Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:24:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you store your bitcoins?  (Read 92194 times)
Wipro

Activity: 924
Merit: 512

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 11:52:25 AM

I only store my bitcoins on online bitcoin wallet, blockchain. For wallet on a phone, i think it's really risky and i prefer using blockchain than wallet on phone.

Thats good, I store my bitcoin in mycelium mobile wallet. I do not own big amount of btc now so I think it is safer enough. I do not use desktop wallets because I do not have a PC now

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jossiel

Activity: 2968
Merit: 632

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 12:38:20 PM

I only store my bitcoins on online bitcoin wallet, blockchain. For wallet on a phone, i think it's really risky and i prefer using blockchain than wallet on phone.

Me too, I just store my bitcoins through block chain, I don't even tried and experienced to store it to an hardware wallet. But if someone will allow
me to try and experience it for sure I will try it. And for a wallet phone, I didn't even it to try.
Cryptonitex

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 12:48:39 PM

Hello everyone as the title says ^
Do you store your bitcoins online or on a wallet on your computer, perhaps cold storage?

I hold my bitcoins online at Coinbase. Even seems not secure in the first view this is only an impression and not a fact. Seems that the online wallet are the less secure but if read all the data given about this matter offered by Coinbase understand the right meaning that the word "secure" has for this business. I am writing some. First must be told (even this has nothing to do with the security but with your pocket) all the fee-s of the sent of bitcoin are paid from Coinbase. Then they store 98% of customer funds offline. Offline storage provides an important security measure against theft or loss. They distribute bitcoin geographically in safe deposit boxes and vaults around the world. And at the end (for more you can go yourself at their website) Coinbase is insured against employee theft and hacking in an amount that exceeds the average value of online bitcoin it holds at any given time. Specifically, Coinbase's insurance policy would respond in the event that bitcoin stored in Coinbase was lost or stolen as a result of a breach of our physical security, cyber security, or as a result of employee theft. Coinbase has held this insurance since November 2013 with highly rated carriers (S&P rating of A+ or A.M. Best Rating of A XV or higher).

I like that, I am a holder of a Shift Financial card, so what's in my CoinBase account, I can legitimately spend in anywhere in the world. So, I keep it in there, and by the time my next paycheck comes, it's all spend...
Good thing BitCoin has been stable for a while now.
jossiel

Activity: 2968
Merit: 632

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 01:02:16 PM

Do you store your bitcoins online or on a wallet on your computer, perhaps cold storage?
-snip-

I like that, I am a holder of a Shift Financial card, so what's in my CoinBase account, I can legitimately spend in anywhere in the world. So, I keep it in there, and by the time my next paycheck comes, it's all spend...
Good thing BitCoin has been stable for a while now.

Well that's the benefit of bitcoin and we know it that we can use it conveniently everywhere we go as long as there is an ATM where you can
en cash your bitcoins. And yeah, bitcoin is really on its stable now, and expect more as the halving comes.
Labumi

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 01:05:28 PM

I am storing my Bitcoins at an online wallet and that is because you know that it is quite safe to use it and the most people with already Bitcoin are also using it so that is really nice.
But of course you can be hacked or something but the chance will be really small.

Just like you and I always give enough extra security for a wallet that I use, because I have experienced a very adverse events and it makes my finances disturbed. Avoid downloading on your computer, laptop, etc. that you use to login to your offline or online wallet. the reason could be that when you download the file has a virus
aioc

Activity: 2884
Merit: 564

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 02:44:08 PM

I have three here electrum for desktop blockchain and coins.ph for online but I made sure i did not store all of my bitcoin on one wallet alone I divide it to three .

bamboylee

Activity: 1148
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 03:28:02 PM

Online on an exchange site and on block chain wallet. I prefer it there so I can access it anytime, anywhere. If there is a sudden need to convert or spend, all I need is a cp and internet. But of course, cold storage is the safest place to store your bitcoin.
bloodnest

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 04:04:05 PM

Never tried anything beyond storing my bitcoins online on sites that provide such a service. (Blockchain, Coins.ph, Coinbase).

Planning to store them offline once I get enough Bitcoins to make the process worthwhile.  Grin
pearl11

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 04:31:19 PM

I have three here electrum for desktop blockchain and coins.ph for online but I made sure i did not store all of my bitcoin on one wallet alone I divide it to three .

For me, I also use coins.ph and block chain. But I don't have that really so many bitcoins I just created an account for reserving purpose.
But hopefully soon, I can put some bitcoins on my block chain wallet address.
I also use only coins. Ph as my bitcoin wallet,because i can exchange my money into fiat easily and pick  it up anywhere in our country. And coins. Ph also offer phone top ups.
victoryboy

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 04:34:43 PM

I have all my coins stored in my desktop windows core wallet protected with a very strong password.My machine is also protected with well reputed antivirus/internet security.I don't trust any third party to store my funds.I use their services for everyday transactions.This is working fine for me so far.
fantoos

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 04:42:25 PM

I don't own many Bitcoins so I don't need to think much about it storing and safety.I use online wallet from the start blockchain and set up good password with Google Authenticator this is all.If somehow in future I own many bitcoins then I will use much more good ways to take extra measures.

sishendaoye

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 07:56:45 PM

I store them in a paper wallet because in my eyes its more secure and also its offline so no one can hack it.
With online wallets there are huge risks to get hacked in my eyes.
Hugroll

Activity: 756

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:53:46 PM

i keep about 90% of my bitcoin wealth in a paper wallet cold storage that i printed from bitaddress.org so i guess thats pretty safe. the other 10% i keep on my coinbase account for daily spending/buying.
JanpriX

Activity: 1708
Merit: 606

Buy The F*cking Dip

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:56:45 PM

30% of my bitcoin asset is stored in an online wallet. 50% of it is within my desktop wallet and 20% of it is within my cellphone wallet. I haven't tried using paper wallet yet. Will research about it coz most of you are using it.  Grin
Ulloa

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 02:21:23 PM

I store my Bitcoin at an online wallet and that is also many used because you see that many people is storing their Bitcoin at an online wallet because it is easy to save it there.
Some people are even storing their Bitcoin at their own computer but that can be risky because you can be also hacked or something.
yolanda222
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 03:00:02 PM

I store my Bitcoin at an online wallet and that is also many used because you see that many people is storing their Bitcoin at an online wallet because it is easy to save it there.
Some people are even storing their Bitcoin at their own computer but that can be risky because you can be also hacked or something.

I think the store in the bitcoin wallet was pretty good offline secure funds
Ewinsane

Activity: 980
Merit: 523

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 08:29:56 PM

even online wallet like xapo and coinbase are also very good to store bitcoin.
Have you ever heard of Mt.Gox and what happened to them?

Yeah in a way i understand it since i keep money on blockchain too. But never too much.
I don't want to be goxxed and i think nobody wants too. So yes if you are smart you keep your bitcoins offline.

Its good to keep them offline of sure because its way more secure if you ask me, also because of the fact  a lot of people want to hack you these days.
I think a cold storage and a paper wallet are the best to keep your bitcoins in.

A cold storage is one of the best methods that can be used to store your bitcoins in if you want to be secured good.
Also if you have low amounts you should secure them good, by using a paper wallet because the hackers are going far these days.
They are trying a lot to gain bitcoins, a paper wallet is also a option and also very secure but do not remember to store it good and not lose because otherwise you are far from home if you mean what I say.
mrcash02

Activity: 1190
Merit: 525

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 08:34:09 PM

I use online storage to keep my Bitcoins too. It's risk, I know, but the service is easy and accessible for anyone. I don't have capacity to download a good desktop wallet, so I don't have much to do...

But people using their computers to storage their Bitcoins are safer than we using onliny storage methods. If the computer is offline, without internet, hackers can't steal it, the only issue can be if the computer stop working, broken.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 09:49:39 PM

http://cryptosteel.com

most secure wallet I know of
GMPoison

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:19:25 PM

I was going to make my own thread but I see it's already been made here. I thought I'd give my 2c on the subject. In my opinion you should keep three wallets.

1. One wallet for buying/selling bitcoin. This wallet is never used to store bitcoin as you're trusting a third party with them, only as a mediator for buying and selling your coins. This wallet should be located on an exchange for bitcoin. This is your "exchange" wallet.
2. One wallet for spending bitcoin. This wallet you will treat like your wallet that you keep cash in. You only keep enough money in it that you wouldn't mind losing, your spending cash. This wallet can be located on an online wallet, exchange, paper wallet, mobile wallet (I would most recommended), and hardware wallet. This is your "hot" wallet.
3. One wallet for storing your bitcoin. This wallet will be treated as your "savings account" or "investment account", only ever depositing funds but never unless under extreme circumstances withdrawing funds. This wallet can be a hardware wallet, or multiple multisig paper wallets in various safe physical locations (I would most recommend). This is your "cold" wallet.

That's what I feel is the most optimal, safe, and convenient way to store your coins, let me know what you all think.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 126 »
  Print  

Jump to: