yes
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: