Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:52:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Added Gun Control Irrelevant  (Read 1763 times)
Snipes777 (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 01:36:13 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2013, 01:55:36 PM by Snipes777

So first of all, Obama didn't announce anything. He came up with a list of things he would like to do with guns. Half of them he could have done anyway without a large, showy press conference (for instance writing a few letters). The rest of the things he is waiting on Congress to approve. Most likely, the House will not approve them, which then can turn into a 2014 political ploy in which Republicans didn't pass the "No Longer Shoot Children in the Head Act" or something to that nature.

Besides this hysteria, I would like to point out that gun control is quickly becoming obsolete as an idea to begin with:
http://defensedistributed.com/

When the average person can load up their 3D printer with plastic, download a CAD drawing for free off of the internet, and print a gun with minimal assembly, it puts the means of production into the average person. The government wants to outlaw high-capacity mags? Looks like I can print one in my home with no registration that plugs right into my gun. In the very near future, the idea of gun control will be laughable.

Not only that, but it shouldn't be long before a 3D printer may be able to print a new 3D printer. In this situation, even outlawing 3D printers will not prevent the people from gaining the means of production and being able to download designs from the internet for free or for BTC.

People will always find ways around these rules.

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntaryism
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 04:26:59 PM

People will always find ways around these rules.

Yep. There's always ways around things. For example, bitcoins won't stop taxes. They can just tax the square footage of your house. Plastic guns just means you might be searched at random. Nothing is engraved in stone.
dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 05:20:40 PM

not to mention I can just get on tor and have a weapon mailed to me, I think black markets are left out of the argument alot too
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2013, 10:33:27 PM

Not only that, but it shouldn't be long before a 3D printer may be able to print a new 3D printer.

RepRap already can print the parts for itself, and has been able to for years.  www.reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

That aside, if you take away guns people will resort to bombs and airplanes. 

When the government chases their tail is laughable, except that the only one that pays the price is the citizens.

Timing sucks, I sold a gun to buy my ASIC miners and figured I'd just buy a couple of AK 47's to replace the PS-90 that I sold.  I noticed most of the AK's have doubled in price in the last two days on www.gunbroker.com.  I remember last time there was a ban most assault rifles tripled and quadrupled in price.

Of course if BTC keeps raising in price it may not matter, I'll just pay the higher price.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 10:37:26 PM

Not completely related, but it's a pitty that the fiscal cliff media attention has stepped back to the ever popular gun debate.
Kempelen

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 12:54:46 AM

Gun control is political theatre, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.

Politicians on both sides of the issue energize their respective bases, rake in donations, and distract the public from more important issues.

Firearm and ammunition companies, and retailers rake in enormous sales. Perhaps some of this windfall makes it back into the pockets of those politicians who are most vocal about pushing for gun control?
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 01:18:25 AM

Gun control is political theatre, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.

Politicians on both sides of the issue energize their respective bases, rake in donations, and distract the public from more important issues.

Firearm and ammunition companies, and retailers rake in enormous sales. Perhaps some of this windfall makes it back into the pockets of those politicians who are most vocal about pushing for gun control?

I'm pretty sure nothing of legislative consequence will come out of this latest round of the gun debate. The big reason this is probably being pushed by the President is so that he can get concessions from Republicans on the fiscal issues. Then a gentleman's agreement gets worked out in a smoke filled room over copious amounts of scotch to where Obama lets the Republican mostly win the gun argument while Democrats mostly win this latest debt ceiling clash.  Hopefully this is all followed by people seeing Republicans rolling over on economic matters and then driving up the value of my bitcoins.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 2111

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 05:07:28 AM

Timing sucks, I sold a gun to buy my ASIC miners and figured I'd just buy a couple of AK 47's to replace the PS-90 that I sold.  I noticed most of the AK's have doubled in price in the last two days on www.gunbroker.com.  I remember last time there was a ban most assault rifles tripled and quadrupled in price.

Just wait. An assault weapon ban won't pass and all the people who rushed out and pushed the prices up will have their credit cards come due. Should be some bargains on the market.

The only legislation I see possibly passing is the republicans caving on high capacity mags

vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 05:08:54 AM

Well feds may not pass, but NYS just banned high capacity (eh... normal capacity mags).. Anything > 7.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 05:50:56 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2013, 06:56:03 AM by Lethn

Jon Stewart's been on the case with this one, it's sad but it looks like a lot of America's gun problems are caused by sheer incompetence, nothing to do with the laws themselves at all, the politicians made the laws years ago they just didn't enforce them properly for the most part and also not correctly done laws, this explains why Switzerland etc. do perfectly okay with having guns in civilian hands.
Rob E

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 10:48:20 AM

guns aren't the problem kids people whacked out on psychiatric or: Pschiatric drugs themselves are. It's not " outrageous" to say that, in evert mass shooting case the murderers where on psychiatric - medication. I.e -Drugs-. You go an do the research yourself.  Every one of these mass shooters was on psychiatric drugs. And this hey don't show in the media.  YET EVERY SINGLE CASE THESE PEOPLE WERE ON DRUGS.
Psychiatric drugs. Everyone of them. It can not be stated enough.
Everyone of them.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 11:55:50 AM

guns aren't the problem kids people whacked out on psychiatric or: Pschiatric drugs themselves are. It's not " outrageous" to say that, in evert mass shooting case the murderers where on psychiatric - medication. I.e -Drugs-. You go an do the research yourself.  Every one of these mass shooters was on psychiatric drugs. And this hey don't show in the media.  YET EVERY SINGLE CASE THESE PEOPLE WERE ON DRUGS.
Psychiatric drugs. Everyone of them. It can not be stated enough.
Everyone of them.

Correlation != causation.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Kempelen

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 11:58:54 AM

Some of those drugs produce suicidal and/or violent behaviour as a known side effect.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 12:04:37 PM

Some of those drugs produce suicidal and/or violent behaviour as a known side effect.

That was not the poster's claim. He claimed that all mass murderers take psychiatric drugs, and therefore psychiatric drugs cause homicidal behaviour. My point is that the relationship cannot be assumed - people are given psychiatric drugs because they have mental illnesses.

Implying (in all caps) that psychiatric drugs cause homicidal behaviour is like saying guns should be banned because most mass murders are committed using guns.

Snipes777 (OP)

Activity: 132

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 12:34:04 PM

I guess my OP was a lot less to do with guns themselves, but to illustrate some of the impotence of government. Yet they love going out and pretending they are all important.

Just like the fiscal cliff. The idea that any plan that they are going to come up with is going to substantially change the macro direction of the country. Of course, they could change things, but we all know that none of them would even consider they they would do what actually needs to get done. When people realize the system is impotent except for being a bully, then they lose almost all positive connotation.

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntaryism
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 2111

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 03:30:54 PM

My point is that the relationship cannot be assumed

This is true.

However, it appears that there might be reason to suspect that there might be a causal relationship. So why isn't this being investigated as a matter of urgency?

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 04:12:53 PM

Yeah, but 100% - or even nearly 100% - correlation certainly is enough to warrant further study.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
constitution

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 03:39:57 AM

The OP is a truly smart man, wish there was more like him in the US...
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 04:42:54 AM

Yeah, but 100% - or even nearly 100% - correlation certainly is enough to warrant further study.

"Every one of these mass shooters was drinking water. And this hey don't show in the media.  YET EVERY SINGLE CASE THESE PEOPLE WERE ON FLUIDS. "

Is a 100% correlation between consuming fluids and going on a murderous rampage also enough to warrant further study?

bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 04:59:35 AM

"Every one of these mass shooters was drinking water. And this hey don't show in the media.  YET EVERY SINGLE CASE THESE PEOPLE WERE ON FLUIDS. "

Is a 100% correlation between consuming fluids and going on a murderous rampage also enough to warrant further study?

Well it depends when they drank that water...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: