Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:24:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-QT bypassing Tor  (Read 1457 times)
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 10:59:13 AM

I'm running Bitcoin Core 0.10.0 and while I have it configured to run through Tor only its been a few weeks that the client tries to bypass Tor and connect directly to 100.64.68.8 or other IP addresses in the same subnet.

My reverse firewall is blocking it, but it seems very strange to me that the client tries to bypass Tor, that looks like a privacy/security problem.

Anyone has seen the same behavior?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
scientific

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 12:18:00 PM

I'm running Bitcoin Core 0.10.0 and while I have it configured to run through Tor only its been a few weeks that the client tries to bypass Tor and connect directly to 100.64.68.8 or other IP addresses in the same subnet.

My reverse firewall is blocking it, but it seems very strange to me that the client tries to bypass Tor, that looks like a privacy/security problem.

Can you reproduce this every time? I mean, does it happen right when you start the program or at random times?
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 12:58:23 PM

Can you reproduce this every time? I mean, does it happen right when you start the program or at random times?

Today it happened right when I started Bitcoin Core, but usually it happens at random times.

scientific

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 01:50:22 PM

Today it happened right when I started Bitcoin Core, but usually it happens at random times.

Certainly shouldn't happen. Are these connection attempts to remote port 8333 or something else? Maybe you can get a packet capture.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 02:08:38 PM

Certainly shouldn't happen. Are these connection attempts to remote port 8333 or something else? Maybe you can get a packet capture.

Yes, these connections definitely attempt to remote port 8333. Didn't have wireshark running, but here goes a screenshot of my reverse firewall.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8398

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 04:44:24 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2015, 05:10:15 PM by gmaxwell

Thats not very informative; is there a way to tell if that isn't an _inbound_ connection that someone is trying to make towards you?

100.64/10 is reserved private address space and not generally routable on the internet; see RFC 6598.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 06:14:18 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2015, 06:52:02 PM by Rampion

Thats not very informative; is there a way to tell if that isn't an _inbound_ connection that someone is trying to make towards you?

100.64/10 is reserved private address space and not generally routable on the internet; see RFC 6598.

I'll try to get ASAP the packet captured with Wireshark, hopefully that's more informative.

FYI: my reverse firewall lists this connection as an outbound one - you can see in the screenshot I uploaded an arrow pointing to 100.64.68.8, that means the connection was outbound, when it is inbound the arrow points to the opposite side and I get a different type of pop-up warning.

Summing up, either my firewall is screwing up or this is definitely an outbound clearnet connection attempt from a Bitcoin Core instance which is supposed to connect only via Tor.

Should I worry?

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8398

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2015, 12:15:58 AM

No reason to panic, lets just investigate.  There have been leaks in the past but I'm not aware of any right now; doesn't mean there aren't any.   Are the DNS servers your host is using any of those IPs?  do those IPs get mentioned at all in your debug.log?
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 06:30:16 PM

Are you connecting to clearnet nodes over Tor? In some cases Tor assigns an internal IP to a hidden service to allow for proper DNS resolution etc, maybe you are connecting to clearnet nodes, and whenever your client tries to connect to a hidden service, Tor assigns it an internal IP, which is then blocked by your firewall.

Do you have onlynet=tor in your config? this will force you to only connect to hidden services.

Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 12:19:17 AM

No reason to panic, lets just investigate.  There have been leaks in the past but I'm not aware of any right now; doesn't mean there aren't any.   Are the DNS servers your host is using any of those IPs?  do those IPs get mentioned at all in your debug.log?

My Bitcoin 0.11.2 keeps trying to bypass Tor. To answer Gregory's questions:

- my DNS servers are not using this IPs

- yes, these IPs are mentioned in my debug.log, which says "failed: Host is down" because I keep blocking this connections with my reverse firewall

Today I allowed one of such connections and captured it with Wireshark. Any specific info you would like me to post to try to understand why Bitcoin Core is bypassing Tor?

Are you connecting to clearnet nodes over Tor? In some cases Tor assigns an internal IP to a hidden service to allow for proper DNS resolution etc, maybe you are connecting to clearnet nodes, and whenever your client tries to connect to a hidden service, Tor assigns it an internal IP, which is then blocked by your firewall.

Do you have onlynet=tor in your config? this will force you to only connect to hidden services.

I don't have "onlynet=tor" in my config; I just configured the SOCKS5 proxy on the Network settings in the Preferences of Core.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: