Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:26:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Schiff doesn't get Bitcoin  (Read 9371 times)
cdnbcguy (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 01:28:47 PM

I listen to Peter Schiff on the net and I am disappointed to tell you that he, who is almost always totally clueful, does not get Bitcoin at all.

He talked about it on his broadcast of June 6 2011 and he was all negative -'it's not backed by anything' 'you have to hope someone will accept it' etc. These are all arguments against the US Dollar as well!

What he is missing is that the thing that makes Bitcoin great is that is it constrained. The Govt. cannot reach up it's ass and pull out a trillion Bitcoins and neither can anyone else.

Bitcoin is like a mountain on the internet. It cannot be destroyed unless ALL 100,000 or so users are wiped out. If even ONE survives, its block chain, which is measured by the sum of it's difficulties, will immediately roll over any new competing chain.

This mountain is being added to 50 btc per ten minutes, with the difficulty adjusted every two weeks to keep it so (I think that is a small design flaw, by the way, it should be adjusted continuously.)

Bitcoin is also composed of veteran professional software. What I mean by that is Satoshi used proven code throughout Bitcoin. This code has been inspected, suspected, up and down `spected and is accepted by the community as 'having nothing wrong with it that we can spot'

The only way Bitcoin can fail is if SHA 256 can be hacked, and I bet it can't, or if public key encryption can be hacked and I bet it can't either.

Bitcoins only real problems are it`s deflationary nature and the weird fact that the wallet.dat file is unencrypted on your disk. THAT`S a mistake.

Bitcoin is backed by strong math and good code. The US Dollar is back by bankers promises.

Who do you trust?

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bazil

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:56:34 PM

A lot of libertarian types don't like any currency not backed by something that has some utilitarian value

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
Grant

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:00:32 PM

I'll use Peter's own argument against him, his argument against bitcoin 'is not backed by anything'

And the same is true for gold, 'you have to hope someone will accept it'

I understand where he's coming from though, his own fund is heavily invested into gold stocks, of course he will push it above all.
Anth0n

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:19:54 PM

For once, I disagree with Peter Schiff. He wants the dollar backed by gold and silver because gold and silver are scarce resources. Bitcoin is also scarce, so I don't see what the problem is.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:24:51 PM

What's gold backed by? The dollar?  Cheesy
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:33:15 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 08:40:03 PM by MarketNeutral

Peter Schiff also didn't get the crash of '08.

The guy is smart, but he's talking his book.
Longmarch

Activity: 131

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:47:35 PM

the weird fact that the wallet.dat file is unencrypted on your disk. THAT`S a mistake.

Off topic, but... Bitcoin is cash.  Seems it should be unencrypted by default, not vice versa.  You always have the option to lock it up yourownself.

Current-C

Activity: 124

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:07:54 PM

Anyone have a link to this?
cdnbcguy (OP)

Activity: 128

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 03:15:02 PM

the weird fact that the wallet.dat file is unencrypted on your disk. THAT`S a mistake.

Off topic, but... Bitcoin is cash.  Seems it should be unencrypted by default, not vice versa.  You always have the option to lock it up yourownself.

I guarantee right this second the people who write Trojans are modifing them to grab wallet.dat files, send them somewhere where they will be used to strip accounts automatically.

They HAVE to be encrypted.

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
hawks5999

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 03:16:34 PM

For once, I disagree with Peter Schiff. He wants the dollar backed by gold and silver because gold and silver are scarce resources. Bitcoin is also scarce, so I don't see what the problem is.

He wants the dollar backed by gold and silver because of his large position in gold and silver.

■ ▄▄▄
■ ███
■ ■  ■               
LEDGER  WALLET    ████
■■■ ORDER NOW! ■■■
              LEDGER WALLET
Smartcard security for your BTCitcoins
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
Decentralized. Open. Secure.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:26:24 PM

Yes Schiff (and many people) forget that gold is not backed by anything either. It's a commodity, a thing, and it has market value because it's primarily effective as a monetary instrument. The same is true for Bitcoin, except Bitcoin has a few advantages above and beyond gold (it can be sent across the world instantly, a billion $ worth can fit in your pocket, etc). It also has a few disadvantages from gold (could be hacked on your computer perhaps, or a flaw may exist in the coding, etc). The free market will weigh these pros and cons of both monies and decide the appropriate exchange rate between the two.

Bitcoin, like gold, derives its value from its usefulness in trade as a medium of exchange.
rtcw

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:37:51 PM

gold doesnt need to be backed by anything cause everyone has known for 6000+ years its valuable, even stupid rappers that make shit music.. it takes capitol,manpower,land and time to produce there for it could never go to zero unless 6 billion people get together and say hey, fuck gold i want bitcoins or paper dollars.   
hawks5999

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 06:12:50 PM

gold doesnt need to be backed by anything cause everyone has known for 6000+ years its valuable, even stupid rappers that make shit music.. it takes capitol,manpower,land and time to produce there for it could never go to zero unless 6 billion people get together and say hey, fuck gold i want bitcoins or paper dollars.   
umm... roughly 5.99 billion have said "hey, fuck gold i want... paper dollars"

■ ▄▄▄
■ ███
■ ■  ■               
LEDGER  WALLET    ████
■■■ ORDER NOW! ■■■
              LEDGER WALLET
Smartcard security for your BTCitcoins
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
Decentralized. Open. Secure.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:23:14 PM

Gold has value only because we've been taught it has value.  Native Americans thought white man was crazy cause he lusted over the "yellow rock".  that being said I do have some gold and silver.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:10:02 PM

I've been trying my best to come up with folksy analogies about Bitcoin.  Maybe I should send them to him.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 09:40:41 PM

Peter Schiff has a big mouth and an even bigger ego.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
CoinMonster

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:16:56 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2011, 05:40:00 AM by CoinMonster

Gold doesn't need to "backed". It is the backing.

Gold has utility as money because it has use beyond use as a medium of exchange. It is used in industry, has chemical applications, there's gold in my computer's motherboard, gold nanoparticles kill cancer tumors, gold in some people's teeth, and so forth. It has use as jewelery and decorations. It's pretty to look at. It has its largest use as money, but this rests on its use as other things. It takes time and work to mine it, so the supply is finite.

During his life – several millennia before the birth of Christ – Aristotle laid out the principles of what he considered “good money.”
He said all good money was…

1. Divisible – You could easily divide it into smaller sums, to make change.
2. Durable – It lasts a long time.
3. Convenient – You can easily carry it around with you.
4.Consistent – It always has the same value.
5. Valuable – It’s useful in and of itself.

Gold meets all of these characteristics pretty well and is therefore a good money.

I think people see bitcoin and think "what is to stop the coders from changing the rules and increasing the number of bitcoins thereby enriching themselves?". That was my first thought and why I wrote off bitcoin at first. If you're not a mathmatics freak and basement dwelling code checker, you'd see it as having potentially many of the same flaws as any fiat, non-commodity-backed, non-commodity redeemable currency. I'm sure that's how Peter Schiff sees it.

He wants the dollar backed by gold and silver because of his large position in gold and silver.
He wants the dollar backed by gold (and silver?) because it is best for savers and doesn't allow inflation if handled properly. He has a large position in gold and silver because he knows the dollar will not be backed by gold and silver.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:47:29 AM

Gold has value only because we've been taught it has value.  Native Americans thought white man was crazy cause he lusted over the "yellow rock".  that being said I do have some gold and silver.

That's not quite true. Gold has value because it's useful as money (this is why Bitcoin has value as well). Cactuses and sand are poor money, and thus not valuable for that purpose. Gold is excellent for that purpose. Society didn't arbitrarily select gold to be money, it was borne of the market's need for a useful medium of exchange. The Native American "market" seemingly hadn't come to the same conclusion, and that's fine.
nemo

Activity: 500
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:41:43 AM

I read somewhere that gold was used as money because for a really long time it was the heaviest metal known. Making it easy to tell the difference between real, fake or cut gold.
bittersweet

Activity: 222

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:57:00 AM

That's the problem with Bitcoin. Gold is SIMPLE, any idiot can understand how it works. Gold is a rare and pretty metal, people want gold - that's all. The way Bitcoin works, well it's pretty advanced concept. To fully understand it you must be a sort of a hacker/geek person. Peter Schiff is not an idiot, but he ain't a hacker.

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: