Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:14:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoin Network Hashrate  (Read 924 times)
erik555 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 03:08:26 PM

Hey guys, I've been reading a lot about the new ASIC BitCoin mining technology, and have been doing a lot of speculation on how the BitCoin network hashrate might increase.
Every chip (from BFL atleast) has about a max 7.5GH/z hashrate... and ButterFly Labs (the company i ordered my ASIC miner from) is meant to be releasing 20k chips to their customers in the upcoming month.
There are also other companies producing these ASIC chips.... and I've been really curious to find out what the possible network hashrate might be by April 2013 (mainly because I want to know how much my ASIC miner will be making me Tongue)
With all my calculations i found that it might be somewhere around the 300TH/s mark... but I've heard some people think it might even reach over 800TH/s!
What are your thoughts on how the new ASICs are going to effect the network hashrate in the short term?

I even set up a bet on Bets of Bitcoin to make it more interesting Smiley http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1139

I personally think it will be just under 300TH/s by April 1st 2013 Tongue
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCAviator

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:15:50 PM

Well it is April 28th now, and it looks like the network strength around 80TH/s. (Source: http://bitcoin.sipa.be/ ) As you can see, the trend is sharply upwards.

I am actually very happy that the ASICs are coming online, that means the system will become more robust as well as more energy efficient. The stronger our network is, the more secure. So even if my BFL miner doesn't show up in time to be very profitable, I will still gladly plug it in and do my part to keep the network secure.
BTCAviator

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:22:03 PM

Did you factor in the gpu guys jumping over to litecoin? Hell I suspect some of the asic guys will start mining ltc because it's more proffitable too

Except, remember what ASIC stands for: Application Specific Integrated Circuit.

Translation: this device does one job and one job only - mining Bitcoins. I don't have enough technical knowledge to tell you if the Bitcoin ASIC can mine for LTC, but I highly doubt it.
BTCAviator

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:23:50 PM

Did you factor in the gpu guys jumping over to litecoin? Hell I suspect some of the asic guys will start mining ltc because it's more proffitable too

But yes, anyone who is GPU mining will probably leave and mine some AltCoin, such as LiteCoin. But their combined hashing power will be nothing compared to the tidal wave of ASIC coming.
Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:52:08 PM

When I look back at old posts it is clear people have always over estimated where we would be today. ASICs will take a while still to raise the network hashrate above the 300TH/s mark.

As long as BFL doesn't go into multi hundred chip per day shipping. Im not going to hold my breath for BFL to flood the market like they should have long ago. They have only shipped about 50Gh/s in ASICs so far this month, mostly to developers/shills.  Roll Eyes
pro-bitcoin

Activity: 64

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:01:22 PM

Hey guys, I've been reading a lot about the new ASIC BitCoin mining technology, and have been doing a lot of speculation on how the BitCoin network hashrate might increase.
Every chip (from BFL atleast) has about a max 7.5GH/z hashrate... and ButterFly Labs (the company i ordered my ASIC miner from) is meant to be releasing 20k chips to their customers in the upcoming month.
There are also other companies producing these ASIC chips.... and I've been really curious to find out what the possible network hashrate might be by April 2013 (mainly because I want to know how much my ASIC miner will be making me Tongue)
With all my calculations i found that it might be somewhere around the 300TH/s mark... but I've heard some people think it might even reach over 800TH/s!
What are your thoughts on how the new ASICs are going to effect the network hashrate in the short term?

I even set up a bet on Bets of Bitcoin to make it more interesting Smiley http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1139

I personally think it will be just under 300TH/s by April 1st 2013 Tongue

thoughts are complete voodoo, because no one knows when and hoe many avalon and BFL will ship.

BTC address: 1FVaqniSgLgDcTAzXm9jKcBphskWhiz6T1
rosatambo

Activity: 48

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:45:33 PM

We're up to 100 now.  BFL says they're shipping, so I see the hashrate jumping in leaps and bounds.  When I started looking into bitcoin opportunities, mining with asics seemed to be where it's at.  Then I started doing hashrate growth projections and suddenly it looked a lot less appealing. 
bonsai99

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:07:26 PM

We're up to 100 now.  BFL says they're shipping, so I see the hashrate jumping in leaps and bounds.
They are shipping only very very slowly
BTCoder

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:40:05 AM

We're up to 100 now.  BFL says they're shipping, so I see the hashrate jumping in leaps and bounds.
They are shipping only very very slowly

Super slowly! Like 1 a day..
mineral

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:43:48 AM

And ETA are  ... years?

BTC: 1BTGghTiiqz2mQCYP2AiSv5ec5kcvkaJXu
LTC: LfgarrrLJgkZMSUCeScgHatxyfQtiggN9Z
BTG: gTpTt8d9rSejXDm4QX5vrLtPkrXkpwbrDL
jamesgarfield

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:55:08 AM

When I look back at old posts it is clear people have always over estimated where we would be today. ASICs will take a while still to raise the network hashrate above the 300TH/s mark.

As long as BFL doesn't go into multi hundred chip per day shipping. Im not going to hold my breath for BFL to flood the market like they should have long ago. They have only shipped about 50Gh/s in ASICs so far this month, mostly to developers/shills.  Roll Eyes

Asics trulyare amazing.
BTCoder

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:55:23 AM

Except, remember what ASIC stands for: Application Specific Integrated Circuit.

Translation: this device does one job and one job only - mining Bitcoins. I don't have enough technical knowledge to tell you if the Bitcoin ASIC can mine for LTC, but I highly doubt it.
Do they really stand for that?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: