Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:29:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 0.12 with pruned mode a good idea for newbies?  (Read 2758 times)
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 05:01:29 PM

My biggest problem beside having to use a ton of GB on the blockchain is the fact that it's sooooo slow to download. I don't know at how much kb/s im downloading (any way to know?) but there's now ay im using all of my bandwidth properly, it takes way too much time to download and sync small periods of time like sometimes when I don't open Bitcoin core for 4 days or something.

The bottleneck is likely the signature validation process for you (based on the speed of your processor and your hard drive), not a bandwidth limitation. The new release is, at least, considerably faster at this, due to libsecp256k1 being implemented.

Yes, if I recall correctly by reading the Core roadmap, it was around 700% faster with the libsecp256k1 now, so I hope that this is the problem and not my bandwidth, since even if my bandwidth is nothing to write about, im sure I could be able to download those sizes way faster if I was downloading it from a well seeded torrent.
My hard drive is rather old but still a pretty decent 4 core CPU and my hard drive is just a regular 72000RPM HD.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: