Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:25:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kim Dotcom Mansion: Press conference 2013-01-19 GMT  (Read 20469 times)
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 08:02:06 PM

I anticipated the scenerio, but I imagine that some of those who bought the P2P hype a year ago might be down-faced about things.

Not at all. The P2P network exists and will continue to exist without every new user running a full node.

I know people who downloaded the default client and run it without ever investing or mining. They just wanted to support the idea.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 08:03:59 PM

Do you know that they are working on a new database system wich make the blockchain download much much much faster? I'm trying it since some days and it is really much faster. In like 6 hours or so a decent computer get the whole chain.
Yes, it is still a lot and that's why unless you want to run a full node, you should use a lightweight client (especially since lightweight clients have a much better interface!)

Electrum and Multibit are like the normal client but without the blockchain. They aren't online wallet lol

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 11:12:13 PM

I anticipated the scenerio, but I imagine that some of those who bought the P2P hype a year ago might be down-faced about things.
Not at all. The P2P network exists and will continue to exist without every new user running a full node.

Of course.  Indeed, the modern banking system is also 'peer to peer'.  To become a 'peer', you just need to plunk down some capital on account at the central bank and get a license.  Easy as pie.

The "high-performance servers that handle the most complicated parts of the Bitcoin system" that Electrum brags about fail to impress me a lot.  Wells Fargo undoubtedly has gear which would put to shame whatever the Electrum branch of philosophical thought has cobbled together.  One way or another, that's exactly the opposite of what attracted me to Bitcoin in the first place.

I know people who downloaded the default client and run it without ever investing or mining. They just wanted to support the idea.

Interesting that already we are at a phase where it is occasionally the case that a forum member 'knows people' who undertakes such a novel and unusual thing as to run a client just to 'support the idea.'  Time is definitely on high speed in Bitcoin-land.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 11:19:34 PM

One way or another, that's exactly the opposite of what attracted me to Bitcoin in the first place.
I don't understand why you post here at all.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 11:28:10 PM

Do you know that they are working on a new database system wich make the blockchain download much much much faster? I'm trying it since some days and it is really much faster. In like 6 hours or so a decent computer get the whole chain.
Yes, it is still a lot and that's why unless you want to run a full node, you should use a lightweight client (especially since lightweight clients have a much better interface!)

I wish Satoshi would have entertained the (not completely unheard-of) concept of sharding as a possible way to address the inevitable scaling issues back when his brain was churning things.  I'm not impressed with how his theoretical work on Merkle pruning is coming along.  Even if someone adapts the most astonishing database technology imaginable to the problem, it's only going to go so far.  If Bitcoin takes off, that is.

Electrum and Multibit are like the normal client but without the blockchain. They aren't online wallet lol

Do the clients take part in strengthening the network...aside from (or as opposed to) paying up whatever is requested to the infrastructure operators?  (That is actually a fair question since I do not know the answer to it at this point, BTW.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jwzguy

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 11:28:52 PM

Interesting that already we are at a phase where it is occasionally the case that a forum member 'knows people' who undertakes such a novel and unusual thing as to run a client just to 'support the idea.'  Time is definitely on high speed in Bitcoin-land.
Are you being sarcastic? Have you heard of a little project called 'Tor'? Or 'SETI'? Or 'Folding@home?'
If you think it's so incredible that a forum member here knows other people who participate in novel and unusual computing projects even without the promise of huge returns, you should get out of the house more.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 11:29:44 PM

One way or another, that's exactly the opposite of what attracted me to Bitcoin in the first place.
I don't understand why you post here at all.

I guess it is largely because so far Theymos has not seen fit to restrict the forum to unquestioning fan-boys.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 11:31:36 PM

Are you being sarcastic? Have you heard of a little project called 'Tor'? Or 'SETI'? Or 'Folding@home?'
If you think it's so incredible that a forum member here knows other people who participate in novel and unusual computing projects even without the promise of huge returns, you should get out of the house more.

I was being sarcastic, but in a way which seemed to have escaped you completely.

jwzguy

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 11:32:40 PM

I was being sarcastic, but in a way which seemed to have escaped you completely.
Congratulations on your failure to communicate. Bye.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 11:38:49 PM

Congratulations on your failure to communicate. Bye.

To be more precise, my failure to communicate with you.  Adios.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 06:17:10 PM

Well one of the Mega resellers http://www.hosting.co.uk/mega.php is no longer accepting PayPal and is now accepting Bitcoin. I guess we should thank the folks over at http://stopfilelockers.com/ for their part in this.  Wink

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 06:24:54 PM

Well one of the Mega resellers http://www.hosting.co.uk/mega.php is no longer accepting PayPal and is now accepting Bitcoin. I guess we should thank the folks over at http://stopfilelockers.com/ for their part in this.  Wink

Wow, now that is really cool. I didn't think this was going to happen so fast.

Awesome!

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 07:08:38 PM

Wow, now that is really cool. I didn't think this was going to happen so fast.

Awesome!

Now this is good news!

Lets hope the others will follow.
AbsoluteZero

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 07:17:36 PM

Bitcoins are being accepted at hosting.co.uk for All products and services not just mega.

This is very good news!

constitution

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:09:14 AM

Love watching these press conferences.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:31:33 AM

For anyone interested, I found this on Dotcom's twitter:

--------
Max Keiser ‏@maxkeiser
Bitcoin is to central banks what mega is to Hollywood: the solution. CB's and H'wood are both poison. Encryption is the cure.
--------

I could not agree more with Max.  Also, it seems to lend some strength to my suspicion that Dotcom is at the very least, keenly aware of Bitcoin though it remains a mystery what his exact feeling and plans are.

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 06:59:16 AM

For anyone interested, I found this on Dotcom's twatter:

--------
Max Keiser ‏@maxkeiser
Bitcoin is to central banks what mega is to Hollywood: the solution. CB's and H'wood are both poison. Encryption is the cure.
--------

I could not agree more with Max.  Also, it seems to lend some strength to my suspicion that Dotcom is at the very least, keenly aware of Bitcoin though it remains a mystery what his exact feeling and plans are.

You know, I'd laugh my ass off if he has just been soaking up supply to kick off bitcoin oriented business plans. I have to admit that the appreciation has stunned even me.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 09:09:12 AM

Kim, as we know in Germany, is some kind of impostor.

He was portrayed in the media as hacker or cracker that he never was.

It was always people around him.

He seems to be somewhat a good marketeer and have talent at executing though. So nothing wrong with that.

But I guess his technical fellows would have to be convinced first then. If they fall for the usual misconceptions and veto, he won't include Bitcoin.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 12:34:22 PM

good interview
Kim Dotcom: 'I want to encrypt half of Internet
I think this war between Hollywood,CB's will not end well
Pentagon Looks to Beef Up Cybersecurity Force

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 01:01:44 PM

max u can thank me later  Cheesy

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print