Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:47:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selloff!  (Read 9402 times)
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:52:22 PM

The "wealthiest" account on Bitcoin holds 297,000 bitcoins... At a $30 valuation it is worth $8.9 million! Is it safe to assume that it belongs to the creator of Bitcoin? Quite a smart guy I must say. His/her wealth may even be spread across many accounts... It's quite disturbing that one person holds at least 5% of Bitcoins wealth.

Could a small sell-off from such a wealthy individual cause this much volatility?

Instantaneous sell off cant occur since MtGox has a exchange limit of $1000 USD. But yes if he were to transfer in $1000 worth of Bitcoins a day until all of it was in MtGox and he sold off of them it would affect the market but I doubt at that rate not substantial enough to cause a huge crash but definitely loss of value for a little while. It's not very disturbing that 1 person owns 5% of all Bitcoins wealth. In the US the top 10% own 80% of US wealth and the balanced in developing countries like China are even more lopsided. It's just capitalism at work.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mafioso

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:59:34 PM

The "wealthiest" account on Bitcoin holds 297,000 bitcoins... At a $30 valuation it is worth $8.9 million! Is it safe to assume that it belongs to the creator of Bitcoin? Quite a smart guy I must say. His/her wealth may even be spread across many accounts... It's quite disturbing that one person holds at least 5% of Bitcoins wealth.

Could a small sell-off from such a wealthy individual cause this much volatility?

Instantaneous sell off cant occur since MtGox has a exchange limit of $1000 USD. But yes if he were to transfer in $1000 worth of Bitcoins a day until all of it was in MtGox and he sold off of them it would affect the market but I doubt at that rate not substantial enough to cause a huge crash but definitely loss of value for a little while. It's not very disturbing that 1 person owns 5% of all Bitcoins wealth. In the US the top 10% own 80% of US wealth and the balanced in developing countries like China are even more lopsided. It's just capitalism at work.

Good point. It would nevertheless be interesting to know who this person is... Although the whole concept of Bitcoin goes against that Smiley

It is my understanding that the MtGox exchange limit of $1000 is due to US restrictions - why aren't there alternative markets maintained outside the US that could lift this limit? If none exist today I'm guessing this will supported very soon.
Freakin

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:06:42 PM

Last I heard Satoshi was rumored to have 1.5M bitcoins, not 300k. 
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:07:54 PM

That 297k is just a single address.  It's not a wallet or an account.  A wallet or account holds many many of these addresses, so what you see on that list is hardly indicative of how many bitcoins the person(s) with the most coins actually own.
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 10:16:16 PM

Have you guys seen the spread over at http://www.tradehill.com  ?

$20 to $28 right now. Lots of room to be a market maker there.

They are just getting started, but from a features and fees standpoint, they will give MtGox a run for their money.

You can get a 10% discount on all fees forever if you sign up using this code: TH-R1168

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:25:23 PM

Have you guys seen the spread over at http://www.tradehill.com  ?

$20 to $28 right now. Lots of room to be a market maker there.

They are just getting started, but from a features and fees standpoint, they will give MtGox a run for their money.

You can get a 10% discount on all fees forever if you sign up using this code: TH-R1168
Or, if you like me better, use this code:  TH-R1283

Wink
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 10:38:27 PM

Can someone explain me why the major trading sites have absolutely crappy deposit options? No Moneybookers, Neteller, Visa, Mastercard, usually not even Paypal?

That's something they really need to improve on in my opinion.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Freakin

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:42:51 PM

paypal, visa & mastercard are all much too easy to charge back
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:51:41 PM

Can someone explain me why the major trading sites have absolutely crappy deposit options? No Moneybookers, Neteller, Visa, Mastercard, usually not even Paypal?

That's something they really need to improve on in my opinion.

They are easily reversible by the buyer, which is no good. Too much fraud

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Scientician! (OP)

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:56:36 PM

Good point. It would nevertheless be interesting to know who this person is... Although the whole concept of Bitcoin goes against that Smiley

It is my understanding that the MtGox exchange limit of $1000 is due to US restrictions - why aren't there alternative markets maintained outside the US that could lift this limit? If none exist today I'm guessing this will supported very soon.

Wasn't there a thread about KnightMB and his 361K BTC? Was that figure from a single address?

In any event, the true Early Adopters would have been foolish to hold on to all of them at $30. We may be seeing the effects of a limited scope cash-out by a few dozen large account holders. Ultimately, its very very good for the future stability of BTC for the EAs to sell off a significant percentage of their holdings, anyway, and once again, a cool-off would convince a large bloc of investors like, *ahem*, ME, to get some capital into the market.

Also, IIRC, you can circumvent the $1k daily limit at mtgox by furnishing ID for verification, although why people wouldn't simply set up x checking accounts to link to x Dwolla accounts to link to x MtGox accts.....

And with BTC showing a period low of 20.19 and currently at 25.70  - I'd say my initial claim was right, this is a clear Selloff/correctional phase. If I could short BTC-USD on my 4X acct, I'd have made an absolute killing today. Dirty math on the pips of today's drop is insane.

ocharry

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:41:25 PM

Wasn't there a thread about KnightMB and his 361K BTC? Was that figure from a single address?

In any event, the true Early Adopters would have been foolish to hold on to all of them at $30. We may be seeing the effects of a limited scope cash-out by a few dozen large account holders. Ultimately, its very very good for the future stability of BTC for the EAs to sell off a significant percentage of their holdings, anyway, and once again, a cool-off would convince a large bloc of investors like, *ahem*, ME, to get some capital into the market.

Also, IIRC, you can circumvent the $1k daily limit at mtgox by furnishing ID for verification, although why people wouldn't simply set up x checking accounts to link to x Dwolla accounts to link to x MtGox accts.....

And with BTC showing a period low of 20.19 and currently at 25.70  - I'd say my initial claim was right, this is a clear Selloff/correctional phase. If I could short BTC-USD on my 4X acct, I'd have made an absolute killing today. Dirty math on the pips of today's drop is insane.

Nope it's back up to almost 30. The Dwolla funds are coming in I think.
Scientician! (OP)

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:46:55 PM

Yeah, there was a bit of a selloff today, but that is clearly over.. Whatever excess inventory was being dumped at 30+ this morning (PST) has impacted price and demand has already recovered... Damn I need my Dwolla account to hurry up and link already.. I hope for my own selfish sake that $30 doesn't look like a steal in 5 business days.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:59:18 PM

Maybe, more likely has to do with the fact it went from  about $1.50 to $31.90 in a little over 1 month.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:02:06 AM

Maybe, more likely has to do with the fact it went from  about $1.50 to $31.90 in a little over 1 month.
Lol, this.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:55:09 AM

Lol, this.

Sometimes the truth is funny  Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: