Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:40:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Got btc donation after posting anti-corporation blog article  (Read 879 times)
bitdude55 (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:02:19 PM

Hey just wanted to get your thoughts on this. What if I recently published a blog article criticising a large tech corporation where I used to work? Let's say the article was mostly critical of their tax avoidance strategies while giving a bit of insight into how this seeps down into their office culture, day to day operations etc. Crazy thing is I get a big (multiple) btc donation shortly after posting. Who would you suspect of donating the money: hostile foreign government, competitor corporation, random (rich) fan/supporter, radical group etc.? What would you do about it? Aside from spend the money of course  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:04:46 PM

A random (rich) fan/supporter sounds like a good guess, since a competitor corporation would not see it as a good way to spend money.
Great work, and you also got lucky.  Smiley

bitdude55 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:11:01 PM

How do you figure out who gave it?
fair_player

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:44:19 PM

How do you figure out who gave it?

Maybe that was in order to stimulate you into posting more information about this particular company or similar companies...
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4409

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:45:57 PM

Hey just wanted to get your thoughts on this. What if I recently published a blog article criticising a large tech corporation where I used to work? Let's say the article was mostly critical of their tax avoidance strategies while giving a bit of insight into how this seeps down into their office culture, day to day operations etc. Crazy thing is I get a big (multiple) btc donation shortly after posting. Who would you suspect of donating the money: hostile foreign government, competitor corporation, random (rich) fan/supporter, radical group etc.? What would you do about it? Aside from spend the money of course  Wink

firstly.. before you spend your bitcoins. work out the native fiat currency value of it and pay your income tax
afterall you dont want to be seen as avoiding paying tax Cheesy

and if you reply "but bitcoin is not a native fiat currency"

well to google (america) the pound is not their native fiat either. and to any business set up in the cayman islands.. the dollar euro and pound are not native currencies either

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 08:04:22 PM

Probably a rich guy who liked your article a lot. If I was you I would hold it because the price is going to go up pretty soon!
Aamir1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 08:22:46 PM

Probably a rich guy who liked your article a lot. If I was you I would hold it because the price is going to go up pretty soon!

Agreed.. And you must be lucky to get that though. Good luck to you anyway.
bitdude55 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 08:24:59 PM

Hey just wanted to get your thoughts on this. What if I recently published a blog article criticising a large tech corporation where I used to work? Let's say the article was mostly critical of their tax avoidance strategies while giving a bit of insight into how this seeps down into their office culture, day to day operations etc. Crazy thing is I get a big (multiple) btc donation shortly after posting. Who would you suspect of donating the money: hostile foreign government, competitor corporation, random (rich) fan/supporter, radical group etc.? What would you do about it? Aside from spend the money of course  Wink

firstly.. before you spend your bitcoins. work out the native fiat currency value of it and pay your income tax
afterall you dont want to be seen as avoiding paying tax Cheesy

and if you reply "but bitcoin is not a native fiat currency"

well to google (america) the pound is not their native fiat either. and to any business set up in the cayman islands.. the dollar euro and pound are not native currencies either

No taxes man, don't do that shit   Grin
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2016, 09:04:35 PM

You must be very lucky indeed Smiley
I would check your spam folder etc. to see if you didn't get a message or anything.

It's pretty strange that someone would donate such a large amount of BTC and not leave a message.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4409

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 09:19:57 PM

No taxes man, don't do that shit   Grin

and now you have just voided your own "anti-corporate tax avoidance" morals.. because you yourself think that tax avoidance is acceptable..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Anddos

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 09:48:10 PM

Payment after the article is written? What for? To encourage you to continue and write another one? Because the "dirty work" would have been done so what other point would there be? People are usually not so generous just out of the kindness of their hearts.

eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2016, 10:04:33 PM

Payment after the article is written? What for? To encourage you to continue and write another one? Because the "dirty work" would have been done so what other point would there be? People are usually not so generous just out of the kindness of their hearts.
It's kinda difficult though to guess what the donator wants from him though if he didn't leave any kind of message.

tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 10:36:35 PM

Did you ask for donations in the article? or is there a general donation link on your blog? It could be relating to something else if there wasn't a message left or a family member? wherever it came from, happy days and enjoy.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 10:49:44 PM

You could try to track down the address of the sender, but don't really see the point. The main thing is that someone somewhere liked what
you are doing is and decided to reward you for it, which means you're doing something well.

In your place i would stop trying to figure out the donator/s and focus on getting more similar articles done.
We need to expose them all to the public.

cheers
virtualdn
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1093

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 10:52:11 PM

Does it really matter? Enjoy your BTC... or better keep it safe until will get really big to cash out Cheesy

1 BTC = 1 BTC
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 11:02:13 PM

my guess would be a "random (rich) fan/supporter".  as you have already posted the article a compitetor company wouldnt need to pay you now,  although as has already been said they be trying to encourage you to write more......  Wink
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 11:32:52 PM

Hey just wanted to get your thoughts on this. What if I recently published a blog article criticising a large tech corporation where I used to work? Let's say the article was mostly critical of their tax avoidance strategies while giving a bit of insight into how this seeps down into their office culture, day to day operations etc. Crazy thing is I get a big (multiple) btc donation shortly after posting. Who would you suspect of donating the money: hostile foreign government, competitor corporation, random (rich) fan/supporter, radical group etc.? What would you do about it? Aside from spend the money of course  Wink

Lucky guy. Where's your article published? I could write large well-documented anti-corporation articles everyday, but nobody has ever offered me any money to do that. Are you sure the 2 are related (your article and the BTC you received)? Very few people send a donation, let alone a tip, after reading one article.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 11:53:48 PM

Personally, I will not criticise the company that I used to work. Since I was one of them, most likely my words are bias.

I think BTC donations for articles are mostly random. Don't expect any donation, just write good articles!
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 3408

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 12:04:05 AM

I would go with competitor corporation since with this way, their trying to encourage you to even dig a little more in case you decide to continue sighting what's wrong with the corporations you were working and at the same time rewarding you for the article itself. There's also a possibility that a rich supporter have been on your tail for some time and decides now is the time to give some donations to you for all the hard work perhaps.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Anddos

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 10:19:54 PM

Whoever the donor would be, things should be approached with caution. No one is so kind as to give you money out of thin air. There is always a reason behind actions and usually are not selfless.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: