Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 03:33:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi Dice....  (Read 3768 times)
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 02:03:37 AM

It is pretty simple to me. I do not want to end up in court or jail.

What are you doing here then?

Nobody involved with innovation ever managed to stay out of court. Ever. Anywhere, anytime.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2013, 04:17:53 AM

It is pretty simple to me. I do not want to end up in court or jail.

Isn't that the irony?

The State, which usurps the ability to use violence and intimidation against all others within its given georgraphic area, makes a law which makes an otherwise harmless activity with no victim illegal. This causes dislocations in the economy because of individual human actions. The dislocations create market incentive for entrepreneurs to meet the needs of the market. The greater the dislocations the greater the profit.

With the State nudging its nose into every area of the economy it is only creating more and more dislocations. Creative entrepreneurs are going to be able to make a boatload of money meeting market needs.

For example, look at the problems the State has created, which led to the rise of AirBnB or Uber and is resulting in economic censorship like this in NYC or taxi commission in Chicago?

Now, take a system that makes it so the buyer and seller don't even have a record whereby they could locate the other as it would be hashed and encrypted. But there could still be rating systems and reputation along with dispute resolution via judge.me.

Previously, the market needed to go through banks to settle trade using fiat currency. Cash could only operate to a particular scale but was infeasible in larger amounts as the drug cartels have found out.

But now with Bitcoin being censorship-resistant it is the invisible glue the economy has needed to route around all the governmental economic censorship and maintain the ability to price and settle trade. And there is currently tons of economic censorship which has created huge dislocations and made tons of market opportunity for creative entrepreneurs who figure out ways to route around it. Those who figure out censorship-resistant ways to allow individuals to barter and trade will be rewarded handsomely like Satoshi Dice. And in the process, market needs are met and violence is decreased (with Silk Road there is no turf for dealers to defend and therefore no need for decapitations).

LTC555

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 01:01:58 AM

I'm truly flabbergasted by how much money this is making.

And it happened right under my nose as I watched on.

Which just goes to show: I have no friggin clue about how to make money on the internet.

Get crackin' and make your own satoshi dice variable or some other gambling game Cheesy
22bones

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 02:05:39 AM

Get crackin' and make your own satoshi dice variable or some other gambling game Cheesy

If only it were that simple.  Making the game is only the first step  Wink
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 02:29:44 AM

I would say it is almost impossible! At this moment SatoshiDICE holds almost full monopoly over Bitcoin gambling, so you must create something revolutionary to start competing against it!
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 04:03:52 AM

If only it were that simple.  Making the game is only the first step  Wink
There was a period near the beginning when SD had a stark interface and wasn't very nice looking. He fixed that and now I'd say it would be hard to make a clone that could pull users away from SD. It would have to be different and superior in some way that many users would prefer it.

Or I'm wrong. It just could be the same and better promotion could attract new Bitcoiners. If things go well in the future the current user base is < 0.1% the eventual. And 1% of new user adoption could be better than 50% of current market share. Same goes for eWallet services.

My original comment above was more related to identifying something new which people will want to use before it is successful. It's not nearly so hard to detect them after they're successful. My real failing is not being much of a businessman. Any true businessman wouldn't care about being original if being a copycat could make as much or more money, which would be like saying "I won't be a land developer" because it's been done before.

But I doubt SD is the Bitcoin "killer app". Or I hope there will be something better.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 11:51:05 AM

I would say it is almost impossible! At this moment SatoshiDICE holds almost full monopoly over Bitcoin gambling, so you must create something revolutionary to start competing against it!
It has an monopoly over dice games, not gambling as a whole.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: