Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:16:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it so hard to make a (big) diamond?  (Read 3679 times)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:50:26 PM

Oh understood  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:05:05 PM

Yes, then that should work. Out of curiosity, what materials will you build your 4"x4" rod out of that will support having 600,000,000kg on top of it?

Well, I know pretty much nothing about resistance of materials.  But I have many difficulties to imagine that a steel rod would be the first thing to break.  After all, isn't steel stronger than graphite?  So in my mind the graphite would turn into diamond first and then shit would happen.

Or maybe we could use tungsten.  I don't know.  I really would like to simulate it, but I'm no mechanical engineer.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:12:10 PM

Well, I know pretty much nothing about resistance of materials.  But I have many difficulties to imagine that a steel rod would be the first thing to break.  After all, isn't steel stronger than graphite?  So in my mind the graphite would turn into diamond first and then shit would happen.

Or maybe we could use tungsten.  I don't know.  I really would like to simulate it, but I'm no mechanical engineer.

Yes well, now you're starting to grasp the problem. Neither tungsten nor steel have a durity of 10. This means they don't work in this application.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
JohnBigheart

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:27:19 PM

Realistically this is what would happen:

|                                    |
|                 _                 |
|              /| | \              |
|________/ |_|  \________|             

The huge steel block you put on the carbon would simply deform under the 600,000,000kg pressure.
What you will get is carbon pressed into your steel block. Which actually is a really interesting material, but not diamond.

If you would make the top of the press a water tank and fill it with water the rod below it will simply puncture the tank and the water will flow out.

World renowned expert on silly sketches and stupid gif animations.
Your tips are welcome: 17cETm8zDugFKuNQMprW6GgAFEpmrcPUA
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2112

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:29:56 PM

It's not worth it to make artificial diamonds (in any quantity). As soon as you do, the perceived value disappears.

Diamonds are basically cheap rocks that have had their value inflated using artificial scarcity and by clever marketing. Last I heard, there is more than a three year supply on hand. Industrially, only tiny diamonds are typically needed and there's more than enough of those to go around (and at that size, they're reasonably easy to make artificially in any case).

With that said, large artificial diamonds are very much around the corner and the dug-from-dirt suppliers are about crapping themselves. They are already starting talk of the natural ones being more attractive due to natural inclusions (something which has detracted from value in the past but artificial diamonds tend to be "perfect") and plans are afoot (if not in place already) to start tagging natural diamonds with serial numbers using lasers to preserve the "exclusiveness".

Diamonds are a terrible buy. Take one to a jeweler and they'll typically offer less than half what you paid. I've told my wife that she can never expect one from me. There are more attractive jewels anyway.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:37:27 PM

Realistically this is what would happen:

|                                    |
|                 _                 |
|              /| | \              |
|________/ |_|  \________|              

The huge steel block you put on the carbon would simply deform under the 600,000,000kg pressure.
What you will get is carbon pressed into your steel block. Which actually is a really interesting material, but not diamond.

If you would make the top of the press a water tank and fill it with water the rod below it will simply puncture the tank and the water will flow out.

Yeah I mentioned already that the tank (or a structure below that supports it) would need a better shape than just a flat surface. Like a V-shape or something:

JohnBigheart

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 06:27:35 PM

Imagine you actually could make some as big as you want, and at will.  Would you refrain yourself from doing it?  I bet you wouldn't.  You'd make some because diamonds are cool and pretty.

Humans love to make things, regardless of whether it has value or not.  It just has to be fun, cool, or beautiful.  And because sometimes the value is not in the product, it's in the act of making it.

If someone could figure out a way of making a car-sized diamond, I'm pretty sure someone would actually do it.

It all boils down to opportunity cost. MAYBE someone could make a car sized diamond with a total of X hours of extended work effort and the cost of Y resources.
The question is this: Are X hours of effort and Y resources really the best spent on making a car sized diamond?
Or should we rather spend the X hours and Y resources on curing cancer? Or making a super weapon to rule the world? Or make cars that run without fossil fuels?

Just because it can be done does not mean it will be done. It will be done when someone in control of the required effort, skills and resources thinks its the best way to spend the effort necessary to do so.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 06:35:24 PM

It all boils down to opportunity cost. MAYBE someone could make a car sized diamond with a total of X hours of extended work effort and the cost of Y resources.
The question is this: Are X hours of effort and Y resources really the best spent on making a car sized diamond?
Or should we rather spend the X hours and Y resources on curing cancer? Or making a super weapon to rule the world? Or make cars that run without fossil fuels?

Just because it can be done does not mean it will be done. It will be done when someone in control of the required effort, skills and resources thinks its the best way to spend the effort necessary to do so.

You're too squared.   People don't think like that.   The notions of "Fun" and "Cool" don't fit in your economics views.

I've shown you a useless machine already.  Here is the world record for falling dominos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7Ep3U06Nc

Why did all these people spend so much time preparing those dominoes instead of searching a cure to cancer?  I don't know, but they did anyway.

I have very little doubt that if it was possible to make a car-sized diamond, someone would make one, regardless on whether it would cost more or less than the market price of the actual thing.

JohnBigheart

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 06:53:57 PM

Why did all these people spend so much time preparing those dominoes instead of searching a cure to cancer?  I don't know, but they did anyway.

Because it is insanely more simple to put dominoes in place rather then cure cancer. With enough fools who have enough time on their hands you can build incredibly large dominoes. A few hundred fools with several months to spare still won't cure cancer, put a man on the moon or make a non-fossil powered automobile.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 06:57:49 PM

Because it is insanely more simple to put dominoes in place rather then cure cancer. With enough fools who have enough time on their hands you can build incredibly large dominoes. A few hundred fools with several months to spare still won't cure cancer, put a man on the moon or make a non-fossil powered automobile.

Notice than you're the one who talked about curing cancer.

Anyway, my point of this thread was that to me, making a big diamond at least looks simple.   Just like falling dominoes:  you just need a lot of dominoes.  It seems to me that to make diamonds, you just need a lot of water and steel.

mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 11:15:28 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I saw this and it reminded me of this thread. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carbon_basic_phase_diagram.png

From this you can see that creating diamonds needs a presure of about 70 to 700Gpa. Doesnt sound much does it ?

Let me put that into everyday units for you:

70Gpa is about 700,000 atmospheres, or about  10,152,641 psi. Wow!!
Oh yes, you also need a temperature of at least 4500K.  Kelvin, Celsius, who even cares at these temperatures?

For reference, (rough figures.)

Melting point of Iron: 1800K.
  Melting point of Tungsten: 3700K
  Melting point of
      Tantalum Carbide, TaC, an
      ultra high melting point
      ceramic, reckoned to have
      highest melting point of anything: 4250K

Even measuring such high temperatures is not simple, remember your common or garden platinum thermometer would melt!!
(Oh, yes Platinum melts at about 2000K)

Oh, and bear in mind that graphite starts to burn at about 1050K in anything similar to air.

Of course many tricks can be used to confine something hot within something that is cooler, look at a microwave, the inside is not as hot as the food in it,
but that in essence is why it is so hard to make diamonds at all.

Big diamonds? Well, thats just a little harder....

See also:
www.electrochem.org/dl/interface/wtr/wtr07/wtr07_p30-36.pdf

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 11:34:46 AM

Yes, then that should work. Out of curiosity, what materials will you build your 4"x4" rod out of that will support having 600,000,000kg on top of it?

Diamonds.  Cheesy
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:21:59 PM

From this you can see that creating diamonds needs a presure of about 70 to 700Gpa. Doesnt sound much does it ?

Let me put that into everyday units for you:

70Gpa is about 700,000 atmospheres, or about  10,152,641 psi. Wow!!
Oh yes, you also need a temperature of at least 4500K.  Kelvin, Celsius, who even cares at these temperatures?

For reference, (rough figures.)

Melting point of Iron: 1800K.
  Melting point of Tungsten: 3700K
  Melting point of
      Tantalum Carbide, TaC, an
      ultra high melting point
      ceramic, reckoned to have
      highest melting point of anything: 4250K

Then don't heat the metal parts.  Only heat the graphite target at its center, somehow.  It would melt if it has to melt.

Even measuring such high temperatures is not simple, remember your common or garden platinum thermometer would melt!! (Oh, yes Platinum melts at about 2000K)
You don't really have to measure temperature if you really can't.  You can infer the temperature from the physical model and the amount of energy you put into the system.

Oh, and bear in mind that graphite starts to burn at about 1050K in anything similar to air.

Duh.  At this point doing everything in an inert gaz is a minor issue.

Of course many tricks can be used to confine something hot within something that is cooler, look at a microwave, the inside is not as hot as the food in it, but that in essence is why it is so hard to make diamonds at all.

Yes, microwaves or any concentrated radiation are a possibility.  I don't know, I was thinking about ultrasounds or something.  Anyway I'm pretty sure there are lots of ways to heat a localized point inside a big chunk of graphite.

I'm not saying in this thread that making diamonds should be easy, so please don't be a smart ass.  I'm saying that I'm surprised and kind of disappointed that not much efforts seems to be put into it, when compared to other stuff.   There are also things I don't know about the issues, so I asked in the hope that I could learn stuff.  In particular, I have no idea about how metals behave under very very large pressure.  Assuming they don't heat enough to melt, what can happen?  Do they shatter like glass or something?

greyhawk

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:28:24 PM

I'm saying that I'm surprised and kind of disappointed that not much efforts seems to be put into it, when compared to other stuff.

Why would anyone put effort into this, when you can just take a bunch of starving people and work them in mines until they're kaput, then discard of them?
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:29:44 PM

I'm saying that I'm surprised and kind of disappointed that not much efforts seems to be put into it, when compared to other stuff.

Why would anyone put effort into this, when you can just take a bunch of starving people and work them in mines until they're kaput, then discard of them?

Because natural diamonds are small.   I want to see a sky-crapper made of large single crystal diamond parts.

greyhawk

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:35:19 PM

Because natural diamonds are small.   I want to see a sky-crapper made of large single crystal diamond parts.

Just use this natural diamond.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8722757/Astronomers-discover-diamond-like-planet-in-the-sky.html

hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 03:02:47 PM

Why do you want a big diamond?  The only reason I can think of is that you're a total fucking idiot. 

Or that you want to sell it to other idiots, which is basically just as bad. 
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 02:26:04 PM

With that said, large artificial diamonds are very much around the corner and the dug-from-dirt suppliers are about crapping themselves.

Large synthetic diamonds are already made.  People using the CVD have made diamonds up to 34 carats and there's no real limit to the size beyond how much patience you have.

Though I'm not sure De Beers et al are hugely concerned about artificial diamonds stealing their thunder in jewelry.  They've been around for so long and have managed to infiltrate so much of their marketing schemes into general culture that unseating them would be exceedingly difficult.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2013, 04:33:02 PM

Because natural diamonds are small.   I want to see a sky-scraper made of large single crystal diamond parts.

Then you're going the wrong direction. You're thinking big when you should be thinking small. If you want house-sized artificial diamonds, like in Diamond Age, then you'll have to do it the way they did... nanites. The only practical way to manufacture a diamond larger than the head of a pin is to assemble it molecule by molecule.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
greyhawk

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 04:39:28 PM

The only practical way to manufacture a diamond larger than the head of a pin is to assemble it molecule by molecule.

What about hot glue and velcro?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: