Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:52:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Professor Explains Why Your Chances Of Winning "Powerball" Are Next To None!  (Read 1793 times)
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 06:22:47 PM

I deliberately posted this video in the gambling section because this Statistics professor gives nice insights how probability works and the concept remains the same weather it be lottery or a jackpot.The video might motivate you a little. Wink

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh35K0oY8B8E8X4Z0z
As others said something like this as an explanation was expected. But I am not sure that you all know fun fact: 'probability of conception'.
It seems that odds that you - are you are ultra mega hyper low. In fact the odds that you exist are basically ZERO.

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 08:37:56 PM

People have tried to deter others from buying lottery tickets for decades and it never worked. You can explain, but to most people all that matters is the thrill. You buy the ticket, dream about the money, feel the excitement... and then you don't win and life goes on.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
cazkooo
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 08:58:03 PM

People have tried to deter others from buying lottery tickets for decades and it never worked. You can explain, but to most people all that matters is the thrill. You buy the ticket, dream about the money, feel the excitement... and then you don't win and life goes on.

There is no reason on why to not buy a lottery tickets because with just small amounts of money you could get a life changing opportunity . This opportunity may or may not come to you but you will never know unless you try so it is much better to buy lottery tickets rather than sitting out using your money for hookers atleast
ifightformerkel
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 09:00:55 PM

You need no professor to see that win a lottery is very hard, but you CAN win when you play it.

But when you dont play then the chance is 0.

You dont must win the jackpot only,
the second class in our lottery is also a lot of money and the chances are a lot of bigger or the smaller classes,
so the chance to win your money back are not so low how you think.
DuddlyDoRight

Activity: 318
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2016, 11:46:00 PM

I'll point out another common misconception, math based: 1:292' doesn't mean there are 292' possible numbers. It means the combination of your numbers being picked are one 1 in every 292'.. You'll be surprised how often this happens even on big journalism and news sites..

Then, the amount of ticket sales dictates chances to win, is the second most common misconception. They draw from tumbling barrels..

The possible powerball numbers are in the trillions..

I have faith that one day this forum will get threads where people won't just repeat their previous posts or what others have already stated in the same thread. Also that people will stop acting like BTC is toy-money and start holding vendors accountable. Naive? Maybe.
Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 12:05:14 AM

May I point out you really don't need a professor to tell you your chances of winning the LOTTERY. Especially the POWERBALL.

You need no professor to see that win a lottery is very hard, but you CAN win when you play it.

the second class in our lottery is also a lot of money and the chances are a lot of bigger or the smaller classes,

They might be not as low as he says, but they are still significantly low. As in 0.00001%.
DuddlyDoRight

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2016, 12:09:14 AM

May I point out you really don't need a professor to tell you your chances of winning the LOTTERY. Especially the POWERBALL.

They might be not as low as he says, but they are still significantly low. As in 0.00001%.

Probability, combinations, and permutations are taught at age 12 in "dumb" countries. There is no second guessing here.

The odds for powerball are nCr * nCr.. Jackpot is exactly 0.000000003422 in probability

I have faith that one day this forum will get threads where people won't just repeat their previous posts or what others have already stated in the same thread. Also that people will stop acting like BTC is toy-money and start holding vendors accountable. Naive? Maybe.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7993

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 12:20:25 AM

I'll point out another common misconception, math based: 1:292' doesn't mean there are 292' possible numbers. It means the combination of your numbers being picked are one 1 in every 292'.. You'll be surprised how often this happens even on big journalism and news sites..

Then, the amount of ticket sales dictates chances to win, is the second most common misconception. They draw from tumbling barrels..

You lost me at "misconception".  What are you trying to say?  There are in fact C(69,5) X C(26,1) possible combinations.  If you have one ticket, the probability of winning the top prize is exactly 1/292201338 and the odds of winning top prize are 1:292201337

Why are you saying the possible powerball numbers are in the trillions?
DuddlyDoRight

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2016, 04:42:31 PM

You lost me at "misconception".  What are you trying to say?  There are in fact C(69,5) X C(26,1) possible combinations.  If you have one ticket, the probability of winning the top prize is exactly 1/292201338 and the odds of winning top prize are 1:292201337

That's the total combinations. Total permutation of combinations is in the trillions.

xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7993

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 05:07:32 PM

That's the total combinations. Total permutation of combinations is in the trillions.

For any given draw, only one combination is valid.  There can be only one permutation of that one combination.  You're just being a fuckoff aren't you?
DuddlyDoRight

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2016, 06:46:00 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2016, 07:02:53 PM by DuddlyDoRight

For any given draw, only one combination is valid.  There can be only one permutation of that one combination.  You're just being a fuckoff aren't you?

Kind of but the powerball number makes permutation matter since <5 non-powerball numbers have absolute shit prizes even by ghetto standards.. 4+0 with a 10x multiplier won't buy you a ten year old car with a blown motor and buys ghetto food for two-months tops(it's $1,000.00).

Just to give everyone a big picture perspective and since this will probably be the only serious odds discussion here for a long time. Here are the lotteries you'd play if you understand odds and the value of money. In CSV format just made using the most recent values from all existing games:

Code:
/*sorted type->best_small_prize_odds->best_big_prize_odds excludes >$1 scratch offs and <$1000000 big-name lotteries*/
type,name,ticket price,jackpot,odds,count,small prize,odds,count
scratchoff,mighty bucks,1,5000,760000,12,1,6.82,1337600
scratchoff,lucky 7s,1,7000,640000,18,1,7.14,1478400
scratchoff,2016,1,2016,744000,10,1,10,744000
scratchoff,gimme 5!,1,5000,696000,10,1,10.34,672800
scratchoff,pot of gold,1,4000,840000,8,1,10.34,649600
scratchoff,5000 fiesta,1,5000,900000,8,1,10.34,696000
scratchoff,$50 mayhem,10000,1480000,6,1,10.34,858400
scratchoff,5x the cash,1,10000,984000,10,1,10.71,918400
scratchoff,blackjack,1,4000,720000,10,1,11.11,648000
scratchoff,bronze 7s,1,5000,960000,8,1,11.11,691200
bigticket,megamillions,1,arbritrary,258890850,arbritrary,1,21,arbritrary
bigticket,powerball,2,arbritrary,292201338,arbritrary,4,38,arbritrary

"bigticket" is there really just for reference even though MegaMillions odds are only 3.07x that of best scratch-off at same ticket price.. I probably should have done odds for exponential/100%-profit payouts too for small-prize.

RussianRaibow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I AM A SCAMMER

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2016, 08:44:14 AM

I didn't need a professor to explain that.  It seems kind of obvious.

I AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMER
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 09:06:26 AM

It is also obvious that there is not good gambling systems which can guarantee your wins. And yet I keep seeing threads about how Martingale is 'the best' method almost everyday.
Apparently information like this is not obvious for some people and they need to be reminded how low is the probability of winning lotteries.
Joel_Jantsen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 09:50:27 AM

Okay bitcoinMarketStore,you should be responding to the scan accusation open against you for dumping the investors who invested in your Jewellery shop.For the topic : How obvious does it seem?Any calculations you have in mind? The article was just a logical explanation which involves maths and not myths.
DuddlyDoRight

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2016, 06:02:38 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2016, 06:20:45 PM by DuddlyDoRight

" invested in your Jewellery shop"

Anyone who does that over the internet for someone who has no material evidence or credibility deserves to be ripped off.. Why is it smart people with good ideas have trouble with funding but two-bit plans get showered in money by the masses? Isn't this just poetic justice?

On-Topic: Draw-number lotteries use simple combinatorics(one out of x possible combinations). The scratch off; which advertises attractive odds like 1:7 or 1:4.73 overall, actually trick people by not explaining that their printing procedure doesn't actually print a winner every 7 tickets.. If they did print every 7 tickets there would be a primitive science to winning scratch-off lotteries..

pinoycash

Activity: 1316
Merit: 514

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2016, 06:07:04 PM

lotto winnings is just a myth, did you know someone who won the jackpot? here at my place, it goes to the pockets of the chosen few

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌