Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:26:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Turn off S7's during peak hours? Special deal from power company...  (Read 1641 times)
Myffas

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 12:53:29 PM

Of course it would be worth it. Don't even have second thought on it since the difference of rate in peak hours it's crazy high as opposed to normal hours plus it's just 5 hours a day so it would even help lengthen the miners life as it gets some rest daily as opposed to running it 24/7 so the pros are more than it's cons so switch the S7 off during peak hours.

Cycling on and off daily actually shorten life of electronics. Thermal dilatation of chip compared to PCB bends the leads of the chips and eventually fatigue fails them. Good board design would not be affected by thermal cycling while bad ones would be destroyed.

That being said, I don’t think this would really affect the reliability of your miners and I would most likely shut them down every day at that extreme electricity rate.

I have had a few miners die during the power-up phase.  That was from a cold start.  That's why I suggest that he leave them in an idle state where they're only drawing like 50W to run the fans and keep the OS active and plug the cable back in when the cheap rates go online.

Is that due to cycling? The power difference between 50W or 0W and 1200W is very big. 50W cannot keep your PCB warm.

I was about to write the same thing. Mastsetad, you've been faster Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:22:46 AM

By far the highest probability of anything electronic dying is when you turn it on - lots of extra stress on a lot of the components, especially inrush currents in power supplies.

This is the reason some companies tell their employees "leave the computer on", despite the cost of the extra electric usage.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Myffas

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 01:09:32 PM

By far the highest probability of anything electronic dying is when you turn it on - lots of extra stress on a lot of the components, especially inrush currents in power supplies.

This is the reason some companies tell their employees "leave the computer on", despite the cost of the extra electric usage.

So your suggestion is to underclock the miners during peak hours? Hard to tell what to do, at that price its lots of money to maybe increase life of miners.

Is there an easy way to switch overclock/underclock on a timmer ?
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 05:39:10 PM

So your suggestion is to underclock the miners during peak hours? Hard to tell what to do, at that price its lots of money to maybe increase life of miners.

Is there an easy way to switch overclock/underclock on a timmer ?

I am not sure how the S7 responds in terms of current consumption and reliable restarting? But if they reliably restart and the current reduces significantly then you could just turn on & off the Internet connection on a timer?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 09:07:10 PM

Depending on your router, it's possible you might be able to control the miners access to the Internet. I have seen some routeers that had "Parental Control" options, the idea being that they could limit their kids access to the Internet based on time of day. I have never tried to do such a thing, but I know they exist.

I would think that some kind of cron job running on the miner might be able to re-jigger the cgminer config file at the right time and then force a restart of cgminer. I think something like that was present on the SP20, and the general idea could be transplanted to the Antminer S7 environment.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 07:51:33 AM

Presuming the S7 is like the S5 (I don't have an actual S7 but it seems like the software didn't change much between the two from what I've read), you probably have to SSH into it, write a script to change the clock, and run a CRON job to change it on a timer.

This should be a much safer option to cycling the power, and has the plus that if you set it up right it autoreboots your miner a couple times a day so you don't have to monitor it as closely.

That was one nice thing about the Spondoolies SP20, they had "change the undervolt settings" in the web interface - though it tended to bug out and you had to re-edit by hand in the actual chon file if you had more than 2 or 3 total settings.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: