Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:49:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Donate to a good cause! Building homes for the homeless.  (Read 5247 times)
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:39:19 PM

Well, the dates for the trip have come! We'll be leaving early tomorrow morning (3am) to catch our 7:30am flight, and gathering all of our supplies. We start building on Monday, and finish by Thursday. 2nd half of Thursday and Friday will be spend working at an orphanage there, again doing some maintenance and upkeep on their facility, as they don't have the means. We come home Saturday. I won't be on the forums again until at least then.

I just wanted to say a giant Thank You to all those that donated! Bitcoin donations funded about 40% of my trip, and I think that's just plain awesome! I will post pictures of the young couple and their 8 month old boy and their new house wen I get back. Thanks again!

Aaron

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miningdude

Activity: 416
Merit: 250

Have a mining rig

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:09:03 PM

Looking forward to seeing the photos. I think every young person in first world countries should have this type of opportunity. The perspective gained through such a trip is invaluable and affects you for life.
Beaflag VonRathburg

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:27:45 AM

Well, the dates for the trip have come! We'll be leaving early tomorrow morning (3am) to catch our 7:30am flight, and gathering all of our supplies. We start building on Monday, and finish by Thursday. 2nd half of Thursday and Friday will be spend working at an orphanage there, again doing some maintenance and upkeep on their facility, as they don't have the means. We come home Saturday. I won't be on the forums again until at least then.

I just wanted to say a giant Thank You to all those that donated! Bitcoin donations funded about 40% of my trip, and I think that's just plain awesome! I will post pictures of the young couple and their 8 month old boy and their new house wen I get back. Thanks again!

Aaron

Aaron,

This might sound very crazy, but my family members do the same thing. My aunt is a minister and her son, my cousin just left for Oaxaca, Mexico on the 13th and returned the 20th. Maybe some sort of super coincidence or perhaps you know each other? Do by chance happen to be in Connecticut. You can PM me if you don't want to post details publicly.

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:17:49 PM

I apologize for taking so long to finally post these since I've been back. Our trip was a resounding success. We build 3 homes in the week we were there, and each of the 3 families had very different stories for why they needed these houses. 2 of the parents were for young couples with young children, so they could live in a house that was more than just pallets or cardboard. Cardboard doesn't do so well in a sandstorm. The third house was for a couple who's parents were sick, but lived an hour away, so they were able to move in with their daughter who could care for them. We also visited an orphanage for troubled or neglected children, and spend 2 days working on fixing up some of their facilities, and playing with the kids. It was great.

Here are some pics of the building of the house. It's nothing amazing, but during the 3rd day, a sandstorm hit us, and it was cool that a house that wasnt there 3 days before was now protecting all 20 of us. It's the only house for miles with sheetrock, insulation, and sliding windows. Click for larger images.

This is the family my group was building for. There is the mother, her boyfriend, and their 8 month old son. She is part of a larger family, and you can see her siblings and parents as well.

Mama, Papa, Baby, and Auntie all putting their handprints in the threshold.

These are some of the kids from the orphanage we got to play with. They're either orphans, which means their parents abandoned them, or neglected, which means they were removed from their homes and put here, as no relatives were able to care for them. Either way, you would never know, as the 3 year olds all the way up to the 13 year olds were all very happy and smiling and willing to play with you all day long, something rare to find in an orphanage!

Finally, THANK YOU to all of those who donated BTC to help fund this trip! It was an awesome, tangible way to help make the world a better place, and to help facilitate 20+ high school kids through that journey was humbling for me. If you have any questions, ask away!  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: