Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:37:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is booming in Israel  (Read 13551 times)
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 05:27:29 PM

And just now Bitcoin was featured on "London and Kirshenbaum", also on channel 10. Their economic interpreter, Matan Hodorov, explained it reasonably. He has more to learn though, as he had to look at his notes to be able to tell the limit is 21M, and pronounced the creator "Satushi" (it's spelled the same in Hebrew).

Heh, I love that show. Link me to that episode?

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 05:29:12 PM

And just now Bitcoin was featured on "London and Kirshenbaum", also on channel 10. Their economic interpreter, Matan Hodorov, explained it reasonably. He has more to learn though, as he had to look at his notes to be able to tell the limit is 21M, and pronounced the creator "Satushi" (it's spelled the same in Hebrew).

I think it's not up yet, will do when available.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 05:38:45 PM

Are you Jewish/Israeli/know Hebrew ?

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 05:50:45 PM

My last name not give it away?  Cheesy

I'm of Syrian Jewish decent. (My family lived in Spain until the inquisition in late 1400's) and I speak Hebrew and Arabic fluently (my arabic needs touching up, but I can read and write pretty well)

- Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 05:52:45 PM

My last name not give it away?  Cheesy

I'm of Syrian Jewish decent. (My family lived in Spain until the inquisition in late 1400's) and I speak Hebrew and Arabic fluently (my arabic needs touching up, but I can read and write pretty well)

- Charlie

For all I know it's a nickname ...
Cool.

Perhaps you can update as to the state of Bitcoin in Arabic countries?
I heard some stuff about Iran some time ago, but it was several months ago and not concrete.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 05:57:22 PM

Mwhahahahahahahahahahhahaaaaaaaaaa

I mean.... YEY! Cheesy
MyBitcoinMint

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 05:57:49 PM

Aw so my trip to Israel just barely missed this?! Too bad, would have loved to be at this upcoming meetup. Thanks so much for meeting up, Meni, it was a pleasure!

-Gabe

My Bitcoin Mint
Sound Money...from your hard drive, to your hand!
www.MyBitcoinMint.com
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 06:08:11 PM

My last name not give it away?  Cheesy

- Charlie

Cool.

Perhaps you can update as to the state of Bitcoin in Arabic countries?
I heard some stuff about Iran some time ago, but it was several months ago and not concrete.

Iranians speak Farsi..not Arabic  Grin

Unfortunately, I dont have many friends and family in any Arabic speaking countries (except Morocco and Tunisia) because my family was kicked out and all of our property confiscated by the Assad regime.

Aw so my trip to Israel just barely missed this?! Too bad, would have loved to be at this upcoming meetup. Thanks so much for meeting up, Meni, it was a pleasure!

-Gabe

OH NO GABE IS BACK IN NEW YORK!!!!!!

Dude, come by this week!

gilgil

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 06:21:41 PM

Guys, I can't help the feeling that Bitcoin is another Jewish scheme to take over the world... Is Satoshi Jewish?

(If you didn't get my sense of humor - this is a JOKE. I am Jewish myself!)

Bitrated user: gil.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 06:28:00 PM

My last name not give it away?  Cheesy

- Charlie
Cool.
"Yankee" is a nickname. "Shrem" is his last name. I thought this was all common knowledge.

Sure, it's been great meeting you. You missed the boom but most of the buzz is online anyway, and the meetups are regular so you'll always be missing one.

Guys, I can't help the feeling that Bitcoin is another Jewish scheme to take over the world... Is Satoshi Jewish?
The two smartest people in the world are Satoshi Nakamoto and Eliezer Yudkowsky, so it makes sense they are the same person. EY is Jewish so...

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 11:59:18 PM

Use another browser. Did you try chrome?

I'm on chrome and got this error.
Click the shield sign on the address bar, and click 'load insecure content'.

Cool, it works! (Never saw that shield icon before).
Can someone document how to add new shops to this map?

Someone has to modify the <display_points> to use https://maps.google instead of http://maps.google
I don't know how to do it.

To add new shops to the map, make an account so you can edit the wiki, then click edit.  The listings look like this:

46.218035,6.142718|Café Moka|http://www.cafemoka.ch/|File:Green_marker.png

So you can just make a new one with the same form and add it in there on a new line next the others.  To get the coordinates of the location, put the address in google maps, and right click on the location and click "what's here" and copy the coordinates.  If the location is a restaurant, you use the green marker, if it is a hotel change it to Blue, if it is something else, change to Red.  Preview it to make sure it shows up before saving.

Or just post the location, website, and name, or PM it to me, and someone will add it for you.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 12:04:27 AM

Thanks!

joecooin

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 12:35:35 AM

Restaurants and cafes will come too, I know a few people but it takes time.

Pity.

The people from Channel 10 had set up a skype-interview appointment with me for that night. We were celebrating the blockchain birthday at ROOM77 in Berlin then. It would probably have encouraged one or another barowner in Israel to accept BTC to see a bar full of Bitcoiners happily partying and spending bitcoins.

Unfortunately the guys from Channel 10 never rang any of the skype accounts I told them or rang me back on my phone and they didn't even answer their phone anymore that night Sad.

But then, it won't be long ... Smiley.

Joe

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 02:54:39 PM

Here you go
(Sorry, no Youtube)

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 01:45:49 AM

[quote  author=ripper234 link=topic=135088.msg1441582#msg1441582 date=1357656879]

Amazing to hear Bitcoin discussed by foreigners.  Way to go.  

The US is increasingly losing credibility round the world.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:40:16 PM

This is a good place to boast the most successful meetup to date by far, with over 100 people (I think about 130).
http://www.meetup.com/bitcoin-il/events/97068362/

Also, theymos was kind enough to create a subforum for Hebrew, and also configure it to use right-to-left by default.

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:57:31 PM

This is a good place to boast the most successful meetup to date by far, with over 100 people (I think about 130).
http://www.meetup.com/bitcoin-il/events/97068362/

Also, theymos was kind enough to create a subforum for Hebrew, and also configure it to use right-to-left by default.

Yeah, the meetup was quite an event - thanks a lot to Meni for organizing and Adi Avidor (if he frequents these forums) for getting us the wonderful meeting room courtesy of Google Israel (not to mention refreshments).

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 08:04:23 PM

very very interesting thread Smiley

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
constitution

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 01:08:04 AM

Isreal is kind of the finance capital of the world, Its no surprise its taking off there as much as it has.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 01:28:19 AM

Isreal is kind of the finance capital of the world, Its no surprise its taking off there as much as it has.

NY, London and HK. Tel Aviv is far behind.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: