Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:56:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [NOW AVAILABLE] BTChip / Ledger HW1 : Bitcoin Hardware Wallet in a USB smartcard  (Read 62446 times)
btchip (OP)

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 05:26:35 AM

(Fry really wants to buy something)

I plan to keep talking while taking your money, how cool is that ?  Tongue

Cool project!

I am new to this thread, so please excuse me if I'm slow Smiley but I want to make sure I understand the basic idea behind BTChip:

No problem, welcome ! Also the whole thread is quite outdated and the technical description got stuck 2 years in the past, but let's see Smiley

The best up to date references are the API https://btchip.github.io/btchip-doc/bitcoin-technical.html and C API https://github.com/btchip/btchip-c-api

1. The smartcard stores a "context key" that is only known by the smartcard.

This was the old architecture when I couldn't generate BIP 32 keys. Now the "context key" only applies to "trusted input" - only a way to bind an amount to a prevout by having the card sign a specific output of a transaction.

2. The smartcard can:
   a. read a cleartext private key, and return the cleartext public key and the "context key"-encrypted private key;
   b. generate a new keypair internally, and return the cleartext public key and the "context key"-encrypted private key;

yup. Still, for the old version.

3. The smartcard can also:
   a. decrypt a "context key"-encrypted private key (from the user) and use that to sign a hash (also from the user)
   b. verify an ECDSA signature.

Still correct (also still for the old version). The new version fully parses the transaction.

I know there is a lot of advanced functionality, but did I get that right?  This has applications (like you point out) such as signing bitcoin transactions on a local machine in such a way that the private key decryption and hash signing is done "offline."  Another application is to produce signatures at brick-and-mortar stores to authorize certain transactions (assuming the merchant could determine a valid cyphertext private key).

I have a few questions:

You mentioned using the ST23YT66 secure smartcard microcontroller.  Was this chosen instead of a regular microcontroller so that you could take advantage of the security provisions, cryptographic primitives and user identification methods without having to write your own?  

yes, especially because it is hardened by design. also because we write operating systems for smartcards during the bitcoinless parts of our professional lives  Smiley

You mentioned that "the smartcard wallet implementations will rely on GlobalPlatform concepts to define how keys are inserted into the card, authenticate the user to validate access rights to access specific keys, optionally authenticate the card responses."  Is this basically ISO/IEC 7816?  I can understand adhering up to ISO/IEC 7816-4 (ADPUs) and in your case ISO/IEC 7816-12 (USB), but since a custom reader application will always be required, is there a need to adhere to any other sections?  

this was done because parts of an old version of the operating system was reused for a quick prototype - it's no longer the case now.

Basically, I am wondering if it would be possible to start with something like an ARMCore MCU, write firmware to support up to ISO/IEC 7816-4 (APDUs), add whatever cryptographic operations you need to Trezor-Crypto, and then define your own spec for "how keys are inserted into the card, authenticate the user to validate access rights to access specific keys, etc."  This would allow everything to be open-sourced too, if that was your desire.  At the same time, I think you'd still be compatible with the majority of smart-card readers currently deployed in the field (as they'd need an update to their application software anyways to interface with BTChip).  

yes, and that's definitely the approach we're taking with one part of http://www.prismicide.com/ - the other part being a 95.8% (insert another random % here) open Operating System working on a regular smartcard, which still has some benefits considering getting a sane crypto stack that's not trivially vulnerable to SPA/DPA is a hard problem, both on the IP and technical side, and preventing trivial information recovery from a generic purpose microcontroller that you can touch is also a hard problem

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 10:43:12 PM

Cleaned up the first post a bit, posted a new firmware specification, added JS and Python APIs

btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 09:06:32 AM

For a limited time, BTChip is available as a Prismicide perk - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/prismicide-world-s-most-secure-bitcoin-hardware-wallet-and-anti-prism-platform - it'll then be possible to buy it directly from our commercial website, or through distributors

btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 03:44:06 PM

Shop is now open for everybody - get 2 cards for 20 €, payable in bitcoins @ https://buy.hardwarewallet.com

flipperfish

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

Dolphie Selfie

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 06:42:40 PM

Shop is now open for everybody - get 2 cards for 20 €, payable in bitcoins @ https://buy.hardwarewallet.com
How long do you plan to offer the 2 for 1 deal?  Grin
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 07:01:05 PM

around 1 month

zefir
Donator

Activity: 919
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 07:17:16 PM

Just ordered one after reading the related CoinDesk article - without knowing if it is exactly what I expect, but the API looks like you can waste quite some time playing with it.

@OP: since this thread is where people are led to from your website, you should check your posts for outdated media / data. Most of the pictures and videos you link in your posts do not exist any more.

Good Luck with the sales.

btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 08:57:54 PM

Thanks - I think you won't get bored with it  Grin

And yes, I should tidy up this thread a bit, you're right.

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 09:53:15 PM

Well, I couldn't resist so I ordered a HW-1 Hardware Wallet. I hope it arrives quickly, so that I can take some pictures of it and try it out Grin
Just wondering, is the Hardware Wallet engraved or something like that (like they did with the Trezor), since it's just launched?

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 10:06:52 PM

Nope sorry, we don't have a special edition at launch, but we'll probably have some limited editions from time to time.

It should reach you quickly if you're in the EU, not so quickly outside Smiley

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:08:31 PM

interesting product... will pick up a few...

btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 11:34:48 PM

thanks ! Considering a few starts at 2, everyone gets to have a few  Grin

sdersdf2

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 01:21:50 PM

nice to see positive innovation on this forum.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 04:36:19 PM

Great project! Looking forward about it! Smiley I live in India. Can I use standard shipping? Is there any way to import private key? I mostly use vanity address, so it would help me.

~~MZ~~

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 05:07:01 PM

My payment has confirmed. How long does it take before it gets shipped out and what is the average shipping time to The Netherlands? Sorry, I am really excited, haha.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 06:06:01 PM

Great project! Looking forward about it! Smiley I live in India. Can I use standard shipping? Is there any way to import private key? I mostly use vanity address, so it would help me.

~~MZ~~

Thanks ! You can always try standard shipping, absolutely no warranties as I've never tried a standard delivery to India Smiley

You cannot import a private key in regular wallet mode to avoid losing keys, but you can play with it in developer mode if you want (no wallet is supporting this mode for the time being though) - we might support sweeping a few keys in a future release if we get enough code space to add that feature.

My payment has confirmed. How long does it take before it gets shipped out and what is the average shipping time to The Netherlands? Sorry, I am really excited, haha.

Shipments done today + those lagging behind should be done tomorrow - we have a bit of a backlog that should be solved by then.

ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:50:14 AM

this attracts me but actually Its uses are not clear
I understand this stores the private key,but when using it,is it neccessary that the private key is stored anywhere? I mean,in the pc that you use or online.
can you erase the wallet and create new wallet? Can you use more this store more than one private key at the same time?
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 06:41:48 AM

this attracts me but actually Its uses are not clear
I understand this stores the private key,but when using it,is it neccessary that the private key is stored anywhere? I mean,in the pc that you use or online.
can you erase the wallet and create new wallet? Can you use more this store more than one private key at the same time?

it's a Hierarachical Deterministic wallet - it derives an "infinity" of keys based from a seed. The whole point is that any private key never leaves the device. The seed leaves the device at one point to let you backup it in case you lose it, then it can never be accessed.

webbrowser

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 06:44:33 AM

Can this be used on an Android smartphone? ie, connect to phone via USB OTG cable. Any supported wallets on Android?
btchip (OP)

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 07:11:58 AM

Can this be used on an Android smartphone? ie, connect to phone via USB OTG cable. Any supported wallets on Android?

Yes. It is supported by GreenAddress today - on https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.greenaddress.cordova (Play Store) or https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=it.greenaddress.cordova (F-Droid)

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: