Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:18:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Donate to a good cause! Building homes for the homeless.  (Read 5245 times)
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 03:53:40 AM

Last year, my youngest brother was a senior in high school, and he went with a group of 30 other high school students to build houses for homeless families in Juarez Mexico. Up until recently, Juarez was labeled as "The most violent city in the world". Not everyone is violent, but multiple drug-trafficking cartels (and their ensuing rivalries) have left their toll, and many people are homeless and/or without jobs.

My brother went through an organization called Casas Por Cristo, whose sole function is to coordinate traveling teams to come down, and build homes. They plan everything out, so then when a team gets there, all the supplies are bought for and waiting on site. It takes 15 people about a week to build these small houses, which are very basic to say the least. A few small rooms, simple plumbing and electricity run, roof, etc. But more importantly, within a matter of days a dirt pit becomes a home for a family. It's pretty cool.

Casos Por Cristo has been doing this for quite a while, and has facilitated the building of hundreds of these homes, using thousands of volunteers. Often these families are living in cramped quarters with relatives at best, or living on the streets at the worst. In the case of my brother's trip last year, the couple had a recent newborn baby, and the father was working out-of-town just to find a job. A house to call home was very much needed. Here are a couple of pics from my brother's trip.

Setting up the foundation:                          Building the walls:                                     

The (almost) completed house:                   Footprints in the threshold to the house:

Well this year, my brother is going back! Since I also work with High School students through our church, I'm also going to be going with him(!), along with a good number of kids from our church. As our group has grown, we're bringing 40 High School students, and they're going to be building 3 houses!

Our group of 40 will completely pay for the entire cost of all 3 houses, including supplies, food, airfare, hopefully something special for the families, and everything else, so it does cost money - about $1,000 per person. All of the students will be hosting fund-raisers before we leave in the middle of April, but if you thinking getting 40 High School students to fly down to Mexico during Spring Break and build houses for the poor rather than hitting up the beaches is pretty cool (I do!), then please consider donating! I've created a new address, so the donations can be publicly tracked: 1KUYDzEfLMsTojvUP1H9W4JGvUHi4cuHLw Seriously, anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated. 0.1BTC or 100BTC, I thank you.

We don't leave until the middle of April, but I'll be sure to update this thread as we get closer. When we do get back, I will be sure to post pictures of our work back in this thread. In the mean time, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks
Crazyates

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
polymorphous

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 05:11:18 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2013, 01:31:05 AM by polymorphous

I'm always somewhat leery of donating to causes with a religious affiliation, but seriously have tons of respect for these kids for doing this. So, it's not much, but am going to send you 0.5 BTC to start this thread going. Hopefully more will do the same.

TX cb5f110e8e79394e38d0402dc4cb856e000600268face25e4c438166b69aff06

Best of luck with this.

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 02:32:01 AM

I'm always somewhat leery of donating to causes with a religious affiliation, but seriously have tons of respect for these kids for doing this. So, it's nice much, but am going to send you 0.5 BTC to start this thread going. Hopefully more will do the same.

I thank you very much!

Blaksmith

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 05:18:57 AM

It isn't much, but there are LOTS of homeless in the world!  Good luck in getting some donations for the cause. Smiley

Cheers,
Blak

"Your future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one." Dr. Emmett Brown
Donations welcome: Bitcoin: 1BLAKSMTjnME4ZJX7VzzUyEgbQYLShvqgi Catcoin: 9aw3Ttiz5yMALUm2DUj748cCHYQLatwLPz Unobtanium: uh3bjJua71jFijmz1yAB89KM8mqJEbzrek
Pool owner of: geekhash.org
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 06:10:58 AM

It isn't much, but there are LOTS of homeless in the world!  Good luck in getting some donations for the cause. Smiley

Cheers,
Blak
Thanks! It can sometimes seem like TOO big of a problem. But like I said, they've already build hundreds and hundreds of homes already, and we are on the way to building hundreds more. Smiley

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:15:07 AM

I just sent something for the good cause

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:49:02 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2013, 08:18:31 AM by crazyates

I just sent something for the good cause
I saw a donation come in, and then saw you posted here. Thanks!

hxtop

Activity: 1071
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 09:42:52 AM

actually,
the same problem happened in china.
but how to solve it not just donate BTC can be solve it.
this a global problem.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2013, 03:32:25 AM

sent a little something
do good Cheesy

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
constitution

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 01:02:40 AM

Dont take this offensively in any way, but how do we know the Bitcoins are getting where you say they are?
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 06:44:45 PM

Dont take this offensively in any way, but how do we know the Bitcoins are getting where you say they are?
None taken. I set up a new address just so anyone can see the coins as they've come in. As you can see according to Blockchain, I havn't converted the coins into USD yet. Once I do do that, I'm not sure how to publicly track their actual donation. Do you have any suggestion on this matter?

neotrix

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 07:04:31 AM

1 btc more on road  Wink

I wish you best of luck

Neotrix

Crypto-trade.com : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149458.0
https://koddos.com and http://kovpslayer.com.  "Bitcointalkdiscount" to get 10% discount recurring.
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 10:24:46 PM

1 btc more on road  Wink

I wish you best of luck

Neotrix
Thanks!

To those who have donated in the past: the increase in price over the past month means that every coin donated to date goes even farther. As it stands right now, 20% of my trip has been funded through your donations. Amazing!  Grin Shocked Smiley

Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 05:45:53 PM

Do this in America, and i'll donate regularly.
kpriess

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

Money is the root of all evil.

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 04:58:36 PM

Last time I checked Mexico was still in America..
mornaner

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:25:59 PM

I'd say more, it actually was in North America!
tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:39:07 PM

I'd say more, it actually was in North America!
They've changed their minds, and they're now saying that North and South America are one continent, and Antarctica isn't a continent, but Europe and Asia are somehow still their own, separate continents.

We've got some sound logic here, folks.  Tongue
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:08:12 PM

We do plenty of stuff in our local community, but the needs aren't quite the same.

bumbo

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:37:54 PM

Casas por Cristo relies on the labor and resources of full time staff missionaries, a board of over 100 pastors and community leaders from Juárez and Acuña, México and San Raimundo, Guatemala and nearly 7,000 annual volunteers from across North America. Through these cross-cultural mission trips, volunteer teams are presented with an amazing opportunity to build a home for a family in need.

In just one week teams transform an otherwise empty lot into a safe and secure home - complete with cement foundation, electricity, windows and doors. As a result of this experience, each family receives a tangible symbol of the faithfulness and unconditional love of Jesus Christ. As volunteers gain perspective on the extreme poverty that exists in our world, so do these families better understand God's plan for their lives and His deep desire to take care of their needs.

This is the project's self description, taken from their website. Emphasis added by me. By donating you are supporting religious missionaries who who are doing this only for their fellows, not for any homeless person, like the thread title kind of suggests.
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:32:22 PM

Casas por Cristo relies on the labor and resources of full time staff missionaries, a board of over 100 pastors and community leaders from Juárez and Acuña, México and San Raimundo, Guatemala and nearly 7,000 annual volunteers from across North America. Through these cross-cultural mission trips, volunteer teams are presented with an amazing opportunity to build a home for a family in need.

In just one week teams transform an otherwise empty lot into a safe and secure home - complete with cement foundation, electricity, windows and doors. As a result of this experience, each family receives a tangible symbol of the faithfulness and unconditional love of Jesus Christ. As volunteers gain perspective on the extreme poverty that exists in our world, so do these families better understand God's plan for their lives and His deep desire to take care of their needs.

This is the project's self description, taken from their website. Emphasis added by me. By donating you are supporting religious missionaries who who are doing this only for their fellows, not for any homeless person, like the thread title kind of suggests.

Thanks for taking the time to look into them. However, I think you bolded all the wrong parts. I fixed that for you. You somehow seemed to have extrapolated information about their candidate selection process from an excerpt of their site that does not have anything to do with that. I think you got confused. Yes, the organization uses local pastors who are familiar with the local community to identify candidates for the receipt of these houses, but the people we are building for do not even go to church.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: