Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:20:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ashley Madison, Bitcoin and Blackmail  (Read 553 times)
JonC (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 06:48:21 PM

Dear all, A while back, my work email address was used with a whole load of others from my workplace to set up fake accounts on Ashley Madison, which were then dumped in the recent, infamous hack of that site.

I'd checked my address on I've Been Pwned after a friend advised me to when the scandal broke and found my email on it; I told my IT section at work and my boss, reported it to the police, etc.

I then received a blackmail email some time later (as you'd kind of expect) demanding I pay Bitcoins into a Bitcoin account. I've again reported this to the cybercrime lot of the local Police, my IT department etc but the use of a bitcoin account intrigued me.

I've read a bit about bitcoin and have a vague idea how it works but really I'm a complete ignoramus; I thought it might be interesting to post on this forum with the bitcoin number the blackmailer sent me - 1PXoUSvYBjL6meNs3iqv7bJxQjnWtNUSz1 and see if it's possible to track down who this might belong to.

I realize this might be a silly question but I do love looking into things, so please forgive me naivety if this sounds stupid to you...

Any info advice gratefully received!

Thanks!
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 08:27:35 PM

Did your wife buy that story?   Grin
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 08:30:33 PM

It is very unlikely that you will be able to trace anything through that number as they probably generate a new number for every mail they send.

Unless they then send it to a very obvious collection address, which I doubt, you won't be able to track it if they use a mixer for instance.
seedtrue
Legendary

Activity: 963
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 08:31:22 PM

Did your wife buy that story?   Grin

I thought the same thing when I read it. No offense intended to OP, but thats not really a good defense  "Someone used my email to sign up for an account on  a cheating site"  Roll Eyes .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: