Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:13:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the market cap of the alternative coins?  (Read 1346 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2012, 09:20:40 AM

All combined / individual alts?

I once had a website called Bitcoin Pie that showed the market caps.
Didn't update it in a while (pull requests are welcome).

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2012, 01:47:47 PM

http://proofofstake.com/

is good for PPC market cap... not sure on other coins though

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 01:50:33 PM

Wait can those charts be right?

Market cap of PPC is ~4K BTC @ ~0.0004 BTC per PPC.  So roughly 10 million PPC minted?  2 million were minted in one day?  So 20% of the market cap was produced 2 days after the project launched?
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2012, 02:06:02 PM

Market cap of PPC is ~4K BTC @ ~0.0004 BTC per PPC.  So roughly 10 million PPC minted?  2 million were minted in one day?  So 20% of the market cap was produced 2 days after the project launched?

My major issue with PPC was always its rushed delivery.
I also have yet to understand how the coin supply chart looks like.

This is one major advantage to Bitcoin over some variants - it's very simple to understand its behavior.
You buy 1 BTC today for $X, you know exactly how much you'll have out of the future BTC economy forever.
The only variable is "how much will the BTC economy be worth".

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 02:35:52 PM

Market cap of PPC is ~4K BTC @ ~0.0004 BTC per PPC.  So roughly 10 million PPC minted?  2 million were minted in one day?  So 20% of the market cap was produced 2 days after the project launched?

There are about 14.6 million PPC minted at an average rate of 126,000 per day. Thus 2 million is like 20 days worth of production. It is a lot, but you have to keep in mind that the currency has been around for less than 4 months. This was a gold rush, not premine. (though in my book there is absolutely nothing wrong with a complete premine of all coins).

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 09:15:25 AM

There are about 14.6 million PPC minted at an average rate of 126,000 per day. Thus 2 million is like 20 days worth of production. It is a lot, but you have to keep in mind that the currency has been around for less than 4 months. This was a gold rush, not premine. (though in my book there is absolutely nothing wrong with a complete premine of all coins).

14.6 million coins in 4 months, more then bitcoin in 4 years. It's not even a pre-mine, it's a up-down-up-down-left-right-left-right-a-b cheat code.

more or less retired.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 09:34:51 AM

Market cap of PPC is ~4K BTC @ ~0.0004 BTC per PPC.  So roughly 10 million PPC minted?  2 million were minted in one day?  So 20% of the market cap was produced 2 days after the project launched?

14.6 million coins in 4 months, more then bitcoin in 4 years. It's not even a pre-mine, it's a up-down-up-down-left-right-left-right-a-b cheat code.
I'm not understanding you. It follows the rules which I explained above. I think the rules are fine.
You seem to think that the absolute number of coins released has some significance. It doesn't.

FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 09:40:34 AM

I'm not understanding you. It follows the rules which I explained above. I think the rules are fine.
You seem to think that the absolute number of coins released has some significance. It doesn't.

Yeah more coins means that we have faster millionaires in PPC.... still worth not much though Tongue

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 09:43:48 AM

Just like you can't predict the absolute path of money supply growth when the Dollar was introduced...i don't see how prediction matters.

Keep in mind there are trillions of dollars in this world, let alone more of other currencies.

14 million is just a number. Could be 14,000 or 140,000,000....so what.

Psychologically 14,000 would be too small i think....and 14 million when compared to BTC is "plenty"...but that is ignoring the outside world of FIAT.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

cabin

Activity: 604
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 03:12:23 PM

http://proofofstake.com/

is good for PPC market cap... not sure on other coins though

Nice charts. I didn't realize so few proof-of-work blocks were being generated recently. For example it looks like on Dec 7th only 10451 PPC were generated. At around 700PPC per block that implies only 15 proof of work blocks that day. Is it expected that the proof-of-stake blocks will continue to crowd out the proof of work blocks more and more?
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 07:30:22 PM

Nice charts. I didn't realize so few proof-of-work blocks were being generated recently. For example it looks like on Dec 7th only 10451 PPC were generated. At around 700PPC per block that implies only 15 proof of work blocks that day. Is it expected that the proof-of-stake blocks will continue to crowd out the proof of work blocks more and more?

It likely won't go much more sparse than that. The proof-of-work spacing target is variable but has a max value of 2 hours.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2013, 11:36:48 AM

I'm dead tired right now so I can't even go through this thread, but if anyone cares to update the individual wiki entries for the coins, and/or the new wiki entry List of alternative cryptocurrencies, that would be most welcome.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: