Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:04:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VERIZON Jetpack Hot Spot Mining Rate Hike!!!  (Read 549 times)
MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 04:21:13 AM

Has anyone else mining through their Verizon jetpack Hotspot that noticed recent change in how they bill for data usage?

I am being logged for data now going to "gaming" and the only thing I can figure is they
changed the way they log data usage and the mining is showing up more.

MikeMike

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 04:42:01 AM

Has anyone else mining through their Verizon jetpack Hotspot that noticed recent change in how they bill for data usage?

I am being logged for data now going to "gaming" and the only thing I can figure is they

MikeMike

Seems a little crazy to have all your internet through a mobile hotspot.  Are you able to use a VPN or something to send all your traffic though?

If you have a good VPN then it seems they could not charge higher, unless VPN is higher on it.  I personally have stuck with mining on a dsl connection.
MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 04:48:38 AM

MikeMike

Seems a little crazy to have all your internet through a mobile hotspot.  Are you able to use a VPN or something to send all your traffic though?

If you have a good VPN then it seems they could not charge higher, unless VPN is higher on it.  I personally have stuck with mining on a dsl connection.

I mainly use the hotspot for mining at work.
Just mildly used for the internet.

No other usage increased Just gaming? with a question mark so presume
they got wise to mining data and decided to log it under gaming?.

Not sure how I could get my miners to mine over my VPN trough my hotspot.
Have any suggestions?

I always use my VPN while using the net but Verizon must see it because they still log it.

MM

peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 04:52:36 AM

Probably the constant upload speed or bouncing from download to upload a lot that triggers it.
MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 04:56:18 AM

Probably the constant upload speed or bouncing from download to upload a lot that triggers it.

Been using it for months.
Now my data usage has gone from 4-6GB to 11-15GB.
Tripled.

MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 08:47:54 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2016, 09:01:24 PM by MikeMike

Just got off the phone with Verizon technical support they say it's the miners that I'm using turns out my data usage for the month jumped from 4 to 6 gigabytes to nearly 20 gigabytes something's up

I only have 1 s3 and 1 s4  running for about 8 hours a day and then two s3's running the rest of the time. And not even consistently. Some days I don't mine at all

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 08:55:25 PM

Just got off the phone with Verizon technical support they say it's the miners that I'm using turns out my data usage for the month chunk from 46 gigabytes to nearly 20 gigabytes something's up

I only have 1 s3 and 1 s4 for running for about 8 hours a day and then to s3's running the rest of the time. And not even consistently
Your being bamboozeled, hood-winked.  You ain't admiring the Horizon, the Horizon is likely playing you.

Here are the stats on one of my s3's for the past 27d 22h 13m
----------------------------------------------------------------------
rx: 179.84 MB
tx: 184.96 MB

So as you can see, even if they where taking the summation of your rx/tx value(s) your still looking at less than 0.5 GB/Month per s3.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
kingaltcoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 06:10:57 AM

Why are you mining from your hotspot for mining purpose?
You will lose data packages significantly during the process.

Always try to use a cable connection where data loses are approximately nil.
MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 06:50:41 AM

Why are you mining from your hotspot for mining purpose?
You will lose data packages significantly during the process.

Always try to use a cable connection where data loses are approximately nil.

No cable is available.

MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 06:57:18 AM

Just got off the phone with Verizon technical support they say it's the miners that I'm using turns out my data usage for the month chunk from 46 gigabytes to nearly 20 gigabytes something's up

I only have 1 s3 and 1 s4 for running for about 8 hours a day and then to s3's running the rest of the time. And not even consistently
Your being bamboozeled, hood-winked.  You ain't admiring the Horizon, the Horizon is likely playing you.

So as you can see, even if they where taking the summation of your rx/tx value(s) your still looking at less than 0.5 GB/Month per s3.

Thanks much Nwfella,

This is in line with my bills prior to the change in my plan and/or the increase in data usage hit.
Will be working with Verizon Tech Support to try and diagnose the problem in next few days.
I already told them the most I will pay is an extra 20.00 and if the hotspot makes the miners
use significantly more than your data usage I'm done with Verizon plan and all.
This would be the second time.
First time I kept telling them I was receiving charges that were not mine.
Left them and few years later they got slapped with a class action for doing just that.
This could be their "next suit"...

MM

MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 03:42:11 PM

Hi Nwfella,

Could you post a screen shot?
I just finished my first test with Verizon and others proof of tx/rx usage helps.
 Smiley
MM

MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 11:45:38 PM

Posting an update...

I did a test with Verizon tech support last week having miners run for a few days. Gave them all the data and they will not reply to my emails since I sent them that data, very disturbing.

Got somebody on the top of level 2 tech support today doing another test tonight we'll see what happens.

MM

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: