Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:39:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: N00bie question  (Read 510 times)
Anne Curtis (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 12:16:23 PM

Hello, for example I send to someone some coins and its still unconfirmed, then I send some coins again but now to different address while the previous one is still unconfirmed. Will that affect the the first transaction?  What will happen to the both transaction? Thanks in advance for answers Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 12:19:26 PM

Hello, for example I send to someone some coins and its still unconfirmed, then I send some coins again but now to different address while the previous one is still unconfirmed. Will that affect the the first transaction?  What will happen to the both transaction? Thanks in advance for answers Smiley
Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you will have paid twice.
Both transactions will get confirmed after a while.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 12:23:54 PM

Hello, for example I send to someone some coins and its still unconfirmed, then I send some coins again but now to different address while the previous one is still unconfirmed. Will that affect the the first transaction?  What will happen to the both transaction? Thanks in advance for answers Smiley

It depends. When you spend bitcoin you spend inputs. Inputs are the coins you have received in the past. Lets make two example to make this clear. We assume no fees, because its easier.

#1 You have received 1 BTC in a single transaction (1 input) in the past.

You now send 0.5 to Bob with TX 1 and send 0.5 back to yourself as change. This is because you only have one input and it larger than what you want to send. The change will confirm when the TX 1 is confirmed. Its not separated. Many wallets will allow you to use unconfirmed change inputs, because they come from yourself and you should be able to trust yourself.

Now you send 0.4 to someone else and have to use the change from TX 1 for it, because you have nothing else left. This 2nd TX needs the 1st TX confirmed in the same or earlier block in order to get confirmed. It will also create change.

#2 You have received 1 BTC in two separate transactions (2 total inputs of 0.5 BTC each) in the past.

You send 0.5 to Bob, there is no change.

You later send 0.5 to Chloe, there is no change either.

Both TX are independent and can confirm in any order.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 12:24:22 PM

how much coin do you have in the first place.
here is the scenarios:
you have 2BTC send 1BTC to address A and after a while send 1BTC to address B both will be confirmed after a while (granted they have fee included)

but if you have 2BTC and send 2BTC to address A and decide to send 2BTC to address B that would require you to double spend your bitcoins (send some inputs twice) in that case one of the transactions would be confirmed and the other one would be rejected because it has already spent inputs.

Only Bitcoin
Anne Curtis (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 12:36:22 PM

Thanks for enlightening me guys  Kiss Locking this thread now
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: