Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:27:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to defend yourself against account hacks  (Read 934 times)
zaj (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 09:42:01 PM

i"m getting paranoid i think. i'm getting constant mails of people trying to access my gmail accounts, game accounts etc. so that must mean i have leaked my username/password somewhere in the past and i'm affraid i might have used the same combinations for my btcjam/gox/blockchain accounts etc.. even if i change my passwords the log in attempts keep coming ...i don't think anyone has had access to any accounts of mine besides an old wow account were i fel into an e-mail scam like 6 years ago.. should i be worried?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 10:27:45 PM

You can protect your bitcoins by using paper wallets.

You could leave private keys with small amounts of bitcoins in places as bait to see if hackers will take them.  Use a "watching only" wallet to detect theft.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 06:57:45 AM

i"m getting paranoid i think. i'm getting constant mails of people trying to access my gmail accounts, game accounts etc. so that must mean i have leaked my username/password somewhere in the past and i'm affraid i might have used the same combinations for my btcjam/gox/blockchain accounts etc.. even if i change my passwords the log in attempts keep coming ...i don't think anyone has had access to any accounts of mine besides an old wow account were i fel into an e-mail scam like 6 years ago.. should i be worried?
Yes, you should be worried as you're in their radar.
Try LastPass and secure it with a great password (12+ random chars) and 2FA. Regenerate every account password you have and use the max limit possible (16+ chars, symbols etc) with LastPass.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3196

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 07:18:34 AM

Keep in mind that these emails about people attempting to gain access to your accounts are phishing emails. In other words, the only people trying to get your accounts are the people that sent you the emails. I hope you didn't click on any links in those emails.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 07:23:45 AM

Keep in mind that these emails about people attempting to gain access to your accounts are phishing emails. In other words, the only people trying to get your accounts are the people that sent you the emails. I hope you didn't click on any links in those emails.

+1. Best way to deal with this if you're paranoid is to go to the website directly (do NOT click the links in the emails) and change the password.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: