Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:19:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Use My PGP Public Key to Send and Receive e-mails?  (Read 1081 times)
BarelyThere21 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 11:58:12 AM

I have been trying to understand how to use windows 7 to send and receive emails encrypted with a pgp public key. I understand how it works, I understand the public vs. private key and have created one. I just cannot figure out how to send an email to such an address? Do I need a specific email client? If it helps I used the GnuPG software to set it up via command prompt. From here I'm blind, I also would like to know how to pull up my pgp key if i need to. I feel safer using this method to discuss bitcoin than most others.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HBBZ

Activity: 570
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 12:09:18 PM

I'll check it out. Pretty good privacy, sounds nice.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 12:11:36 PM

I use Thunderbird and OpenPGP add-on. Everything is automated, you can even add existing keys.
BarelyThere21 (OP)

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 12:18:30 PM

ok, so do i just send an email to that key? is my key then now visible to send a reply?
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 12:43:09 PM

It's not so simple for a novice to get sendin' those encrypted emails.

I encourage you to google "pgp windows tutorial" and/or "pgp for windows".

People have been explaining this shit to noobs before I even used a computer.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 02:44:21 PM

I'm using Kleopatra and Cryptophane in a couple of my PC's. I would suggest the latter for an easier user experience, but they're essentially the same.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 03:04:39 PM

PGP isn't email.  You send email using your email client. GPG just creates encrypted messages.  You can email them but you can also send them as a private message, transfer them by dropbox, hand them to the recipient on a usb drive, or even print them out.   GPG just encrypts messages, you can deliver them however you like.   To use an analogy your quesiton would be like asking how can you use winzip to email files.  Winzip is used to compress files and then you can send them however you like.

To encrypt a message that you can email there are multiple options but here is the simplest one (since you already have GPG4Win installed).

To create an encrypted message
Start GPA (In Windows Start > GPG4WIN > GPA)
Click on [Clipboard]
Write your message.
Click on [Encrypt]
Select the key of the recipeint (you can select yours as a test).
The clipboard will change to encrypted version of your message.
Copy the entire contents of the clipboard (entire mean entire include the BEGIN and END lines).
Open your favorite email program or webapp (gmail, etc).
Paste the encrypted message into the body of the email.
Send the email like normal.

To decrypt a message
Copy the entire encrypted message (entire means entire include the BEGIN and END lines).
Open GPA (Start > GPG4Win > GPA)
Click [Clipboard]]
Paste the encrypted message.
Click [Decrypt]
Enter your private key passphrase when prompted.
The clipboard will change to the decrypted message.

For testing you can encrypt a message to yourself, email it to yourself, then copy it back to GPA using the two sets of instructions above.

I recommend you also try installing Cryptophane (an alternative GPG "client").  
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 03:06:04 PM

Sorry the name for the Thunderbird add-on I'm using is Enigmail: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/enigmail/

Enigmail adds OpenPGP message encryption and authentication to your email client. It features automatic encryption, decryption and integrated key management functionality. Enigmail requires GnuPG (www.gnupg.org) for the cryptographic functions. Note: GnuPG is not part of the installation.
The addon offered here supports Windows, Linux (32 and 64-bit) and Mac OS X. Versions for more platforms are available from the homepage.
bitman74

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 03:41:40 PM

im using tormail easy enough but any help or advice as to how I add/use PGP with tormal would be great.......thanks
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 07:32:08 PM

im using tormail easy enough but any help or advice as to how I add/use PGP with tormal would be great.......thanks

Write a message in the GPG client.  Encrypt.  Copy and paste the encrypted contents into the body of an email.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: