Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:56:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many bitcoins can you mine with a typical computer?  (Read 19935 times)
yellowcat1771 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 10:09:27 AM

Hello everyone how many bitcoins do you think you could mine if you joined a pool on just a normal computer let's just say the computers price range was $300-$500
I know it ways on allot of variables like what pool and the computers components but i am only asking for a typical guestimate Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:29:03 AM

Dust or nothing. Well, for a computer that is between $300 - $500 (assuming USD), you dont stand a chance of mining anything. Joining a valid pool might give you some satoshi but when compared to the cost of electricity and the price of the computer, you are not making a profit. I'd suggest you to buy a mining hardware between $300 - $500 instead, it could bring you some profit. If you really want to mind using computer - because you dont like mining hardware or whatsoever - you can try mining Altcoin. One tip, there is some profit-switching altcoin mining pool. Smiley.

Have fun mining (if you really intended to)! Smiley.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:30:07 AM

Nearly none, even the days of GPU mining are gone. Think of it as burning down your computer bit by bit, if you even try it. Only ones that are profitable are mining specific hardware such as S X series, Antminer series, and even a small profitability is not guaranteed unless you have very ow or free electricity , cooling and or place to keep the hardware, and lastly the amount of miners you have.

tl;dr , any attempt at mining at the moment is useless.
mainpmf

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:30:45 AM

Dust or nothing. Well, for a computer that is between $300 - $500 (assuming USD), you dont stand a chance of mining anything. Joining a valid pool might give you some satoshi but when compared to the cost of electricity and the price of the computer, you are not making a profit. I'd suggest you to buy a mining hardware between $300 - $500 instead, it could bring you some profit. If you really want to mind using computer - because you dont like mining hardware or whatsoever - you can try mining Altcoin. One tip, there is some profit-switching altcoin mining pool. Smiley.

Have fun mining (if you really intended to)! Smiley.

I did it last year with a really good pc just for trying. I think I got an average of a few thousands satoshi everyday, so it's really dust of nothing xD

████████████████████████████
████████▄▄████████▄▄████████
█████▄███▀▀██████▀▀███▄█████
██████▀███▄█▄██▄▄████▀██████
████████████████▄▄████████
████▄▄███████████████▄████
████▄████████████████▀████
████████▀▀▀████▀█▀█████████
██████▄██████████████▄██████
█████▀███▄▄██████▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀████████▀▀████████
Truckcoin

For The Fastest Decentralized Global Market
▬▬     ANN Thread     WhitePaper     Twitter     Facebook     Google+     ▬▬

gregyoung14

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:36:43 AM

I did it last year with a really good pc just for trying. I think I got an average of a few thousands satoshi everyday, so it's really dust of nothing xD
[/quote]

Wow! This is really something. Just that? A thousand satoshis. Was tempted to work out this my own. Anyway, thanks for the note.
Brob12321

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:38:44 AM

You will likely never find a block especially if you are on a laptop or something, the chances probably a bit less than winning the Powerball.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:19:58 AM

You've been here a month and haven't bothered to read about dedicated miners?  Click on Mining, then Mining Hardware and read one of Dogie's threads Tongue

TO answer you Q, you get essentially nothing from a PC/Mac at present.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:39:05 AM

if you have a good gpu you can point at ethereum, and have more profit than an asic mining bitcoin, but this is for altcoin section

which is located here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=160.0
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:05:57 AM

Don't bother trying to mine Bitcoin with anything but an ASIC. "Normal" computers have been outdated for Bitcoin mining for years, you'll just spend money on electric for pretty close to ZERO bitcoins mined.
 You'll barely even manage to mine dust.

Scrypt is almost as bad, the last 2+ years.

non-SHA256 non-Scrypt coins can be profitable with some computer setups, depending on the cost of your electric, but RoI is still iffy due to low returns.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:21:43 AM

Don't even think that you can mine using computers these days, at least not Bitcoins...
You will end up making only a few satoshis, that too if you are lucky and get some shares based on the power you will provide through your mining...
Price of computer doesn't matter at all as they are no more efficient in mining BTC anymore...

Raimonn
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 12:26:45 PM

Hello everyone how many bitcoins do you think you could mine if you joined a pool on just a normal computer let's just say the computers price range was $300-$500
I know it ways on allot of variables like what pool and the computers components but i am only asking for a typical guestimate Smiley

Minning with a cheap computer isn't a good think, you can broke your computer. For mining there are the Asics, that are designed to do this computational work. But if you want to try it, i think that you will receive from nothing to few satoshis or if you have more luck few bits. Also you will waste more electricity than money you will receive from your work.
mainpmf

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 03:03:50 PM

if you have a good gpu you can point at ethereum, and have more profit than an asic mining bitcoin, but this is for altcoin section

which is located here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=160.0

You're serious? Oo

Well gotta check that. Thanks for the link.

████████▄▄████████▄▄████████
█████▄███▀▀██████▀▀███▄█████
██████▀███▄█▄██▄▄████▀██████
████████████████▄▄████████
████▄▄███████████████▄████
████▄████████████████▀████
████████▀▀▀████▀█▀█████████
██████▄██████████████▄██████
█████▀███▄▄██████▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀████████▀▀████████
Truckcoin

For The Fastest Decentralized Global Market
▬▬     ANN Thread     WhitePaper     Twitter     Facebook     Google+     ▬▬

virtualdn
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1093

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 05:44:19 PM

Those days are long gone. I regret myself a lot for not mining in the first days of BTC.. but I haven't done it because I had no idea it even exists! Cheesy

1 BTC = 1 BTC
winspiral
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026

Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 05:53:51 PM

With my U2 I mine 200  up 500 satoshi per day...
with computer you should mine mine 20 to 50 per day...

Greenenergy

Activity: 441

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 06:02:30 PM

I'd say that you could mine some dust that would range from 1 satoshi to 100 satoshis per day. Obviously, the electricity cost would be a lot higher than this Wink !
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 08:51:54 PM

If he goes for a usb stick miner go with gekkoscience compac.  It's about same or less then ebay U2's and you can order direct from Sidehack.  And instead of 2 GH you will get 8 pretty easy.  If you have good hub and y cable you are talking about 16 GH+.   

And be away usb sticks are more for fun/lotto mining.  So ROI is unlikely.   But if you go that route for sure get the compac.  As far as regular computers mining GPU/CPU on btc those day's are dead.
winspiral
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 09:07:35 PM

If he goes for a usb stick miner go with gekkoscience compac.  It's about same or less then ebay U2's and you can order direct from Sidehack.  And instead of 2 GH you will get 8 pretty easy.  If you have good hub and y cable you are talking about 16 GH+.   

And be away usb sticks are more for fun/lotto mining.  So ROI is unlikely.   But if you go that route for sure get the compac.  As far as regular computers mining GPU/CPU on btc those day's are dead.

I have bought it expensive...just for the fun...
I was not interested in a risky seconde hand.
Now i get it...I keep it.

if someone is interested to comine with me...i will sent him the satoshi back

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 09:14:28 PM

Not sure what you mean.  The one I recommended was going with the Compac right now, best usb stick for the money.   You can order direct from sidehack.

If your talking about U2's there is a reason you cant get direct anymore... they are obsolete unless using for learning.  Most lotto miners it makes more sense sell U2's and buy Compacs 2 GH vs possibly 16+ GH is just a huge difference in speed.
winspiral
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2016, 08:54:58 AM

Not sure what you mean.  The one I recommended was going with the Compac right now, best usb stick for the money.   You can order direct from sidehack.

If your talking about U2's there is a reason you cant get direct anymore... they are obsolete unless using for learning.  Most lotto miners it makes more sense sell U2's and buy Compacs 2 GH vs possibly 16+ GH is just a huge difference in speed.

you are right...
but If I sell it because it is obselete...why should someone buy it if it is obselete? (lol)
And so far i'm not interested in an other usb stick.

devil11

Activity: 398

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 08:57:40 AM

Not so much but about (0.0000004)BTC per year!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: