Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:36:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Own a part of a 3d printer! CREATE on [BTC-TC]  (Read 3545 times)
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 07:37:54 PM

Sounds interesting.

Will this be generating income, so just holding the shares will yield a dividend, or is the only reason to buy shares if you want to get a printinting?

Will you allow people to order printings by paying with btc, or is the only way to get printings to purchase and turn in shares?

As of now, I plan to create a web site where people can order 3d prints in exchange for bitcoins, and the revenue from this will be distributed as dividends. I'm about to register a domain, then once the site is operational I will raise a motion to start selling printouts there.

Until then, owning and exchanging shares are the only way to get a print. The lead time for these printers is eight weeks so the sooner we get it paid for the better!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
camolist

Activity: 896

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 09:04:16 AM

checking this out.

not up to date on these printers yet but if it can do the following at reasonable prices you will be getting a money printing machine..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/01/14/gunsmiths-3d-print-high-capacity-ammo-clips-to-thwart-proposed-gun-laws/

lots to catch up on and maybe get some shares before it's sold out xD

Factory

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 04:49:16 PM

Two questions:

• Do you have experience operating 3D printers?
  • Will there be any kind of warranty or insurance for the 3D printer??

If the machine breaks and there are no safety measures in place, investors are going to left out in the cold.

Something to think about.
btharper

Activity: 389

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 06:45:53 PM

Any comments about the pricing of prints? It seems like basing it directly off of share count exchanged (if share price doesn't become tied to BTC/USD or other larger currency for some other reason) could lead to extremely high prices for printing.

Going directly off of the prices from the site you linked to one kg of plastics of $48USD and a share price at 0.04 BTC you end up making 16% of the cost per USD/BTC. Break even (on materials only, assuming no loss because of how the machine works) happens at $6/BTC, at current prices of $15/BTC you're able to make a 150% profit just from the materials cost. Adding in the processing cost increases this even more, but is reduced some by shipping and labor costs.

tl;dr - should this be priced in USD (or other "normal" currency) and then paid for in shares?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 07:22:30 PM

I'll be honest and say that this seems quite overpriced IMO.  If I wanted to print out a 1 lb object (about 0.5kg), it'd cost me 300 shares.  300 shares @ 0.04 BTC ea = 12 BTC, or about $190.  Worse, I'm giving you an interest free loan for the entire period until I actually want to use my shares for a printout.

OTOH, if I go to Shapeways, I can print things starting at about $10.00, with most models in the neighborhood of $20.00 - $50.00.

Buying shares in this printer doesn't designate actual ownership in anything - it is only an overpriced preorder for 3D printing services down the road.

I think it's a neat idea, but you should offer 3D printing services for BTC rather than giving people a false sense of ownership in a 3D printer.  Or, if you want to give them partial ownership, then create a business plan around making pieces for other people, and offer shareholders some of the profit.
ahdinosaur

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 08:48:47 PM

if you want a decent 3d printer, i'd recommend http://typeamachines.com/.

as with the fund, i think it's a great idea, but i wouldn't invest until you had a usable website to buy prints where investors get dividends of the profits. for now it just seems like you want to buy a hot new 3d printer, oh and maybe you could use it for something, especially worrisome if you don't have experience in 3d printers.
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 10:05:09 PM

Hey guys,

I agree with most of the above. The business model definitely does need to be restructured, and since btc price keeps soaring upwards, the cost of printing via the current contract is definitely overpriced.

I will post back later with a new business plan, which will include USD pricing for prints, and should turn this into more of a company Smiley

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 10:45:39 PM

Is it going to be like this? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55102.0

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 10:53:39 PM

Hey guys,

I agree with most of the above. The business model definitely does need to be restructured, and since btc price keeps soaring upwards, the cost of printing via the current contract is definitely overpriced.

I will post back later with a new business plan, which will include USD pricing for prints, and should turn this into more of a company Smiley

Maybe you should halt trading on BTCT until you figure out what exactly you are selling?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 11:09:48 PM

Hey guys,

Maybe you should halt trading on BTCT until you figure out what exactly you are selling?

You mean like you halted all trading on your securities (and disappeared, and deleted all records and disowned all responsibility)?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=35775.200
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 01:57:04 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2013, 02:19:12 AM by Mushroomized

aw ;-;

Buy a Printr bot instead, its cheaper and the same quality.

hi
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 08:30:29 AM

I think it's a neat idea,

as with the fund, i think it's a great idea

Why in the heck do you folks think that?

It's not either a neat idea or a great idea. It's not even an idea. It's fucking stupid, and that's all it is. This is the exact sort of nonsense GLBSE embodied, except it's a little late to the party. "Oh, there's this cool thing other people do, let's you buy me one of the retail items those other people market and we call it a company". What, maybe the cool of 3d printing brushes off on some random idiot that's not doing anything even vaguely related to it? (Yes dood, you're not "doing" 3d printing, you're doing GLBSE scamming, and six to eighteen months late to boot. 3d printing is just the angle, that's all. Yes, yes, I know, you didn't mean to. Guess what people who don't mean to do what they're doing are called.)

Garr: start here. Apparently you've made 2000 posts for no benefit whatsoever, you're mentally below the average noob. Try reading 2000 posts instead, maybe that works better. "Soaring upwards" a horse's arse pfff.

And if any of the BTCT "moderator"-idiots wish to explain yourselves, here's open mic. Start with "I approved this so called security because I am an idiot and I was confused by..." and fill in the blanks. What's next, a "security" to buy PMBs and "invest" the "dividends" into lottery tickets? A "security" to make clay mugs? Or let me guess, those were taken already.

Heads, people. Heads are for thinking with. Try it sometime.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 08:43:10 AM

It's not either a neat idea or a great idea. It's not even an idea. It's fucking stupid, and that's all it is. This is the exact sort of nonsense GLBSE embodied, except it's a little late to the party. "Oh, there's this cool thing other people do, let's you buy me one of the retail items those other people market and we call it a company". What, maybe the cool of 3d printing brushes off on some random idiot that's not doing anything even vaguely related to it? (Yes dood, you're not "doing" 3d printing, you're doing GLBSE scamming, and six to eighteen months late to boot. 3d printing is just the angle, that's all. Yes, yes, I know, you didn't mean to. Guess what people who don't mean to do what they're doing are called.)

Garr: start here. Apparently you've made 2000 posts for no benefit whatsoever, you're mentally below the average noob. Try reading 2000 posts instead, maybe that works better. "Soaring upwards" a horse's arse pfff.

And if any of the BTCT "moderator"-idiots wish to explain yourselves, here's open mic. Start with "I approved this so called security because I am an idiot and I was confused by..." and fill in the blanks. What's next, a "security" to buy PMBs and "invest" the "dividends" into lottery tickets? A "security" to make clay mugs? Or let me guess, those were taken already.

Let's not be hypocritical.

And does anyone agree with this guy?

Regardless (assuming the answer is a "no"), a new plan is on its way Tongue

Also, I spell out my projects very clearly, so investors/customers know exactly what they're getting into. I'm not forcing anyone to like it or me; I'm just generally polite and straight forward.
Try it sometime.

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 09:08:37 AM
Last edit: December 23, 2013, 03:23:14 AM by Justin00

MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 09:37:06 AM

Let's not be hypocritical.

Also, I spell out my projects very clearly, so investors/customers know exactly what they're getting into. I'm not forcing anyone to like it or me; I'm just generally polite and straight forward.
Try it sometime.

So you're polite. Go sell shares in it, why don't you. And for that matter, who even says you're allowed to substantially change the contract midgame? Eh?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Peter Lambert

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 01:27:47 PM

He does bring up a number of valid points. I would like to see a full business plan before I invest any money into this.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 04:07:00 PM

I think you should focus more on generating profits to expand the operation, buying new printers, printer parts for new printers then purchasing the electronics, etc. Then use software like BOTFARM to be able to control a multiple number of incoming jobs across your printer farm. Otherwise I see this as kind of a shady investment, while the end outcome of you owning a printer and leaving.

hi
Bugpowder

Activity: 394

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 05:52:43 PM

Hey, cut him some slack, he is still in high school! Just learning the ropes!

http://admitmeplease.org/
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 06:07:36 PM

Hey, cut him some slack, he is still in high school! Just learning the ropes!

http://admitmeplease.org/

I think MPOE-PR occasionally forgets that BTC-TC != MPEX.  There's not a seasoned wall street professional at the top of the stack dictating things, so you definitely have to be more careful about what you buy into.  The community mods vote according to their intuition and whatever other motivating factors they might have, but the end result is that for the most part the community gets what the community asks for.

Personally, I think the printer idea is a great one, but the business plan needs some work.  I'm latching onto the website/selling prints possibilities, not so much the buying of shares to get my own prints.  But the possibilities there I think are pretty good.  You're not going to get crazy rich, but could definitely make a steady profit with a good setup.

usagi
VIP

Activity: 812

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 06:10:12 PM

Hey guys,

Frankly I think this is a terrible business idea.

However, as a LTC-GLOBAL shareholder I don't see why he can't list.

1. It's not our job to try and predict the future about what business can and can't be successful.
2. If it succeeds or fails, it will at least generate trading revenue for me, as a shareholder.
3. Garr has the right to try and make his business successful. I believe that.

So whatever I think doesn't enter into it. I say let him try. Garr is attempting to be a producer here, and run a real business vs. just another miner (or worse, fund). Sure there is room for more miners and more funds. But we also need producers and I think that sets this apart from the vast majority of new business ideas around here. I say kudos to Garr.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: