Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:20:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Identifying fringe creative movements  (Read 676 times)
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2013, 02:08:50 PM

I remember being interested in the Internet in the early days. I remember being told stories from my grandfather who in turn remembers the early days of radio.
 Now I look at Bitcoin and I see a similar thing.
We've been fortunate that the free internet in particular, as travel before it has catalysed these developments such that we have seen a lot more developments in recent years.

These are interesting projects all involving technology.

- can you think of other things that have come along to change society that aren't electronic?

- what is the language of these groups... is there a pattern? Are there words we see in these things that we don't see elsewhere?

I find being in these areas interesting and I tend to gravitate toward them. Never have I had a central role but it's great to say "I was there" later on. For example, what was the hippy movement like when it first started for example? What about steampunk or burning man?

And what do you see that is like this with a potential... but small now in those early stages?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2112

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 03:18:34 PM

If you read about it here, it's probably already jumped the shark. You need to get involved in the subcultures to hear about things while they're still fresh.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 03:39:12 PM

Social networking is all about who you chose to associate with.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 04:33:10 PM

What an interesting post!

- can you think of other things that have come along to change society that aren't electronic?
Vegetarianism. Communism. The metric system of weights and measures. Environmental awareness. Rock music. Votes for women. Air travel. Freeways. Contraception. Antibiotics. Are these the kind of things you're thinking of?

- what is the language of these groups... is there a pattern?
Perhaps the only pattern is that these things came into being because of people who weren't afraid of doing something new and different.

I find being in these areas interesting and I tend to gravitate toward them.
Me too. CB Radio in the 1970s, Relational databases in the late 1970s, 4GLs in the early 1980s, Desktop Publishing in the mid 1980s, Internet from 1993, Wikipedia from its second day of operation, OpenStreetMap from 2007, Bitcoin from 2010.

And what do you see that is like this with a potential... but small now in those early stages?
If I knew the answer to that, I'd be there right now!

Bitcoin, of course, is a current hotspot that will soon become something really big. Once Bitcoin is entrenched, it will open up a huge range of new opportunities, just as the internet had to become entrenched before Bitcoin could become a possibility.

Let me throw in some guesses as to what might become big in the next decade or two:

• The system of education and qualifications is going to be shaken up like never before. Dinosaur-like traditional institutions based on years and years of structured learning will wither away, to be replaced by a system of education based around micro-courses that can be plugged together in different ways to meet different needs. That, in turn, will create a demand for new types of testing and certification bodies that can address these more-flexible educational processes.

• Thanks to Bitcoin (and probably via some kind of Bitcoin-linked subchain), micropayments will finally have a good enough infrastructure to prosper. I can see even the tiniest API call carrying a micropayment along with it. There are already lots of business ideas that would become profitable if micropayments could be used to call a Search API or a Maps API. As their advertising revenue stagnates, companies such as Google will find economic salvation in the provision of micropayment-based API services

• Some time soon a tipping-point will arrive, after which it will be possible (and desirable) for people to live in alternative ways: in undersea cities, or on linked platforms floating on the sea, or underground, or even in the air (at any one time, there are already half a million people in the air!). Mass colonisation of the moon and mars is probably much further away.

• Immersive virtual worlds are improving so fast that at some point they will become the preferred way for many people to live. This will open up all sorts of interesting possibilities (and will have environmental benefits too)

• Huge amounts of data will be recorded about everything. Every aspect of our lives will generate video data, transactional data, location data, opinion data etc. This will open up new opportunities to process this data. For example, our car insurance might have its cost determined by how many near misses we have had. For example, automatically-condensed highlights of a person's life could be offered for sale to the person as an annual one-hour movie.

• Self-driving cars are definitely coming. It might be 10 years or it might be 15, but it won't be 20. This will change the way that we travel in so many ways. (On the other hand, mass-market flying cars are not coming, even if Bill Gates will own one.)

What are your thoughts?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2013, 05:53:18 PM

Rassah in 5... 4... 3...
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 08:17:17 PM

Found some more. All very cool and it seems I've been into all of them!

Location Independent Lifestyle  “Knowmads“ (this is my blog)
    Makers
    Prosumers
    Citizen Scientist
    Collaborative Consumer
    Free Culture
    Frugal and Proud
    Unschooled
    Futurist
    Personal Analytic
    Transhumanist
    Connected

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: