Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:47:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $55 Million for Blockstream to build out Bitcoin!  (Read 4783 times)
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 06:28:37 AM

No dev team can continue without money. It is not like we are paying them to code on bitcoin right?

We need to accept that there will be investments from big corporations and venture capital. It is the only way to gather enough funds to see this true.

The risk may be that the new code will be something they would like to see for some product or services, but that is alright if it is not sneaky business and trying to slide it past everybody imo.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 09:05:23 AM

Corporate backing for bitcoin/Bitcoin developers. No one else sees a problem with this?

Normal people do have a problem. I have a problem. Blockstream is there to destroy Bitcoin, doing it for bankster's dimes. So obvious it screams.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:47:40 AM

Gawd dammit, Ice, I agree with you for once.  Angry

Only. The. Code. Matters.

So true.

Crikey, isn't that a sign of the Bitpocalypse?    Shocked

But ya, only the code matters.

All of this anti-Blockstream FUD fixating on who wrote the code, why they wrote it, where they wrote it, what they were wearing when they wrote it, what they ate for breakfast, what club they went to last night, and where their pets' vet went to elementary school is an irrelevant distraction.

The Monero Trolls and other Altcoiners of course welcome all addition capital invested to cripple Bitcoin.
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 10:16:33 AM

So true.

Crikey, isn't that a sign of the Bitpocalypse?    Shocked

All of this anti-Blockstream FUD fixating on who wrote the code, why they wrote it, where they wrote it, what they were wearing when they wrote it, what they ate for breakfast, what club they went to last night, and where their pets' vet went to elementary school is an irrelevant distraction.

The Monero Trolls and other Altcoiners of course welcome all addition capital invested to cripple Bitcoin.

They have leveraged the work of countless people over 7 years to build out a ledgering system that has proved itself to be largely unbreakable.( all the scams/thefts from bitcoin have been a result of human failings rather than anything in the protocol, but i'm open to correction). The last few holes in such things as 0-conf and tx malleability are being patched up as we speak.

But what some of the flag wavers fail to realise is that it is just about the code - not the bitcoins themselves. Banks obviously want to make money, but their main business is simply the accurate accounting of transactions. And that is what the blockchain provides. The idea that a 2-way peg with bitcoins implies that a $1m transaction on a sidechain will require $1m worth of bitcoin is naive.  The peg will simply act in the same manner that a government stamp has when conveying title on a land deed. It gives the underlying transaction legitimacy by virtue of its existence. The stamp itself is of nominal value. This is why a strict limit is important - its the fee paid that signifies the value, not the transaction amount.

I think this announcement signifies a clear line in the sand as we move from seeing bitcoin as a peer to peer electronic cash system to it simply being an accounting backbone for multi-billion dollar financial institutions. Make of that what you will, and what impact it will have for the value of bitcoin.

When is the last time you heard much discussion of rolling out payment solutions for the public or multi million dollar investments in the firms working on them?

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 10:43:51 AM

So true.

Crikey, isn't that a sign of the Bitpocalypse?    Shocked

They have leveraged the work of countless people over 7 years to build out a ledgering system that has proved itself to be largely unbreakable.( all the scams/thefts from bitcoin have been a result of human failings rather than anything in the protocol, but i'm open to correction). The last few holes in such things as 0-conf and tx malleability are being patched up as we speak.

But what some of the flag wavers fail to realise is that it is just about the code - not the bitcoins themselves. Banks obviously want to make money, but their main business is simply the accurate accounting of transactions. And that is what the blockchain provides. The idea that a 2-way peg with bitcoins implies that a $1m transaction on a sidechain will require $1m worth of bitcoin is naive.  The peg will simply act in the same manner that a government stamp has when conveying title on a land deed. It gives the underlying transaction legitimacy by virtue of its existence. The stamp itself is of nominal value. This is why a strict limit is important - its the fee paid that signifies the value, not the transaction amount.

I think this announcement signifies a clear line in the sand as we move from seeing bitcoin as a peer to peer electronic cash system to it simply being an accounting backbone for multi-billion dollar financial institutions. Make of that what you will, and what impact it will have for the value of bitcoin.

When is the last time you heard much discussion of rolling out payment solutions for the public or multi million dollar investments in the firms working on them?

Do you think the Blockstream/PWC/AXA Softfork will be the winner against the hard fork proposals? Will the miners upgrade to Blockstream/PWC/AXA 0.12 instead of Classic/BU?
By the way: my car is insured by AXA.
sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 11:42:59 AM

So true.

Crikey, isn't that a sign of the Bitpocalypse?    Shocked

But what some of the flag wavers fail to realise is that it is just about the code - not the bitcoins themselves. Banks obviously want to make money, but their main business is simply the accurate accounting of transactions. And that is what the blockchain provides. The idea that a 2-way peg with bitcoins implies that a $1m transaction on a sidechain will require $1m worth of bitcoin is naive.  The peg will simply act in the same manner that a government stamp has when conveying title on a land deed. It gives the underlying transaction legitimacy by virtue of its existence. The stamp itself is of nominal value. This is why a strict limit is important - its the fee paid that signifies the value, not the transaction amount.

Do you think the Blockstream/PWC/AXA Softfork will be the winner against the hard fork proposals? Will the miners upgrade to Blockstream/PWC/AXA 0.12 instead of Classic/BU?
By the way: my car is insured by AXA.

The more pragmatic miners support Classic because its their best bet to secure the value of Bitcoin into the near future. They currently realise most of their income from the sale of bitcoins as a value token, whereas the blockstream model could very well kill that off in favour of artificially induced fees. With no clear indication of how this will work, I imagine they will opt to preserve bitcoin as peer-to-peer cash system for the time being.

The part of AXA involved with this appears to be a €250m fund from their reserve pool that they are dedicating to VC projects. Exactly how much they have committed has never been stated. They haven't mentioned it on their website yet.  Oddly enough, they posted a list of 'Top 10' bitcoin projects in 2016 - Blockstream is not mentioned, but Ethereum is.  Cheesy

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 02:56:54 PM

First they laugh at you, then they insult you, then they toss wads of sweaty money at you and you lap it up like a poodle. Way to cypherpunk, Blockstream!

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 03:11:59 PM

First they laugh at you, then they insult you, then they toss wads of sweaty money at you and you lap it up like a poodle. Way to cypherpunk, Blockstream!

Please be advised the Bitcoin community, being mostly libertarian/minarchist/anarchist/agorist in nature, is overwhelmingly pro-enterprise.

Your appeals to anti-capitalist sentiment and class/wealth envy will fall on deaf ears.

Save the Bernie Sanders schtick for the trendy Reddit progs and SJWs.  It has no power here!   Smiley

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 04:22:42 PM

WOW, that is very very cool and I am glad to hear. Great news for them  Cheesy

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 06:37:19 PM

WOW, that is very very cool and I am glad to hear. Great news for them  Cheesy

https://news.bitcoin.com/the-curious-case-of-gregory-maxwell-and-the-lightning-network/

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 06:57:04 PM

Who would be considered the controlling parties? This might imaginably fall back on the developers, in particularly the core developers. The responsibility to incorporate, it might be argued, falls back on the development team for not incorporating.

Bitcoin!

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 07:02:17 PM

You know what? It wont make a blind bit of difference.

gmax could just come out and say "Fuck you buttcoiners, my options are worth $8m now!!!" and the same accounts will reply with:

Bullish!

Thread should be titled:  ( Re: $55 Million for Blockstream to build sell out Bitcoin! )

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 07:17:12 PM

"We were one of the first companies that painted a vision for interoperable blockchains, that there wasn’t going to be one blockchain, but many of them, all building off the bitcoin codebase to deliver the technology."

In particular, Hill cited the recent decision by blockchain startup Digital Asset Holdings to use Blockstream’s tech as part of its Open Ledger Project, an open-source blockchain initiative being overseen by the Linux Foundation, as an example how the bitcoin codebase can become more relevant for commercial applications.

As such, Hill suggested Blockstream’s value proposition will be in its ability to adapt bitcoin’s codebase for other production use cases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8mduTEvnU0

blunderer

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:18:35 PM

You know what? It wont make a blind bit of difference.

gmax could just come out and say "Fuck you buttcoiners, my options are worth $8m now!!!" and the same accounts will reply with:

Bullish!

Thread should be titled:  ( Re: $55 Million for Blockstream to build sell out Bitcoin! )

"You're payin' 5 bucks and I'm makin' 10,000 baby, so screw ya!"--Iggy Pop
Denker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:25:18 PM

Come on please! That's just biased bs!!And you post that crap in almost every thread here.Ridiculous!
This is someone's written opinion and far away from being neutral news!!!
But hey what to expect from this site right? Nothing!!
bjbear123

Activity: 181

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:27:08 PM

I think this is a good sign, anything to expand and improve bitcoin is a positive

BTC: 1Q3B9pr84adJJxBNmo3w3FaEWgcCjCSPTv | ETH: 0x1A053Df90E06f59fc7Aeb12F7a7Ea1f47FA53748 | LTC: LYUQYCy7S68Yry2qv3XRC7xx62GbHZEWhH | BCH: lol Wink
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:29:00 PM

Come on please! That's just biased bs!!And you post that crap in almost every thread here.Ridiculous!

You talkin' to me??

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 08:40:30 PM

Okay, split away the bias, the opinion and the non-news - what was inaccurate on the substance of the exchange on the subredit?

What specific points do you feel were misrepresented?

(and I'm not condoning the article)

bargainbin

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:41:01 PM

You talkin' to me??

Where did you see that biased Bitcoin article, Sweety?
croTek4

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

the Cat-a-clysm.

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:43:18 PM

"We are not that interested in the actual bitcoin as a currency"
-Manish Agarwal, general partner at AXA Strategic Ventures

http://www.coindesk.com/blockstream-investors-see-commercial-use-cases-for-bitcoin-blockchain/

Catether is an open source mineable ERC20 Token, powered by Cates.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: