Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:43:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How hard would it be to infect the USA with the Flu?  (Read 1635 times)
sounds (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:53:52 AM

Since there's now a "Flu Virus Outbreak" on the nightly news, what would it take to artificially introduce a new influenza strain that becomes a US pandemic?

Assume a new flu virus has been created already in a lab somewhere (skip the biology).

Also, who would benefit? Obama-care advocates? Wealthy plutocrats? North Korea?

(I'm just throwing out some bad ideas.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:58:22 AM

Since there's now a "Flu Virus Outbreak" on the nightly news, what would it take to artificially introduce a new influenza strain that becomes a US pandemic?

Assume a new flu virus has been created already in a lab somewhere (skip the biology).

Rural America would be fine, it's the cities that would be depopulated.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 01:53:19 AM

It would need to have certain qualities to cause any serious disruption.  Any disease which incapacitates people too rapidly tends to be self-limiting (the haemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola are like this), no matter how deadly - so you want something which is highly contagious but which also has a reasonable incubation period so that people are spreading it around before being aware that they're ill.  You also want something which is spread by droplets and which survives on surfaces.  You also need something to which survivors don't develop immunity so that they are infected and infectious for life and which disables those it doesn't kill.

If enough people die/become ill, the US would grind to a halt in terms of economic activity, maintaining infrastructure, etc.  Essential services would probably break down quite quickly and if transportation was seriously affected you'd probably see food shortages quite quickly too.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
sounds (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:37:01 AM

Ok, I think influenza qualifies on all points except it doesn't permanently disable survivors. Mortality rates are highest among the young and the old.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:44:02 AM

Ok, I think influenza qualifies on all points except it doesn't permanently disable survivors. Mortality rates are highest among the young and the old.

Yeah, to cripple an economy you really need your workforce and your primary and secondary producers to be disabled for a significant period of time, if not permanently.  You want it to be bad enough that you can't solve the problem with immigration, so this needs to be a disease which makes people disabled and contagious long-term and for which there's no prospect of a vaccine for at least a decade.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
sounds (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:59:17 AM

I agree - the flu won't damage the top producers in the economy.

Ok, what if that's the point? Who would benefit? The flu could create a panic by hurting the most vulnerable people in society without damaging the production of the nation.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 03:04:59 AM

The workers also would be afraid from becoming sick and stay home. Economy will suffer.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 07:10:20 AM

Okay, if I were a super villain what you would do to cause a widespread panic with a virus at least is not just make one, you would target the most basic of food, so anything with ingredients like flour or milk, so you attack the wheat farms, the cattle farms, water and so on, anything which people generally rely on, then the amount of disease that spreads from that because it infects the humans that ingest it would be catastrophic and of course the amount of panic the infections would cause would spread everywhere making it extremely difficult for the government to pinpoint the source.

It would actually be disturbingly easy to take down a western country because of both how centralised and disorganised everything is in the government most of the time.
gabbergabe

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 09:43:25 AM

how airborne herpes?

hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 03:13:04 PM

Extremely easy. 

All you do is simply announce on aforementioned program channel that it has been done. 
As you demonstrated, we all believe everything said there is truth so that is what happened. 

Beneficiaries: big pharma, police, advertisers. 
bccdn

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 03:52:56 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2013, 04:09:31 PM by bccdn

Try Plague Inc for android, and you can do it yourself, haha.
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 04:19:58 PM

Go to work when you are running a temperature and don't wash you hands. Sneeze when you are close to co workers, best in lifts between departments. Go to the toilet and smear some snot ot the fossets.

You can cost your employer $100.000!!!

Thats about what you can do with the flu, not contagious enough for anything serious.
vite
Legendary

Activity: 1018

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 05:03:22 PM

Maybe change the title to "How long before the US government sends me on an all expenses paid vacation for openly plotting a viral attack against the US population" Wink

Seriously though, most western states are doing a good enough job at reducing immune system effectiveness with antibiotics to make this kind of thing inevitable anyway, all you have to do is wait.

Flu viral infection is easy it happens every time the season changes and vectors are airports.

Antibiotics are for bacterias and will not help against a viral infection.

An airborn 3 day virus with no effective cure and human weakness would be effectively be delivered via airports. In fact via airports you could prolly infect the whole world.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 06:26:55 PM

Maybe change the title to "How long before the US government sends me on an all expenses paid vacation for openly plotting a viral attack against the US population"
I'm openly plotting nuclear attack against US using bomb-laden homing pigeons. And I wank in the same time. This should be taken just as serious as OP post, right?
Seriously though, most western states are doing a good enough job at reducing immune system effectiveness with antibiotics to make this kind of thing inevitable anyway, all you have to do is wait.
Without antibiotics I would be dead at least two times right now. First from pneumonia and second time from infected wound cut with rusty metal edge from sewers.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 06:58:22 PM

Century ago there was no medical testing and understanding about immune system as it is now.

Spanish influence or whatever the epidemic in 1918 was called was caused by relatively weak virus and many fatalities were from overreacting immune system. Also century ago the food was not available, many workers and children were starving. This weakens immune system and there were many cases of infection and death from tuberculosis, pneumonia and such things that are curable by antibiotics today.

Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 07:29:24 PM

Century ago there was no medical testing and understanding about immune system as it is now.

Spanish influence or whatever the epidemic in 1918 was called was caused by relatively weak virus and many fatalities were from overreacting immune system. Also century ago the food was not available, many workers and children were starving. This weakens immune system and there were many cases of infection and death from tuberculosis, pneumonia and such things that are curable by antibiotics today.

My grandma was born in 1918 and she used to tell horror stories she heard as a child. And every time I had the flu, she would look at me as I wasn't gonna make it.

You Americans has too laxed an attitude towards antibiotics.  It takes around 5 months before your immune system is up to speed after an antibiotics cure. You also have the added benefit of several resistant strains in the wild. Antibiotics used in farming also has the same effect on the general population.

Since the 1970'ies Europe has been increasingly restrictive administering antibiotics from general practices. The broard spectered effective antibiotics are only used on hospitialized patients, if their prognosis is life threatening. Likewise vets are thightly controlled and if they administer antibiotics for growth purposes, they loose their license.

The difference in Europe,  is pehaps a less powerfull drug lobby. TB very seldom occur among our homeless.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 07:56:34 PM

My grandma was born in 1918 and she used to tell horror stories she heard as a child. And every time I had the flu, she would look at me as I wasn't gonna make it.

You Americans has too laxed an attitude towards antibiotics.  It takes around 5 months before your immune system is up to speed after an antibiotics cure. You also have the added benefit of several resistant strains in the wild. Antibiotics used in farming also has the same effect on the general population.

Since the 1970'ies Europe has been increasingly restrictive administering antibiotics from general practices. The broard spectered effective antibiotics are only used on hospitialized patients, if their prognosis is life threatening. Likewise vets are thightly controlled and if they administer antibiotics for growth purposes, they loose their license.

The difference in Europe,  is pehaps a less powerfull drug lobby. TB very seldom occur among our homeless.

The immune system can be brought back to full strength much quicker if proper steps are taken, but resistance is certainly an issue.

The immune system damage is mostly caused by elimination of useful bacteria, and these can be replenished by eating live foods and/or taking a probiotic following your course of antibiotics.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
sounds (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 09:09:36 PM

The title change was a intended as a joke although I'd guess many folks vacationing at guantanamo bay wouldn't find it funny. As to they're a great discovery that has saved many lives but they're massively overused. Its almost impossible to find unbiased figures for the damage done by them but many well researched and credible reports claim westerners immune systems are only 10% as effective against infections compared to medical records from a century ago.
OP here, I'm posting this because it's likely someone is already plotting it.

The advantage of posting is that now it's out in the open. An out-in-the-open analysis of who would benefit will help save lives because the public is alerted beforehand and the perpetrators usually make mistakes. (An alert populace can find those mistakes.)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 09:01:39 PM

Usually in less than a week a normal person is fine from flu, just some fever, some symptoms, that's all.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2112

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:02:51 PM

Knock knock

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: