Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:37:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapest BTC miner for learning?  (Read 672 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 07:32:03 PM

I am going need some recommendations regarding looking a cheap BTC miner with the purpose to teach others about the process of mining. I don't really need one to profit from it (no matter if it has a very low hashrate) just want one for educational purposes and use it as a medium to promote Bitcoins too. Any ideas on what type of miner would be the one suitable for this task? The cheaper it is the better.  Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sase007

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 07:35:52 PM

I am going need some recommendations regarding looking a cheap BTC miner with the purpose to teach others about the process of mining. I don't really need one to profit from it (no matter if it has a very low hashrate) just want one for educational purposes and use it as a medium to promote Bitcoins too. Any ideas on what type of miner would be the one suitable for this task? The cheaper it is the better.  Smiley

The good cheap miners would be an antminer U3 or U2.

The U3 is at around 60GHs so not that big and is around $20-30
The U2 seems to be around 2GHs.

I think the U3 is also only a few hundred grams.

Potential: you could also get an antrouter R1 and smash it to view its components for educational purposes, as a miner it probably isn't good but is small.

EDIT: their price has increased so this may be better:
GekkoScience Compac 8-16 GH/s (23 GH/s max.)

Otherwise, if you want a standalone aio miner use an antminer s1 or s2
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 07:48:17 PM

a

Potential: you could also get an antrouter R1 and smash it to view its components for educational purposes, as a miner it probably isn't good but is small.

Great! Thanks for sharing these miner recommendations. The ones that I liked the most were the Antrouter R1 and the GekkoScience miner. I will give these a shot and educate myself as well with it. For testing purposes, how do I actually mine testnet Bitcoins with it? Is it really possible?  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 08:03:08 PM

a

Great! Thanks for sharing these miner recommendations. The ones that I liked the most were the Antrouter R1 and the GekkoScience miner. I will give these a shot and educate myself as well with it. For testing purposes, how do I actually mine testnet Bitcoins with it? Is it really possible?  Smiley

Get yourself a nice usb powered hub, and a RPI as a controller.  Then by some GekkoScience compacs. They simply  are best BTC mining usb sticks right now.  For learning this route is very good.

Only thing you need to be aware that chances of ROI are pretty much none unless you sell it someday and made  money on sale.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 08:10:43 PM

Get yourself a nice usb powered hub, and a RPI as a controller.  Then by some GekkoScience compacs. They simply  are best BTC mining usb sticks right now.  For learning this route is very good.

Only thing you need to be aware that chances of ROI are pretty much none unless you sell it someday and made  money on sale.

Thank you for your reply. All I need to do right now is buy a GekkoScience miner and a usb powered hub. I have a spare RPi lying around so this shouldn't be a problem. These will make a great tool for educational purposes. If I then decide to sell them, I would do so by listing it at a price a little bit higher than what I have bought them in order to ROI. But that would be very unlikely since I will keep them for time sake.  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 08:23:38 PM

Thank you for your reply. All I need to do right now is buy a GekkoScience miner and a usb powered hub. I have a spare RPi lying around so this shouldn't be a problem. These will make a great tool for educational purposes. If I then decide to sell them, I would do so by listing it at a price a little bit higher than what I have bought them in order to ROI. But that would be very unlikely since I will keep them for time sake.  Smiley

I should mention there is no guarantee with ROI.  Sidehack is making a pretty sizable 2nd batch of compacs.  So there are more on market, you might not be able to sell for higher... and you might be able to hard to say.

I know i sold some of mine when he was out and it worked out great as people wanted a product that was between production runs.  Not all will get this lucky.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: