Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:30:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: There will be no ASICs in January  (Read 4018 times)
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 07:41:06 PM

Well my personal estimate is that they will do around 700 Mhash/Joule. So it looks like you don't disagree with me so much after all.

In any way, even if they achieved 700 Mhash/Joule, and do it late, this does not warrant you criticizing them as "bogus". 30% below expectation wouldn't be the end of the world. You and I have a different definition of this word.

If I buy a CPU I get a certain amount of cores which will run on a certain frequency. The same goes for graphic cards and any other microelectronics device. Companies deliver expected performance withing a very thin margin. Except for BFL It's their company policy to exaggerate their specs and yes we really seem to agree on that.

Anyway: They this thread is about the January shipping schedule of all ASIC sellers which I say they will not meet.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 09:42:26 PM

Well my personal estimate is that they will do around 700 Mhash/Joule. So it looks like you don't disagree with me so much after all.

In any way, even if they achieved 700 Mhash/Joule, and do it late, this does not warrant you criticizing them as "bogus". 30% below expectation wouldn't be the end of the world. You and I have a different definition of this word.

If I buy a CPU I get a certain amount of cores which will run on a certain frequency. The same goes for graphic cards and any other microelectronics device. Companies deliver expected performance withing a very thin margin. Except for BFL It's their company policy to exaggerate their specs and yes we really seem to agree on that.

Anyway: They this thread is about the January shipping schedule of all ASIC sellers which I say they will not meet.

they are bordering on the chinese holiday season. one might not see this stuff until march. it is pretty easy to see this happening.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 11:14:40 PM

they are bordering on the chinese holiday season. one might not see this stuff until march. it is pretty easy to see this happening.

If you're in reference to the FAB, Josh is already on record in stating that it's not located in China, and that the Chinese New Year is not a concern for delivery of chips.

~Bruno K~
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 11:31:43 PM

If you're in reference to the FAB, Josh is already on record in stating that it's not located in China, and that the Chinese New Year is not a concern for delivery of chips.

~Bruno K~

I wonder if he knows the Chinese New Year is not only a big deal in China.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 11:32:46 PM

How's this ElectricMucus: If we do ship before January ends, you send the entire Avalon team cookies, the soft kind, not too sweet made with coarse grains to provide texture. The conventional chocolate-chip ones are good too but the molasses and ginger chews are especially delicious with fresh cinnamon.

I think that you guys have bad taste in cookies, but that's probably just because I'm not a fan of ginger.

I've not paid a huge amount of attention or put much research into things, but I think I recall you folks having some interest in open-source, at least relative to your 'competition'(*).  If so, and if you live up to the opens-source principle to reasonable degree, I'll either make a donation (and I'm sure you can find some oven-hot chocolate-chip cookies which you are welcome to use the BTC for), or potentially even buy some of your wares.

* I am currently of the opinion that most probably pretty much every one of the more widely advertised ASIC efforts is a straight-up scam except, potentially, Avalon.  But this is no more than a gut feeling from someone who pays relatively little attention except to read some of the posts on this board...and has only the most rudimentary and dated experience with hardware.  Anyway, if my gut sense turns out to be correct, it is not really fair to classify BFL (for instance) and Avalon as 'competition'.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 11:57:17 PM

~Bruno K~

I wonder if he knows the Chinese New Year is not only a big deal in China.

China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc... Nicely played. All celebrate this multi week holiday. Wherever there is a significant Chinese
presence. And just because THEIR fab does not have workers who enjoy the holiday, perhaps, what they require to do their work could be
delayed which more then likely comes from China or some other area affected by the holiday.

Still.. with no demo being shown yet... guessing march seems very very reasonable. Jan, actually get some parts, Feb start building,
March actually have something to show.

There was plenty of people who know based on their past history that nothing was going to show up until after Jan if not longer.
By then I will have already placed an order with avalon i imagine since they seem to be able to present a demo first based on rumors.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 01:26:19 AM

China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc... Nicely played. All celebrate this multi week holiday. Wherever there is a significant Chinese
presence. And just because THEIR fab does not have workers who enjoy the holiday, perhaps, what they require to do their work could be
delayed which more then likely comes from China or some other area affected by the holiday.

Josh has already said that anything which was sourced from places which would be affected by CNY they already have in hand.  He seems confident that the fab itself won't be affected by the holiday but that might be naivete on his part as even businesses which don't officially close often still have extremely reduced capacity as many workers head home for the holidays (with or without permission) and many employment contracts end around that time of year.

I seriously doubt their ability to ship in January if they don't have the packaged chips in hand within the next 10 days because, as Josh is so fond of pointing out in respect of his competitors, there's still a lot which can go wrong after the foundry finishes producing the chips.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 04:20:13 AM

Josh has already said that anything which was sourced from places which would be affected by CNY they already have in hand.  He seems confident that the fab itself won't be affected by the holiday but that might be naivete on his part as even businesses which don't officially close often still have extremely reduced capacity as many workers head home for the holidays (with or without permission) and many employment contracts end around that time of year.

It could also mean a higher workload (and more contention) for the fab, if it's still operating while the others are closed.

I seriously doubt their ability to ship in January if they don't have the packaged chips in hand within the next 10 days because, as Josh is so fond of pointing out in respect of his competitors, there's still a lot which can go wrong after the foundry finishes producing the chips.

Even when they have the packaged chips in hand, the multi-million dollar question is still whether they'll work acceptably well or not.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
repentance

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 04:59:56 AM

Until BFL advises upgrade customers to start returning their FPGAs, BFL ASIC shipment isn't imminent no matter what target dates they have.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
JWU42
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 04:33:53 PM

Until BFL advises upgrade customers to start returning their FPGAs, BFL ASIC shipment isn't imminent no matter what target dates they have.

+1000

And to that point, has there been any discussion on that process?  A quick search lead me to nothing...

Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:12:23 PM

+1000

And to that point, has there been any discussion on that process?  A quick search lead me to nothing...

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/606-shipping-back-fpgas.html

We plan on giving at least a weeks notice. If you want to send us BTC as a deposit while we ship your ASICs, we will do that as well and then refund you back the BTC when we receive the FPGA unit.

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
JWU42
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:31:04 PM

^^ Thanks for that!!

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:31:48 PM

^^ Thanks for that!!
+1

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
poon-TANG

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 06:17:12 AM

Why do these threads always have trolls ...."BFL suck", "bASIC are liars"...etc. Whatever happen to serious and helpful posts?
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 08:26:14 AM

Why do these threads always have trolls ...."BFL suck", "bASIC are liars"...etc. Whatever happen to serious and helpful posts?

Who said we weren't serious and helpful?

Okay just for you: RAINBOWS, UNICORNS, FLOWERS, CAREBEARS, CHOCOLATE, LOVE.

That make you feel better? Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 12:21:18 AM

This thread is not about flowers and carebears. You troll.  Tongue

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
repentance

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 01:59:20 AM

Why would people make serious and helpful posts in a thread which was clearly intended to be neither?

Pretty much everything serious and helpful which can be said about ASICs has already been said at this point.  People are just posting for the sake of hearing their own voices for the most part and that's likely to get worse if BFL doesn't advise people to start returning their FPGAs within the next few days (because if they don't, then they won't be shipping mid-January and people are over them announcing delays at the last moment).

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 02:17:54 AM

This thread is not about flowers and carebears. You troll.  Tongue

Kiss

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: