Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:01:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need expert opinion on a GPU  (Read 1278 times)
Shintax (OP)

Activity: 120
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 04:17:24 AM

Energy efficiency is not much a priority as ive just had solar panels installed a few months ago. Im mostly concerned with keeping the rig going as long as possible (hopefully years), stable hash rates (not OCd), and keeping the system cool during the summer months down in SoCal. I would like to get about 3000khs, maybe even 3400khs without OCing if possible, so expecting to have at least 3 GPUs purchased and operating by spring. Should have 1 purchased at the same time as the desktop though, gotta learn how to run it.

But of course, I am going off of speculation that LTC will rise in value. But I have read things around this and other forums about not investing in LTC at all and dumping that $ into ASIC. But I've also heard the opposite as well. At any rate I would just like to start mining, just so that I have coins, and if I knew for sure ASIC would be released by the end of jan. Then I would hold my $, but that is not the case.

▀  ███       LEDGER  WALLET   PROTECT  YOUR  BITCOINS
▀  ▀▀▀       Smartcard security for your bitcoins        Decentralized,Open,Secure         Available now  []
▀  ▀  ▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flatronw

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 05:59:55 AM

Be aware that Gigabyte M/Bs can be a PITA to boot from a USB Stick.

I was unaware of this! Any known/suspected reason for this?

It is well documented, but if you dont know about it you can be running around in circles trying to figure out WTF is wrong. Seems to be something about DOS and FAT formats. There was a post by someone associated with the BAMT site about using two USB sticks as a work around. First stick loaded something, when that finished, the second stick loaded BAMT. The FAQ on BAMT shows compatible hardware and lists some Gigabyte boards as Not Compatible.
I never pursued it, I simply sold the two Gigabyte M/Bs that had caused me massive angst and bought two MSI M/Bs and that was the end of the problems with USB boot and getting PCIe slots recognised and working.
Only only the Gigabyte Company could tell you why they would set up something as Fxxcked Up as that.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 06:18:51 AM

Be aware that Gigabyte M/Bs can be a PITA to boot from a USB Stick.

I was unaware of this! Any known/suspected reason for this?

It is well documented, but if you dont know about it you can be running around in circles trying to figure out WTF is wrong. Seems to be something about DOS and FAT formats. There was a post by someone associated with the BAMT site about using two USB sticks as a work around. First stick loaded something, when that finished, the second stick loaded BAMT. The FAQ on BAMT shows compatible hardware and lists some Gigabyte boards as Not Compatible.
I never pursued it, I simply sold the two Gigabyte M/Bs that had caused me massive angst and bought two MSI M/Bs and that was the end of the problems with USB boot and getting PCIe slots recognised and working.
Only only the Gigabyte Company could tell you why they would set up something as Fxxcked Up as that.

That certainly is eff'ed up. I figured it had something to do with the BIOS, or boot device settings. I only run Gigabyte mobos, and now that you say it, I tried to run a linux bootable usb stick to secure erase my SSD, and had serious troubles, so I just put it on a bootable DVD and it ran with no problem.

BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 04:34:53 PM

5970's are the most energy efficient GPU's for mining.  I can refer you to some people who'd sell these and/or some 5xxx series and 6xxx if you want.

P.S. BAMT (Big A Miner Thing) is a good usb sized OS for mining.

Uhh, 7970 > 5970 for power efficiency

7970 pushes 650mh/s @ 200w on average
5970 pushes 750mh/s @ 275w on average

not rocket science to determine energy efficiency here.

5970's used to be the most efficient GPU, I hadn't looked at the new 7xxx series.  Thanks for the correction.

Edit: Looks like the 7750 is the most energy efficient GPU according to the website. NOT the 7970.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: