Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which is deeper?
The Matrix - 42 (79.2%)
Inception - 11 (20.8%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Matrix vs Inception  (Read 6628 times)
Keldel

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:41:19 PM

1. V for Vendetta (2005)
2. The Matrix (1999)

The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:42:31 PM

I personally found V for Vendetta to be a 'deep' movie and also I could relate the society to our own.

Define deep without describing specifics to V.

You've never saw V for Vendetta?

I have the Blu-ray of V for Vendetta still in its shrink wrap from over a year ago. In the interim, I have chosen to watch other movies instead, which I'm pleased to say that I have now watched. Here's a brief clip from one such movie (directed by a director far more famous than the director of V for Vendetta). Said movie has likely given me far more pleasure than I might have derived from V for Vendetta. Here's the clip to that movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wI6LfigwYA

The clip you just watched was from a movie entitled Equinox Flower. You did watch the clip, did you not? I tell you what. I'll watch V for Vendetta if you watch another fine movie entitled Yi Yi. That's a film that has been critically acclaimed, and voted one of the greater films ever made. V for Vendetta was not voted as such. Here's the trailer for Yi Yi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F6tSorwYqw
I have to confess that I'm not a big Japanese cinema fan, I've watched a few from Takeshi Kitano, and others that I don't remember now.

That's irrelevant in this context. Kitano is contemporary, and as with all films, there are different genres. The fifties was an exceptionally fruitful period for Japanese cinema, and many of the films from that time and region are considered to be some of the most revered and acclaimed films of all time. As it turns out, the first clip I posted is from a director who has another film which placed number one on Sight & Sound poll's greatest films of all time, right above Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Another film from him placed at around number fifteen.

More to the point, by building a familiarity with those films, a certain magical thing happens as you develop an affinity for them which results in a great deal of pleasure to be gained from watching them. Furthermore, they're rather heavy in their themes - they are not light and frivolous films.

I already had Yi Yi on my to watch list, but I can't make promises.

Watch that film now. It is a masterpiece. Seriously. And I'll watch V.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:52:47 PM

I personally found V for Vendetta to be a 'deep' movie and also I could relate the society to our own.

You must watch a lot of movies. You seem to know about every movie out there and contribute to every thread about movies. Although Vedetta was a amazing movie. You really need to be awake & concentrate whilst watching.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:01:39 PM

@FirstAscent

Yi Yi Running time: 173 minutes, maybe tomorrow...

Here's the first V's speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACUpr5GvVsE

Smiley

FirstAscent

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:12:29 AM

You must watch a lot of movies. You seem to know about every movie out there and contribute to every thread about movies. Although Vedetta was a amazing movie. You really need to be awake & concentrate whilst watching.

If you're interested in movies which require being awake and concentrating, and payoff because you do concentrate, I can suggest some. Recently, I try to focus on critically acclaimed films, old and new, foreign or not. There's a difference in such films from Hollywood studio driven material. That's not to say I don't enjoy modern Hollywood cinema, only that I focus more of my time on what I call better cinema.
FirstAscent

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:16:45 AM

@FirstAscent

Yi Yi Running time: 173 minutes, maybe tomorrow...

Here's the first V's speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACUpr5GvVsE

I have seen that clip! It is fun. Regarding Yi Yi, yes, it is nearly three lovely hours long. And you better not watch it on a smartphone, or in the company of chatty friends. It is a film to be paid attention to, to let it seep into your soul one scene at a time, where upon you will find it is more than the sum its parts.
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 11:41:47 AM

The inception was created by the Machines to trick humans into wasting time and not finding out how to revolt
So The Matrix is deeper.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
interlagos

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:31:09 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2013, 12:25:37 PM by interlagos

I voted for "The Matrix", maybe because I watched it way earlier than "Inception" and I was easier to impress at the time.

Great thread overall with lots of great movies listed.
Here are a few deep ones from my list:

"Donnie Darko"
"Mr. Nobody"
"The Game" with Michael Douglas

Cheers.
FirstAscent

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:45:12 PM

Ever notice there's that one reviewer on Amazon for some film, and he says something like this: "This film could really stand to be edited down, cutting about 30 minutes from its overly long presentation."

Note: I'm not saying anyone said that here. I'm just saying those guys are amateur film critics that need to learn a thing or five about film, typically. I think it's interesting that the more watched you become, with regard to cinema, the more you appreciate films which take their time, which linger, which are long.

Said idiots had best stay away from the films made by the likes of Yang, Kubrick, Ozu, Diaz, and so on. If you can't digest why a director may be letting the camera linger on an empty hallway, then please, just move on.
FirstAscent

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 05:28:03 AM

And to add to the above, you should check out this video: https://vimeo.com/68514760
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 04:43:25 AM

I voted for the Matrix.  Thought the movies were all right, not as great as the attention they garnered in their time though.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
AU

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:07:59 AM

"Enter the Void"

Razer Blade 14" for sale
BTC: 1E1QQDq8keR9uVykmxSzo7CUYrWtQ6J9M8
n00ber

Activity: 560
Merit: 253

View Profile