Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:08:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Play EVE Online if you want to prepare for a Bitcoin marketplace  (Read 908 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 12:00:43 AM

Now I want to point out normally I wouldn't recommend a game like EVE Online because the gameplay itself is absolute bollocks and the reasons on why it is would be enough for me to write an entire thesis on it and the games industry in general so just take my word for it. What is amazing about the game though is the marketplace it has, it is for the most part, completely unregulated and would give you a very good idea of what the Bitcoin market would actually look like in the next few years or so.

I'm sure some people here have already played it because I've seen EVE Online avatars etc. around but I'd just thought I'd tell people because I'm tired of reading about some very frankly stupid people who actually give money to shifty people that I wouldn't even consider taking money from because I wouldn't know where they got it. You don't even need to play EVE for that long either about ten minutes and I found myself understanding every possible scam and ponzi scheme out there with a little bit of research not only that the money you lose isn't real so while so the only think you'll have lost is a bit of in game currency though some people have commented on articles that the losses all felt quite real because of the amount of time they put into it.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Eve-Online-Economy-Suffers-700-billion-ISK-Scam-33737.shtml

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/28/eve-evolved-top-ten-ganks-scams-heists-and-events/

So, these are two very sound pieces of advice I can give you:

. Never play a game that is only about how much time you put in it like every MMORPG in existence

. Don't give away money to companies and people you aren't sure about! Do your research!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 12:12:51 AM

Yup, everything that has happened in the Bitcoin world happened first on EVE.

Their "Pirate" even put out a huge "Come at me Bro" bounty on himself... just before flying off in the most bad-ass "that's no moon" ship in the game.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 12:14:26 PM

I just thought I'd put it out there, like I said, getting sick of seeing daft people whining on this forum about losing their money because they were giving money to people that were obvious scammers, I'll bet a lot of these EVE Online scams look very familiar.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 02:37:47 PM

I just thought I'd put it out there, like I said, getting sick of seeing daft people whining on this forum about losing their money because they were giving money to people that were obvious scammers, I'll bet a lot of these EVE Online scams look very familiar.
Scams are everywhere, literally. Every corporation in the world is a scam. Every sales person is a scammer. Every relationship involves one person scamming another. Eve models an anonymous online economy closely resembling Bitcoin, but the key to avoiding scams is to get out and experience life.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 04:24:27 PM

Scams are everywhere, literally. Every corporation in the world is a scam. Every sales person is a scammer. Every relationship involves one person scamming another.

Wow, and I though I had a dim view of humanity.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 04:55:02 PM

Scams are everywhere, literally. Every corporation in the world is a scam. Every sales person is a scammer. Every relationship involves one person scamming another.

Wow, and I though I had a dim view of humanity.

He's probably an ex EVE player.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:27:09 PM

I totally quote Lethn, he is epic right!

Pretty much everything that happened in bitcoin was not new for me, since i already met it tons of times in EVE. The pirate ponzi? Oh lol, daily routine in EVE, everyone in EVE would instantly say "lol that pirate thing is definitely a scam"

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3015

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 06:29:30 PM

I'm a millionaire with lots of dollars.
You are a farmer with lots of bread.

I give you a dollar for a loaf of bread.

Everyone gets what they want, and is happy.  WHO IS SCAMMING WHO?   Huh

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 01:25:53 AM

Right. I was a farmer until you cornered the market on my crop and cut off my distribution. You were just being a good millionaire businessman looking out for your shareholders. I was forced to sell out into a contract with a corporate farm. I used to sell my wheat to a breadmaker with union workers making good living wages, but he was bought out by his partners when they sold to one of your subsidiary firms. Now he is an employee of a bakery that pays minimum wage and pays me half of what I used to get because they lobbied Congress to allow cheap wheat from overseas to be brought in without import taxes. You give me a dollar, what am I supposed to say, thank you or fuck you?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Third Way

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 01:29:45 AM

>lobbied Congress to allow cheap wheat from overseas to be brought in without import taxes.

There's your problem right there, government intervention of market forces.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 01:31:24 AM

Right. I was a farmer until you cornered the market on my crop and cut off my distribution. You were just being a good millionaire businessman looking out for your shareholders. I was forced to sell out into a contract with a corporate farm. I used to sell my wheat to a breadmaker with union workers making good living wages, but he was bought out by his partners when they sold to one of your subsidiary firms. Now he is an employee of a bakery that pays minimum wage and pays me half of what I used to get because they lobbied Congress to allow cheap wheat from overseas to be brought in without import taxes. You give me a dollar, what am I supposed to say, thank you or fuck you?

Boy, you just drank the whole pitcher, didn't you?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 01:32:01 AM

>lobbied Congress to allow cheap wheat from overseas to be brought in without import taxes.

There's your problem right there, government intervention of market forces.
Actually, it's government reversing its intervention of market forces. Quite the opposite.

Third Way

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 02:31:52 AM

Correct, my autism bids an apology to all.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: