Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:30:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Threatened Over My Bitcoin Ad  (Read 6049 times)
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:22:32 PM

So...

I find out about bitcoins, and am naturally excited, seeing its potential. I invest in some, and decide one of the big things that is (for now) holding it back is a lack of ready liquidity. Lots of people are reluctant to invest, thinking they'll be "stuck" with them, and those who want them may not have ready access.

I place an ad on craigslist, offering to buy and/or sell, for a small fee.

Within hours I get this email:

> You do understand that the bitcoin program is in fact not legal in this state. There is a 2007 law that outlawed virtual currency in KY. It falls under the tax codes. It is punishable by 1-5years and a min fine of 50k. You will remove this ad. If you fail to do so your account will be turned over to kirs. I will email from other accounts asking for info to get your address unles your dumb enough to reply. The facebook account and ad have 24h to be closed.
>
> I hate tax dodgers like you..
>
> http://westky.craigslist.org/sys/2427861692.html
>
>
> Sent from my iPad 2

Now, obviously I'm not taking anything down. I'm just floored by the level of hostility some folks have toward bitcoins. I'm sure the Silk Road stories aren't helping any, but still... wow.  Shocked

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bazil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:25:23 PM

This should be interesting.  If the Kentucky revenue service does come after you run to the press.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
Anonymous

June 08, 2011, 05:27:13 PM

I hate tax dodgers like you..

Hahaha.
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:27:43 PM

unles your dumb enough

Oh, the irony.
tymothy

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:29:39 PM

Ask him to cite the law in question. Bet he can't or that the law doesn't apply to bitcoins.

Obviously buying and selling in bitcoins and not reporting gains to the IRS is tax evasion, but it's the "not reporting gains" portion that makes it illegal, not the bitcoins.

And who the hell reports income to the IRS on things they sell on craigslist anyways?
Anonymous

June 08, 2011, 05:32:07 PM

And who the hell reports income to the IRS on things they sell on craigslist anyways?
Said threatener. He's a government duck.
triforcelink

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:34:47 PM

> Sent from my iPad 2

I seriously LOLd

I imagined some guy sitting on his couch browsing craigslist with his iPad 2 looking out for any money laundering scams

westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:40:07 PM

This should be interesting.  If the Kentucky revenue service does come after you run to the press.

I don't see why they should. Virtual currencies are illegal? Really? So Paypal, Linden Dollars, eBay Bucks, etc. are all in danger of being kicked out the state? Possessing or trading them will result in jail time? And this from KENTUCKY'S legislature? Please. It's a dumb, poorly-thought-out law, even if it actually exists (and I'm not exactly finding it right off. Go figure.)

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Freakin

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:41:07 PM

Was he so kind as to share the actual statute that banned virtual currencies?  

More importantly, is this the sort of thing that a state can regulate?  Isn't banning virtual currencies a potential hindrance to interstate commerce?  

I heard recently that an actual town established its own currency and that was legal under federal law.
Bazil

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:06:11 PM

I don't see why they should. Virtual currencies are illegal? Really? So Paypal, Linden Dollars, eBay Bucks, etc. are all in danger of being kicked out the state? Possessing or trading them will result in jail time? And this from KENTUCKY'S legislature? Please. It's a dumb, poorly-thought-out law, even if it actually exists (and I'm not exactly finding it right off. Go figure.)

All the more reason to run to the press.  Not only do you get to highlight a dumb law if it exists (I doubt that it does), but you also give Bitcoin publicity.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:17:24 PM

Said threatener. He's a government duck.

for you, Atlas:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13344.0
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:21:03 PM

So...

I find out about bitcoins, and am naturally excited, seeing its potential. I invest in some, and decide one of the big things that is (for now) holding it back is a lack of ready liquidity. Lots of people are reluctant to invest, thinking they'll be "stuck" with them, and those who want them may not have ready access.

I place an ad on craigslist, offering to buy and/or sell, for a small fee.

Within hours I get this email:

> You do understand that the bitcoin program is in fact not legal in this state. There is a 2007 law that outlawed virtual currency in KY. It falls under the tax codes. It is punishable by 1-5years and a min fine of 50k. You will remove this ad. If you fail to do so your account will be turned over to kirs. I will email from other accounts asking for info to get your address unles your dumb enough to reply. The facebook account and ad have 24h to be closed.
>
> I hate tax dodgers like you..
>
> http://westky.craigslist.org/sys/2427861692.html
>
>
> Sent from my iPad 2

Now, obviously I'm not taking anything down. I'm just floored by the level of hostility some folks have toward bitcoins. I'm sure the Silk Road stories aren't helping any, but still... wow.  Shocked

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:29:32 PM

LOL @ sent from his iPad hahaha. What a tool.

Just tell him Bitcoin isn't a "currency," it's just math. I don't think math is yet illegal, save within the borders of DC. For you to be prosecuted, the state would then have to prove that Bitcoin was indeed a currency, and wouldn't that be fun?

westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:38:12 PM

LOL @ sent from his iPad hahaha. What a tool.

Just tell him Bitcoin isn't a "currency," it's just math. I don't think math is yet illegal, save within the borders of DC. For you to be prosecuted, the state would then have to prove that Bitcoin was indeed a currency, and wouldn't that be fun?

Frankly, I hadn't even planned on responding to him. It's pretty clear his/her mind is already made up.

tymothy

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:42:15 PM

Frankly, I hadn't even planned on responding to him. It's pretty clear his/her mind is already made up.
[/quote]

For the hilarity of all of us, I highly suggest you do respond.
Freakin

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:46:38 PM

Offer him 50 bitcoins for his ipad and see what he says
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:49:47 PM

Agreed. You shouldn't let people make uncontested claims like that anyway. At least ask him to cite the statute. Post it back here if he replies. I'm really curious to see if there's actually something like that on Kentucky's books.
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:59:43 PM

Agreed. You shouldn't let people make uncontested claims like that anyway. At least ask him to cite the statute. Post it back here if he replies. I'm really curious to see if there's actually something like that on Kentucky's books.

Hmm.

Sent the following:

Hi!

As I'm not in this to facilitate illegal activities, could you cite the statute illegalizing virtual currencies?

Much appreciated

I am a bit curious as to how he'll respond.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:06:10 PM

Offer him 50 bitcoins for his ipad and see what he says
Hahahaha, DO EEET!  Please!
niemivh

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:33:15 PM

Hopefully the community learns not to be me such cowards as we've all be conditioned to be since birth.

I'd like you to respond to him.  I would.

Ask him to go to the Cayman islands where Trillions are laundered yearly since he's such a Defender of Justice.

Oh yeah, don't forget to tell him to bring his crime-fighting iPad2.

Roll Eyes

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: