Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:42:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $55 Million for Blockstream to build out Bitcoin!  (Read 4783 times)
Sir Lagsalot

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

The lion roars!

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:04:13 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2016, 09:28:33 PM by Sir Lagsalot

iCEBREAKER, sure it's all good. Was asking croTek4 why he quoted that line out of context, seems like he's implying something.

There's a lot of FUD swirling about Blockstream in this thread. I don't see any real conflicts of interest between their business model and Bitcoin's principles. They're under the spotlight when it comes to such things. If there were any real problems, we'd know.

Out of context? Seriously?  Try reading the thread ( protip: start at the title) again and then come back to us.

Here is Manish Agarwal's full quote:

”We believe that the blockchain technology has the potential to dramatically reshape the financial services landscape. The public blockchain is a key part of that, in my view. We are not that interested in the actual bitcoin as a currency, but the tech is the key.”

Quoting only a part of someone's statements, particularly in a way which twists their intended meaning, is called quoting out of context. Pro-tip: stay calm and think things through when replying to people. If you let emotion cloud your reason, your responses may appear foolish.

AXA sees business advantage in the public blockchain so they're funding the premier experts in that technology. These experts will use that money to further develop Bitcoin, in ways which benefit all users.

What is there to be upset about? If you take off your Classic goggles for one minute, you'll see that this is a very promising development for Bitcoin!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:17:46 PM

iCEBREAKER, sure it's all good. Was asking croTek4 why he quoted that line out of context, seems like he's implying something.

There's a lot of FUD swirling about Blockstream in this thread. I don't see any real conflicts of interest between their business model and Bitcoin's principles. They're under the spotlight when it comes to such things. If there were any real problems, we'd know.

Out of context? Seriously?  Try reading the thread ( protip: start at the title) again and then come back to us.

”We believe that the blockchain technology has the potential to dramatically reshape the financial services landscape. The public blockchain is a key part of that, in my view. We are not that interested in the actual bitcoin as a currency, but the tech is the key.”

Quoting only a part of someone's statements, particularly in a way which twists their intended meaning, is called quoting out of context. Pro-tip: stay calm and think things through when replying to people. If you let emotion cloud your reason, your responses may appear foolish.

AXA sees business advantage in the public blockchain so they're funding the premier experts in that technology. These experts will use that money to further develop Bitcoin, in ways which benefit all users.

What is there to be upset about? If you take off your Classic goggles for one minute, you'll see that this is a very promising development for Bitcoin!

Wat?!?! Why? How??

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:33:15 PM

Oh hooray!!@  we can finally give up on the dream of a decentralized currency where concensus, and freedom are key, and give the keys to a corporation. 

What a relief😥.

If your not actively using the technology behind your crypto investment,

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 09:34:02 PM

What is there to be upset about?

Welcome to the Bitcoin part of the Internet.

COMPLAIN ABOUT ALL THE THINGS!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Sir Lagsalot

Activity: 323

The lion roars!

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:53:02 PM

I really don't get all the complaining. So these financial services want to put their doings onto public blockchains (presumably Bitcoin sidechains), instead of messing about with private blockchains. Surely this is good news for customers of these services? They'll get a measure of transparency, quicker processing times and lower fees, probably better security too.

Surely it's also good news for Bitcoin? Having corporate sidechains dependent on the blockchain will raise Bitcoin's status and value, while giving major financial players a reason to defend it against attackers. Once the banks are dependent on Bitcoin's blockchain, we have far less to fear from them. Better to have them inside the tent pissing out than outside pissing in, yes?

I do believe we need to keep a critical eye on Blocksteam's future moves. But so long as they're improving and fixing Bitcoin, as well as bringing freedom-enhancing stuff like Confidential Transactions, it's ridiculous to accuse them of selling out.

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 09:55:45 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2016, 10:05:58 PM by MicroGuy

But so long as they're improving and fixing Bitcoin

This is the question mark.

Who are they 'fixing' it for and why? Does it need to be 'fixed'? and does this 'fixing' help their clients more? the community more? How do the core devs balance this dizzying conflict of interest?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 09:59:51 PM

This is the question mark. Who are they 'fixing' it for and why?

Segwit fixes transaction malleability and some other problems.

Confidential Transactions fixes the fungibility/privacy problem.

Try reading the bitcoin.org roadmap.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 10:01:07 PM

Out of context? Seriously?  Try reading the thread ( protip: start at the title) again and then come back to us.

How does the rest of the quote change anything? He is still saying that they dont want bitcoin the currency, just the ledger mechanism.  Thats the point we are making - bitcoin is effectively being asset stripped in front of our eyes. The diminution of bitcoin from a real life currency that you can buy real things with to being little more than a pow stamp on a transaction will have enormous impact on the community - but very few realise the true implications of this.

I fail to see how you can honestly believe that this is a positive development for bitcoin and those who have invested both time and money in its evolution as a peer to peer cash system. 

And dont believe for one minute that they will allow their money to be used  "to benefit all users" - it will only benefit them. Most of the proposed changes to bitcoin have little to do with general utility, and everything to do with making it attractive to corporate users.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 10:06:04 PM

Of course - and all those things, especially CT, are being demanded by corporate users.

The current bitcoin community has not been screaming for CT now, have they?  CT is the result of push back from the VC's you have been hawking Bitcoin to for the last few months. The roadmap is the result of a fine tuning of Bitcoin to appeal to Big Business.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:53:21 PM

Of course - and all those things, especially CT, are being demanded by corporate users.

The current bitcoin community has not been screaming for CT now, have they?  CT is the result of push back from the VC's you have been hawking Bitcoin to for the last few months. The roadmap is the result of a fine tuning of Bitcoin to appeal to Big Business.

Actually, a lot of us have been screaming for added privacy for a long time, due to taint analysis/blacklisting by big businesses. Why would confidental transactions appeal to big businesses? If that were true, why have do companies like Bitpay, Coinbase and Circle blacklist customers/vendors based on the source of their bitcoins? It seems to me that confidential transactions would hamper any efforts by the big corporations that are currently trying to monetize bitcoin transactions to comply with certain regulations, like the Bank Secrecy Act.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1190707.0;all

Core's roadmap puts a great deal of emphasis on decentralization (as opposed to anything offered by the Classic team). Could you explain how it appeals to Big Business? Or are we just making claims based on zero evidence, as I suspect?

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:04:52 PM

Is Bitpay flagging addresses and blacklisting transactions from addresses??

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:19:44 PM

Is Bitpay flagging addresses and blacklisting transactions from addresses??

Yes, they are:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3mea6b/bitpay_is_blacklisting_certain_bitcoins_rejecting/?ref=search_posts

and also they are working with chainalysis company, for this purpose:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/4012hu/bitpay_is_actively_cooperating_with_chainalysis/

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
PakistanHockeyfan

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:27:38 PM

We are very far from that possibility. I'm apologetic on the matter as it may make me seem pessimistic.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 11:36:56 PM

CT and segwit are parts of the scaling roadmap.  It all works together.

Before increasing the size of the blocks, we make sure the blocks are optimal.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:42:23 PM

Well that shit ain't right either.  Angry

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1354483.msg13789116#msg13789116

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2016, 12:23:00 AM

Actually, a lot of us have been screaming for added privacy for a long time, due to taint analysis/blacklisting by big businesses. Why would confidental transactions appeal to big businesses? If that were true, why have do companies like Bitpay, Coinbase and Circle blacklist customers/vendors based on the source of their bitcoins? It seems to me that confidential transactions would hamper any efforts by the big corporations that are currently trying to monetize bitcoin transactions to comply with certain regulations, like the Bank Secrecy Act.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1190707.0;all

Core's roadmap puts a great deal of emphasis on decentralization (as opposed to anything offered by the Classic team). Could you explain how it appeals to Big Business? Or are we just making claims based on zero evidence, as I suspect?

Oh for christs sake, you people are hopeless.

CT only obfuscates the amounts and nature of the transaction. It does fuck all to hide who you are, other than the usual tricks already in bitcoin and the remaining whiff of pseudonymity left after normal data mining of the blockchain.

Banks dont care about being anonymous, just that the details of the tx remain confidential. If CT truly hid you, how long do you think it would last up against AML/KYC? I mean seriously, answer that.

This is just another stupid attack on the few things left in bitcoin that gives it any little bit of utility. If you want to buy cp or drugs and not get caught, find some other way.

How does it appeal to Big Business? $76m not enough reasons for you?

Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:37:56 AM

Only. The. Code. Matters.

"We were one of the first companies that painted a vision for interoperable blockchains, that there wasn’t going to be one blockchain, but many of them, all building off the bitcoin codebase to deliver the technology."

In particular, Hill cited the recent decision by blockchain startup Digital Asset Holdings to use Blockstream’s tech as part of its Open Ledger Project, an open-source blockchain initiative being overseen by the Linux Foundation, as an example how the bitcoin codebase can become more relevant for commercial applications.

As such, Hill suggested Blockstream’s value proposition will be in its ability to adapt bitcoin’s codebase for other production use cases

Yes, those 55 Millions will be used to adapt the Bitcoin codebase for the production of permissioned/censored bankster chains, which is their core competence. They must have realized that they are not able to privatize Bitcoin. That coup failed.

Fork Race Update: 315 : 155 Nodes (Bitcoin Classic Hardfork 0.11.2 : Blockthestream Softfork 0.12.0)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 09:24:14 AM

translation
Segwit fixes transaction malleability and proposes to increase capacity

Confidential Transactions fixes the fungibility/privacy problem, while reducing the capacity segwit proposed(250byte extra data bloat per confidential tx)

bitcoin needs 2mb+segwit (to have more capacity and all of blockstR3ams dreams come true)

but blockstR3am wont deviate off the one way road to wall street, kicking normal people to the curb(offchain) along the way

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Shrinath

Activity: 112
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:00:33 AM

Great news!! $55 Million is not a joke and it's huge amount to invest in a technology. That shows the trust of the loyal fans of bitcoin and also shows the future potential is huge. Good news indeed! Before we get too excited about this, let's first find out who these venture capital firms are.... Anyone have more details on  AXA Group; Digital Garage and Horizons Ventures? I tried to Google them and find very little information. I like the roadmap for the Blockstream development more than the Bitcoin Classic proposal, but I would like to know a bit more about the people pushing for the Blockstream and their motives behind that... You do not invest that kind of money, if you not expecting some kind of return on it. Congratz Blockstream.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: