Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:30:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What can you be reincarnated as?
Nothing, doesnt happen - 36 (49.3%)
Rock - 6 (8.2%)
Plant - 4 (5.5%)
Animal - 7 (9.6%)
Mammal - 7 (9.6%)
Human - 13 (17.8%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you believe in Reincarnation?  (Read 3996 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 04:48:01 AM

When does 'you' stop becoming you, before you die, when you undergo certain events?
blaah... blaah....
......blaah...

Absolutely fascinating read! Definitly some interesting things to think about.

Thanks! I'm still thinking about the Halting problem and the rejection of Physicalism, though. My reasoning might have been a bit weak -- some counterarguments:
-our human 'OS' has evolved to get so many interrupts from our chaotic environment that we never get stuck on anything for too long.
-we are creatures of habit and we do get stuck in loops. It's just that we don't care, or we just can't see them from the inside.
- (I read on someone's blog but lost the link) even if we had a 'magic' interrupt/reset circuit, it would create paradoxical possibilities and we would still need additional tiers to break free.

So my back-up argument is: qualia Grin We somehow feel all those feelings, smell various smells, see what we see, hear what we hear, taste what we taste, and so on, even though none of those things exist outside of our minds. Our complete inability to objectively communicate any of those things hints at a non-physical basis for them.

David Chalmers gets mentioned so many times, and I engage in conversations about his work to various people, so I have no idea if we've discussed him before. Have you read him (and his 1996 book)?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blablahblah

Activity: 775

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:20:47 AM

David Chalmers gets mentioned so many times, and I engage in conversations about his work to various people, so I have no idea if we've discussed him before. Have you read him (and his 1996 book)?

Not yet, but I've been thinking about getting round to it sometime. Cheesy
FirstAscent

Activity: 812

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 06:24:38 PM

Not yet, but I've been thinking about getting round to it sometime. Cheesy

Now would be the time.
maunderingcabal

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Don't dwell in the past, don't dream of the future

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 11:06:23 AM

If you answer yes:
1) Do you think there are more or less souls than there are living things on the earth suitable for reincarnation?
2) In other words, would there be a "queue" a soul would have to wait in before getting back in the game?
3) What do you think is the ratio of souls to suitable vehicles for "incarnation"?

I've just never really taken the idea seriously so if these are dumb questions sorry.

1) Do you think there are more or less souls than there are living things on the earth suitable for reincarnation?

I'm a Buddhist; I believe that it depends on what you do in life. I think some people are capable of coming back. Some people will re-incarnate into something that is more than physical and not inhabit a body.

2) In other words, would there be a "queue" a soul would have to wait in before getting back in the game?

In a Buddhist prospective, no. There are multiple levels of re-incarnation depended on how much good karma you had in your life and how much enlightenment you received. Here are the different levels explained. You can go up and down in rank of existence based on merit. Here is a rank of lowest existence to highest.

1. Beings in Hell - The lowest and worst realm, wracked by torture and characterized by aggression.  
2.Hungry Ghosts - characterized by great craving and eternal starvation
3.Animals - animals and livestock, characterized by stupidity and servitude.
5.Humans - both good and evil; enlightenment is within their grasp, yet most are blinded and consumed by their desires.  
4.Asura -anger, jealousy, and constant war; the Asura (Ashura) are demigods, semi-blessed beings; they are powerful, fierce and quarrelsome; like humans, they are partly good and partly evil.
 6.Deva  - heavenly beings filled with pleasure; the deva hold godlike powers; some reign over celestial kingdoms; most live in delightful happiness and splendor; they live for countless ages

3) What do you think is the ratio of souls to suitable vehicles for "incarnation"?

Like I said before, I think this doesn’t matter. Everything re-incarnates. If there were no more physical vessels left I would assume that we would all be stuck in the top 2 and bottom 2 of the scale and still re-incarnate between the 4 because of free-will.

You like my post? Buy me a beer for ฿0.01
13KKQYQLmDFaTtcoPDtnt3My1PPUdcc8AL
My website/blog/bitcoin store
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: