Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:12:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Immigration: Merit over Money or Need?  (Read 100 times)
Decade_Later (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 1

Changing the world, one project at a time

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2018, 06:16:58 PM

Dipping my toes a bit into this as the debate has now flared up about whether family can or should be able to sponsor others to get into the US. I honestly don't have a dog in the fight as I am an expat and have no plans on returning to my home country, but I was chuckling a bit when I read about the latest flare up. Especially with this revelation from last year: "Federal prosecutors are investigating Kushner Companies, the real estate firm owned by the family of Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, over its use of a program that grants visas to wealthy overseas investors.

The authorities, in part, are looking into the role of Mr. Kushner’s sister, Nicole Meyer, according to a person familiar with the matter who confirmed the inquiry.

The investigation centers on the real estate company’s use of the so-called EB-5 program, which offers visas to foreigners in exchange for a $500,000 investment. Critics say the program has weak oversight and lax rules."

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/business/kushner-eb-5-china-green-cards.html

If it's an asset, it can be tokenized. www.assetbase.io
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
djangocoin

Activity: 474
Merit: 285

Brave New World

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 03:35:14 PM

I know one thing: no amount of Merit garnered or appropriated on here is going to get you in to the U.S. Roll Eyes

:]
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 04:04:53 PM

I know people from my country who do this, petitioning their children to move there too. Since more often than not those parents are working there and the children grow up to be taxpayers I don't think it's as bad as suddenly opening your borders and saying "You get in, you get in, you all get in!"

Can't say much about the Kushners but aren't there already countries selling citizenship for money? Might as well make them pay for the visas, though I think it should go to the treasury rather than private pockets.
Decade_Later (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 1

Changing the world, one project at a time

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 08:18:35 PM

I know people from my country who do this, petitioning their children to move there too. Since more often than not those parents are working there and the children grow up to be taxpayers I don't think it's as bad as suddenly opening your borders and saying "You get in, you get in, you all get in!"

Can't say much about the Kushners but aren't there already countries selling citizenship for money? Might as well make them pay for the visas, though I think it should go to the treasury rather than private pockets.

You can't necessarily buy citizenship, but you can buy residency. The US has this legally, you invest in a company, you hire family members to be employees with green card sponsorship from the company, and there you go.

If it's an asset, it can be tokenized. www.assetbase.io
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: