Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 10:26:49 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Relaunched Completely  (Read 11492 times)
Maicol792
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 08:06:45 AM

Update: we will publish the modified python programming language very soon (today or tomorrow).
We will still need a few days to weeks until all programming examples and the full documentation is ready.

Perfect, can you please give us an "test-miner" so we can actually USE this programming language to experiment with custom make proof of work functions and actually TEST how they would get "mined"? Just to get a feeling for it?

We will do that, of course.
We are finishing the last tests by the way. Expect the publication anytime soon.

Thanks we are ElasticMiner Smiley
Videodrome

Activity: 588
Merit: 503

Free Julian Assange

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 02:22:56 PM

following!  Grin
CB_project

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 04:08:15 PM

escrow - no more trust
andrepierre

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 04:20:17 PM

escrow - no more trust

What are you talking about, let me give you an example. SebastianJu run many escrows, including StepsCoin!

There were many ico's that did not even delivered a wallet, with Sebastian he made sure there is a working wallet and all coins distributed before btc released.

Surely that is enough security. Dev if you interested in using Sebastian please send me a pm and I will forward the detail to you.
Dazza

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 08:55:56 PM

I've read the white paper.  My conclusion:  Dev is not competent to design a cryptocurrancy.  There are so many ways to attack this thing, some of which are trivial to fix, others are harder.  For example, as the white paper notes, the results of user supplied programs as typically skewed, with some output values, or combination of output values, much more likely than others.  He proposes to find SHA256(Inputs,Outputs,PK) < r for some adjustable r.

The limiting case is when the outputs are the same irrespective of inputs.  In this case the computation is SHA256(Inputs,Constant,PK) and the attacker doesn't need to run the program at all.  So much for your "proof of work"!

Even if the outputs are not constant suppose there is a particular value or values of Outputs which are produced relatively often.  Call this value (or these values) C (or C1, C2, C3,...)  An attacker could compute SHA256(Inputs,C,PK) or SHA256(Inputs,C1,PK), SHA256(Inputs,C2,PK), SHA256(Inputs,C3,PK)...  until he finds a hash < r and only then does he run to program to see if it does in fact produce the desired output for that imput.

OK, these attacks are trivial to defeat.  Here's a harder one:  The attacker submits a program implementing some algorithm to solve a particular problem.  The attacker, however knows a faster algorithm, and computes the outputs that way.
bassguitarman

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 09:43:43 PM

Do you have any previous work to back up your ability to take on this massive task?
Dazza

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:14:54 PM

And my conclusion:  Dazza did not read the white paper with the proper concentration.

And mine is that you don't even know what PoW is for.

Even if the outputs are not constant suppose there is a particular value or values of Outputs which are produced relatively often.  Call this value (or these values) C (or C1, C2, C3,...)  An attacker could compute SHA256(Inputs,C,PK) or SHA256(Inputs,C1,PK), SHA256(Inputs,C2,PK), SHA256(Inputs,C3,PK)...  until he finds a hash < r and only then does he run to program to see if it does in fact produce the desired output for that imput.

Huh And why is that bad? Its good when miners find such similarities/biases and get the work packages worked off quicker. Or do I miss something? Actually this scheme as you describe would also cause the miners to miss the "bounty payments" which are then credited back to the originator. Nobody would have the incentive to act this way.

They would if it gave them a much better chance (or in practice the only chance) of winning the block.  The scheme I outlined is not a clever way for a miner to do the work more quickly.  It's a way for a miner to avoid doing the work at all.

OK, these attacks are trivial to defeat.  Here's a harder one:  The attacker submits a program implementing some algorithm to solve a particular problem.  The attacker, however knows a faster algorithm, and computes the outputs that way.

And what does he win? If he mines using the "faster algorithm", he get's rewarded the coins he initially spent to get his work done?

Exactly, so this is essentially cost free for him.

What is the point of acting this way  Huh

He almost certainly wins the block.  And the next.  And the next.  And the next.  You've heard of the 51% attack?  This is the 99% attack.
Dazza

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:41:55 PM

And mine is that you don't even know what PoW is for.

blah blah blah  Roll Eyes

Oh have it your own way.  Invest in this coin if you want to; it's no skin off my nose.  I'll leave my remarks up to be evaluated by people who do understand what PoW is for.
Videodrome

Activity: 588
Merit: 503

Free Julian Assange

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 02:40:09 PM

Getting such things done properly is one major aspect when developing a coin.
In this case, where the proof of work functions are provided externally, it is far from trivial.
But if it could be done easily, someone would have already done it before.

Thank you for pointing the discussion in that direction. We are well aware of the possible attack vectors and we already worked out how to conquer them.
I will make sure the white paper gets extended by a "possible attacks" chapter to eliminate concerns regarding exactly that.

To clarify: the security of the transaction ledger in Elastic Coin will be mathematically provable. We are not fixing several isolated attack vectors here, we make it rock solid.

Expect the new version of the whitepaper anytime soon.

Thanks for the update
Dazza

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 02:50:47 PM

Evil Knievel, you've just written two lengthy paragraphs explaining how the attack wasn't a problem "from the reward point of view".  I never said it was.  I'm well aware that there's no 25 coin per block bounty.

You wrote one line on the actual problem:

The only reason to solve own blocks might be (and in this point i agree with you) to tamper with the consensus itself.

This is the problem.  Focus on this.

But also regarding the consensus: I am sure that this will be very well thought of ... I am very confident that it will do no harm to the system, if someone solves his own blocks.

Why are you "sure"?  Why are you "very confident"?  What grounds has Dev given us to have faith in his ability to deliver what he is promising?

And, just to be clear, it's not a problem if a miner solves some of his own blocks.  It's a problem if a miner solves blocks (whether his own or someone else's) faster than the rest of the network put together.  Solving his own blocks is just a means to that end.

I think these are other design questions such as "are the proof-of-work ledger and the transaction ledger one or two chains"? "When is a transaction expected to be confirmed"? "Do miners decide about the inclusion of transactions in their blocks or is there some other, more fancy, maybe deterministic confirmation methodology?". It has nothing to do with the fact, that some functions can be solved easier and some not.[

The concerns I am raising go way beyond mere "design questions".  Some of the promises in the white paper are mathematically impossible, for example: a Turing-complete language which does not allow arbitrarily long loops.

I wish you could discuss on a more professional level instead of shouting "SPAM" peppered with a bit of "mimimi" and "I am the greatest".  Grin

I have done none of those things.  The only personal point I made was about Dev's competence, which is, of course supremely relevant, and I'm hardly the first in this thread to question it.
CB_project

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 03:16:38 PM

really cool idea with this kind of proof of work
Dazza

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 03:32:07 PM

Getting such things done properly is one major aspect when developing a coin.

That would include the white paper itself, no?.

In this case, where the proof of work functions are provided externally, it is far from trivial.
But if it could be done easily, someone would have already done it before.

You given us no reason to believe that you are capable of solving these "far from trivial" problems.

In fact you've done worse.  You failed to solve some problems which are trivial and which have already been solved before.

For example, there's another reason your proposed function SHA256(Inputs,Outputs,PK) won't work:  There's no dependency on the block.  You need SHA256(Inputs,Outputs,PK,BLK) where BLK is the block or (better) the hash of the block.  If the PK is encoded in the block, which it probably ought to be, then all you need is SHA256(Inputs,Outputs,BLK).  This of course, is what bitcoin already does.

Thank you for pointing the discussion in that direction. We are well aware of the possible attack vectors and we already worked out how to conquer them.
I will make sure the white paper gets extended by a "possible attacks" chapter to eliminate concerns regarding exactly that.

To clarify: the security of the transaction ledger in Elastic Coin will be mathematically provable. We are not fixing several isolated attack vectors here, we make it rock solid.

Expect the new version of the whitepaper anytime soon.

Will your new section explain how you propose to defeat these attacks?  I'm not asking for formal proofs at this stage, an outline will do.  So far, all we've seen are promises to be delivered in the months to come, while you're collecting crowdsourced bitcoin now.
Dazza

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 04:17:45 PM

Mr. Dazza, please can you find another thread to FUD and SPAM?(this forum is full)

@Elasticcoin : The ANN thread must be moderated to avoid FUD and spam from professional spammer .

I made four comments and you're calling me a professional spammer?  Now who's FUDding?

Dazza

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 04:36:28 PM

Dazza please can you explain us why you are here if you don't like this project?

I do beg your pardon.  I was unaware that these threads were only for uncritical fanboys.

Do you have so many free time in your life?

Not enough to get a 154 point activity score.
OrsonJ

Activity: 597
Merit: 253

... and the swarm is headed towards us

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2016, 05:31:29 PM

The concept does sound interesting, but at the moment the nature of the crowd-funding is putting me off. Could you tell me if you would be willing to reveal more about yourself personally, perhaps by linking to a public profile in order to assuage the fears of potential investors and show that Lionel Keys is in fact your real name. To be frank, the project reminds me very much of the work of a prolific scam dev who was very active here in the past. I'd feel a lot more comfortable investing knowing this is your true identity and so that you are not him. Thanks.

I can assure you that I am no "prolific scam dev".
We will put up a detailed list of the core development team along with their pictures and short CVs online pretty soon  Wink

If you do not like the idea of crowdfunding (which i totally understand and accept) please make use of the advantage that this "development and IPO proceed simultaneously" scheme has: you always have the chance to wait until the product is finished, and if you like it buy directly into the genesis block.  See, you can totally avoid any risks because once the product is out and working, it cannot be a "scam" right?

Any progress with the profiles and CVs? I think this would benefit everyone involved. More assuring for potential investors and so more BTC to fund you and your team.

Zano alias: @orsonj  |  Twitter: @Cryptoschild
VenMiner

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 05:44:02 PM

Hi guys, minimun amount to invest is 1 btc?
OrsonJ

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2016, 06:05:30 PM

The concept does sound interesting, but at the moment the nature of the crowd-funding is putting me off. Could you tell me if you would be willing to reveal more about yourself personally, perhaps by linking to a public profile in order to assuage the fears of potential investors and show that Lionel Keys is in fact your real name. To be frank, the project reminds me very much of the work of a prolific scam dev who was very active here in the past. I'd feel a lot more comfortable investing knowing this is your true identity and so that you are not him. Thanks.

We will put up a detailed list of the core development team along with their pictures and short CVs online pretty soon  Wink

If you do not like the idea of crowdfunding (which i totally understand and accept) please make use of the advantage that this "development and IPO proceed simultaneously" scheme has: you always have the chance to wait until the product is finished, and if you like it buy directly into the genesis block.  See, you can totally avoid any risks because once the product is out and working, it cannot be a "scam" right?

Any progress with the profiles and CVs? I think this would benefit everyone involved. More assuring for potential investors and so more BTC to fund you and your team.

^ in case you missed it

VenMiner

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 07:01:17 PM

Hi, the minimum ist 0.01 BTC.
ok thanks, but if i want buy like 0.01 every day there no problem to do it?
VenMiner

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 07:06:07 PM

Hi, the minimum ist 0.01 BTC.
ok thanks, but if i want buy like 0.01 every day there no problem to do it?

No problem at all. You can buy multiple times using the same address ... the crowdfunding software will accumulate that automatically.
You can always check your current balance using the balance check function on http://elastic.pro.
ok thanks, i´m IN good luck to everyone.  Wink
OrsonJ

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2016, 08:08:55 PM

If you do not like the idea of crowdfunding (which i totally understand and accept) please make use of the advantage that this "development and IPO proceed simultaneously" scheme has: you always have the chance to wait until the product is finished, and if you like it buy directly into the genesis block.  See, you can totally avoid any risks because once the product is out and working, it cannot be a "scam" right?

^ in case you missed it

You've avoided responding to this twice now. Do you intend to put those profiles of the core development team up as stated?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: