Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:43:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hand-Poured 2 Troy Ounce Silver Ingot  (Read 2103 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 01:37:44 AM

[MODS: "African Hunter" blocked from this post]
Up for sale is a  2 Troy Ounce 925 Silver Ingot made fresh today. 925 purity is ensured by 1)melting only 925 silver and 2) adding silver shot (.999 pure). I had a bad experience selling my ingots on here, so I've generally stayed away. But I've found much success on eBay and within a network of silver enthusiasts/smelters themselves. Believe it or not, there is a premium on hand-poured bars. They go for much more than manufactured bars. Do an eBay search for "Engelhard". You'll see their old, hand-poured bars sell for much more than their manufactured ones.
Considering this, I am pricing this ingot at 5.5BTC, shipping included. Its one of my best so far, and if nobody will pay that for it I'll probably keep it. Please PM me if interested. I will consider reasonable offers. Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 01:54:25 AM

rofl. hand poured engelhards go for such a premium because they are engelhards. you are not engelhard =P.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 01:58:05 AM

rofl. hand poured engelhards go for such a premium because they are engelhards. you are not engelhard =P.
True, Engelhard is a name brand. Type in hand-poured ingots and see what you get. Good ones sell for more than their manufactured equivalent. I feel no need to argue with you over this because I have made more selling 1oz ingots than a manufactured one costs several times (thought I'd do a 2oz this time)-AND mine is 925, not 999.
Snipes777

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 02:09:17 PM

Another question is that I'm assuming it is 2 troy ounces with the various impurities in the bar. Meaning there is approximately 1.85 ounces of silver. Second question is are these troy ounces or avoirdupois ounces? Assuming they are troy ounces, the silver value just over 4 BTC. Small premium and shipping in a flat rate box might put it at 5 BTC. 5.5 would be a little on the steep side. If they are avoirdupois ounces, then it is less silver, wrong weight, and other problems.

So just let people know what measure you are using and how much silver weight is in the bar. I may be misunderstanding, in which I would be happy to be corrected when you show what measurements you were using.

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntaryism
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:56:46 PM

True, Engelhard is a name brand. Type in hand-poured ingots and see what you get. Good ones sell for more than their manufactured equivalent. I feel no need to argue with you over this because I have made more selling 1oz ingots than a manufactured one costs several times (thought I'd do a 2oz this time)-AND mine is 925, not 999.

Hey I'm a believer in subjective value theory. If what you say is true and that's what people are willing to pay, than that is what its worth.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
sega01

Activity: 391
Merit: 333

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:08:16 PM

Wow! This is a really impressive bar. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to sit on my coins for a little while. But great job on making it!

Even looks like you have a little lightning symbol or two in the bar, to the sides of the "2".
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 03:56:21 AM

Wow! This is a really impressive bar. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to sit on my coins for a little while. But great job on making it!

Even looks like you have a little lightning symbol or two in the bar, to the sides of the "2".
Thanks a lot, Teran. You always have something positive to say-much appreciated. This ingot is 2 troy ounces of 925 Silver, as marked on the bar. So yes, 7.75% of it is "impurities"-the alloys used to make sterling silver. And yes, its all about subjective value. You'd be amazed at what kind of luck I've had selling my bars on eBay. I'm going to continue to list them on there simply because theres a larger audience more interested in it, which means more money. But if anyone every wants a custom 925 (I could do .999 too, but it would be more expensive as I'd have to buy or use some of my .999 bullion) Ingot, let me know. This one I think I'm keeping for myself-unless someone contacts me about it. Also I filled in the stamped marks with black paint...looks pretty good, going to do that from now on.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 04:03:13 AM

I do, one on either side. My little signature lol. Good eyes.
MJGrae

Activity: 134

Sold.

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 04:45:02 AM

It's times like these that I really wish I had the BTC laying around. Really cool little trinket even just to have, not to mention the value it carries. Good luck to ya, hope your eBay listings keep getting bought out.
Bengt Bedrup

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 08:36:31 AM

I do not mean to dredge up old drama, but since the issue of purity was raised about your earlier .99 ingots, have you done any assaying or similar to check/verify the quality of your .925 ingots and your work process?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 02:34:22 PM

I do not mean to dredge up old drama, but since the issue of purity was raised about your earlier .99 ingots, have you done any assaying or similar to check/verify the quality of your .925 ingots and your work process?

he may not appreciate this post but i commend you. i wish more people were willing to say the hard socially awkward things that need to be said. Posts like these help to strengthen our community as a whole.

Snipes777

Activity: 132

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 03:40:58 PM

He should be held accountable and responsible for his past. Anyone who does business with him should be aware of the risks.

For instance it is accused (not proven) that when trying to achieve .999 purity, he was actually between .8 and .925 - likely from added impurities being introduced in his process. It appears to me he has used the same process and now claims it is .925, even though a few of the bars were accused less. Besides all the past headaches and lack of customer service, I also would want him to prove that he can achieve a claimed purity.

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntaryism
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 11:56:36 PM

Not trying to jump in like I was there, but I've done a successful trade for another product, went smooth as can be.

And the claim of impurity I do recall an extra silver coin was sent because it was his first ingot just in case it wasn't on par with purity the extra coin's weight was to cover that.
Bengt Bedrup

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 01:19:42 AM

And the claim of impurity I do recall an extra silver coin was sent because it was his first ingot just in case it wasn't on par with purity the extra coin's weight was to cover that.
The problem is that we don't know what caused those readings. It could have been improper assaying (uncalibrated reader, test done under wrong conditions), it could have been something particular to that batch (fake/impure silver in the batch) or it could be something inherent in his work process (his methods/equipment introduces significant amounts of impurities in the silver). That last possibility is the troublesome one, as it would affect these later ingots as well, which is why it is important to know if it can be ruled out.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 04:44:13 AM

No problem. The first ingots I made I thought I could separate the silver from the alloys in it (Sterling Silver, I mean) through a hasty chemical process and controlled melting-silver melts at a lower temperature than the alloys in Sterling Silver. No official posting of any assay results was ever made, so I am still not sure of the purity of those first ingots.
But I've decided to leave the hazardous chemicals and the uncertainty of purity completely out of the equation. I melt only sterling silver (925) scrap to make my bars, and I always add at least 7% (by wieght) silver shot (tiny beads of .999 silver) to ensure purity, in case any is lost in the melting process. Although, my torch does not reach temperatures high enough to vaporize the silver and thus "melt it off". I tested this one day by melting an old .999 silver round I had. I weighed it before (1.01 ozt) and I weighed it after (bouncing between 1 ozt and 1.01 ozt), so the question of silver being burned off was thus put to rest. Either way though, I add silver shot-you can buy a small amount of it on eBay for pretty cheap and in-case someone does assay one of my bars it will put any more "drama" to sleep.
Bengt Bedrup

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 07:39:11 PM

Thanks for the response.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 11:32:45 PM

Thanks for the response.
Of course. Assaying every ingot I make would be unrealistic (a true assay costs about $60). But if anyone buys one of my ingots and wants to assay it, I welcome that. I'd even be willing to contribute a little.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: