Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:32:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Islam a religion of Peace?  (Read 10269 times)
Spendulus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 06:27:25 PM

If you look at every religion there is social unrest somewhere along the lines but overall there is peace in all religions, Islam is just one which happens to be in the limelight right now.
One more time.

No, there is not "peace in all religions."

If so then a religion that required human sacrifice or cannibalism would be a religion of peace.

It's more like no religion is a religion of peace....

Cause cannibalism is also in the Bible and the Torah as it's in the old testament. Not sure for the human sacrifice though ^^

What's actually happened is that we've exterminated all the truly violent and horrible religions, such as those that engaged in human sacrifice.  But then it can't be said that "religion is peace."  Because we are exterminators. 
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mainpmf

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 06:55:19 PM

What's actually happened is that we've exterminated all the truly violent and horrible religions, such as those that engaged in human sacrifice.  But then it can't be said that "religion is peace."  Because we are exterminators. 

Well it's not because the religions no longer do human sacrifices that it's not written somewhere in their sacred texts ^^

████████████████████████████
████████▄▄████████▄▄████████
█████▄███▀▀██████▀▀███▄█████
██████▀███▄█▄██▄▄████▀██████
████████████████▄▄████████
████▄▄███████████████▄████
████▄████████████████▀████
████████▀▀▀████▀█▀█████████
██████▄██████████████▄██████
█████▀███▄▄██████▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀████████▀▀████████
Truckcoin

For The Fastest Decentralized Global Market
▬▬     ANN Thread     WhitePaper     Twitter     Facebook     Google+     ▬▬

adverbelly

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 05:12:32 PM

I find the most retarded reason to kill someone is for religion. I believe those people are specially retarded today.

And ironically most of the deaths have been caused by religion since the beginning of time.

Yes but today science has evolved as much, natural things like thunderstorm, solar and lunar eclipse and all of those things could be explained by science, so today to kill someone for religion is stupid. You can't compare humanity of today with the humanity of a couple hundred plus years ago...

not killing for the sake of religion is stupid.. all the things related to religion is stupid.. science can explain past so-called miracles..
CreativeCarol

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 09:18:17 PM

It usually if you truly believe it. Some people don't find Christianity to harvest that kind of quality. Same goes for being agnostic or atheist. It all depends on how the beholder sees it.
Spendulus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 02:39:51 AM

It usually if you truly believe it. Some people don't find Christianity to harvest that kind of quality. Same goes for being agnostic or atheist. It all depends on how the beholder sees it.
Nope.

Does not matter how the beholder sees this matter.

Mohammed did not split the moon apart.
adverbelly

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 07:05:37 PM

I think it is.. I'm sure it is. Every religion ought to be. Every God ideation ought to be peaceful. Perhaps it's how other Muslims live it out or the way other people sees Islam that makes the picture of peace in Islam obscured.

i dont think so.. every religion is a composed of brutal ideas over killing one another...
Spendulus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 07:34:52 PM

I think it is.. I'm sure it is. Every religion ought to be. Every God ideation ought to be peaceful. Perhaps it's how other Muslims live it out or the way other people sees Islam that makes the picture of peace in Islam obscured.

i dont think so.. every religion is a composed of brutal ideas over killing one another...

Some more than others.  But there is no basis for believing or claiming that all religions are equally peaceful.  That's crazy talk.

Offhand if I was to rank some relgions as most peaceful to most violent....

buddist
hindu
christian
muslim

youdamushi

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 08:07:59 PM

Some more than others.  But there is no basis for believing or claiming that all religions are equally peaceful.  That's crazy talk.

buddist
hindu
christian
muslim

Why Christians over Muslims? And Hindu is clearly not much better...

And sorry but buddist is not a religion at all! It's a way of life nothing more!

PARADICE.io

popovicbit

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 11:34:23 PM

Bernard Lewis presents some of his conclusions about Islamic culture, Shari'a law, jihad, and the modern day phenomenon of terrorism in his text, Islam: The Religion and the People.[40] He writes of jihad as a distinct "religious obligation", but suggests that "it is a pity" that people engaging in terrorist activities are not more aware of their own religion:

Muslim fighters are commanded not to kill women, children, or the aged unless they attack first; not to torture or otherwise ill-treat prisoners; to give fair warning of the opening of hostilities or their resumption after a truce; and to honor agreements. ... At no time did the classical jurists offer any approval or legitimacy to what we nowadays call terrorism. Nor indeed is there any evidence of the use of terrorism as it is practiced nowadays."[41]

In Lewis' view, the "by now widespread terrorism practice of suicide bombing is a development of the 20th century" with "no antecedents in Islamic history, and no justification in terms of Islamic theology, law, or tradition."[42] He further comments that "the fanatical warrior offering his victims the choice of the Koran or the sword is not only untrue, it is impossible" and that "generally speaking, Muslim tolerance of unbelievers was far better than anything available in Christendom, until the rise of secularism in the 17th century."[43]

-From Wikipedia

By the way..Bernad Lewis is a British-American orientalist who is considered one of the West's leading experts.

Spendulus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 12:33:53 AM

Bernard Lewis presents some of his conclusions about Islamic culture, Shari'a law, jihad, and the modern day phenomenon of terrorism in his text, Islam: The Religion and the People.[40] He writes of jihad as a distinct "religious obligation", but suggests that "it is a pity" that people engaging in terrorist activities are not more aware of their own religion:

Muslim fighters are commanded not to kill women, children, or the aged unless they attack first; not to torture or otherwise ill-treat prisoners; to give fair warning of the opening of hostilities or their resumption after a truce; and to honor agreements. ... At no time did the classical jurists offer any approval or legitimacy to what we nowadays call terrorism. Nor indeed is there any evidence of the use of terrorism as it is practiced nowadays."[41]

In Lewis' view, the "by now widespread terrorism practice of suicide bombing is a development of the 20th century" with "no antecedents in Islamic history, and no justification in terms of Islamic theology, law, or tradition."[42] He further comments that "the fanatical warrior offering his victims the choice of the Koran or the sword is not only untrue, it is impossible" and that "generally speaking, Muslim tolerance of unbelievers was far better than anything available in Christendom, until the rise of secularism in the 17th century."[43]

-From Wikipedia

By the way..Bernad Lewis is a British-American orientalist who is considered one of the West's leading experts.

However, with the emergence of Sayyad Qutb and the Muslim Brotherhood in the 1950s, violent jihad does have an Islamic justification, if only in the ancilary 30 pamplets of Qutb.  They certainly do convince some that these are permitted or required by Islam.

Shrugging Jihad off like Lewis did is neither logical or practical.

I am reminded of kids who trend on entirely new styles of music, complete cultures, for years with their parents knowing nothing.  Finally the parents become aware of a thing, perhaps only a word, that describes the sub culture.
mainpmf

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 12:58:38 AM

buddist
hindu
christian
muslim

Why Christians over Muslims? And Hindu is clearly not much better...

And sorry but buddist is not a religion at all! It's a way of life nothing more!

technically they are not a theistic religion, but they also believe in some batshit crazy stuff like reincarnation, super powers etc.  So they are similar to other religions.

But if you go by the number of people killed in the name of their religion, I think the order is correct.

No the order is not correct. Christianity killed something like 15 millions persons while Islam is responsible for 2 millions Wink
https://www.quora.com/Which-religion-is-responsible-for-the-greatest-number-of-deaths-of-infidels-over-its-entire-history

Truckcoin

bonski

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 02:06:53 AM

No offense to muslims here. If Islam is a religion of peace then why middle east is a well-known Islam region in the world. Then why there is always war between them? Brothers against brothers of them then separating of their religion with the government, if they want peace then they must be pro-government
mrflibblehat

Activity: 350

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 03:01:57 AM

No offense to muslims here. If Islam is a religion of peace then why middle east is a well-known Islam region in the world. Then why there is always war between them? Brothers against brothers of them then separating of their religion with the government, if they want peace then they must be pro-government

That's a very good question. Also no offense.

Moloch

Activity: 798
Merit: 722

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 03:14:05 AM

What choice do they have?

If you lived in Syria... How would you fix the government?

If America was in chaos... Could/would you do anything about it?

I don't think it has anything to do with religion, though you could argue that since America is a secular government, and does not allow religious laws...
mrflibblehat

Activity: 350

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 03:19:09 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with religion, though you could argue that since America is a secular government, and do not allow religious laws...

It's true that people have no choice. But also they are indoctrinated so when they do escape they keep that mentality.

mainpmf

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 12:36:41 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with religion, though you could argue that since America is a secular government, and do not allow religious laws...

It's true that people have no choice. But also they are indoctrinated so when they do escape they keep that mentality.

Cause you don't feel indoctrinated?

Truckcoin

ekoice

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 01:31:50 PM

In my opinion, all religions are religions of peace.....

Prove it.  Some religions actually are religions of peace, such as the Christian Quaker sect.  Others are not the same.

It is a logical error to claim they are the same, is it not?  And we know that different sects of Islam teach wildly different behavior.  Again, they are not the same.

Here is my proof:
http://www.worldprayerfoundation.com/resources/World%20Scriptures.pdf
Read it and you will understand my opinion that all religions are religions of peace.

I am descended from practitioners of a religion that does not exist today, but those practitioners engaged in human sacrifice.  Therefore you are wrong. 

Perhaps what you mean to say is that "The religions left existing today, after we exterminated the other ones, all profess to be peaceful religions?"

But that is in itself an admission of religions being violent.

This may be of interest -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_violence

In my opinion, all religions are religions of peace.....

Prove it.  Some religions actually are religions of peace, such as the Christian Quaker sect.  Others are not the same.

It is a logical error to claim they are the same, is it not?  And we know that different sects of Islam teach wildly different behavior.  Again, they are not the same.

Here is my proof:
http://www.worldprayerfoundation.com/resources/World%20Scriptures.pdf
Read it and you will understand my opinion that all religions are religions of peace.

I am descended from practitioners of a religion that does not exist today, but those practitioners engaged in human sacrifice.  Therefore you are wrong. 

Perhaps what you mean to say is that "The religions left existing today, after we exterminated the other ones, all profess to be peaceful religions?"

But that is in itself an admission of religions being violent.

This may be of interest -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_violence

My Arabic speaking friend told me that world Islam itself means "PEACE". and besides this I myself believe that all religions guide and emphasize on PEACE and it is Human beings who change religions some times for their self benefits which makes others think negative about certain religions.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16496

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 06:17:06 PM

My Arabic speaking friend told me that world Islam itself means "PEACE"
http://muslimvoices.org/word-islam-meaning/ says: "In Arabic, the word “Islam” means submission or surrender " and "a Muslim surrenders his or her will to Allah in return for peace".

So it may give peace to muslims after giving up on free will, but what about the rest of the world who doesn't believe it?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 06:35:50 PM

In the middle ages, everyone were frequently involved in warfare and looting. Even the majority Christian, Hindu, and Buddhist nations were constantly involved in warfare against each other. But the difference is that, as the industrial revolution kicked in, these countries became more and more pacifist. Their war-monger character was replaced by a more pacifist thinking. This transformation never occurred in the Muslim world.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 09:41:52 PM

In the middle ages, everyone were frequently involved in warfare and looting. Even the majority Christian, Hindu, and Buddhist nations were constantly involved in warfare against each other. But the difference is that, as the industrial revolution kicked in, these countries became more and more pacifist. Their war-monger character was replaced by a more pacifist thinking. This transformation never occurred in the Muslim world.

WW1, WW2, cold war with all their proxy wars.
I think in the last century more people then ever died since human history in the same timeframe.

And that was pretty much caused alone by western countries.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌