Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:20:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips for local transactions  (Read 726396 times)
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 06:37:34 AM

Thumbs up for this! a thread that is helpful in local transactions, I think the first thing a person to do if he/she
is the buyer is look for the level of trust of the vendor, the vendor should do the same as well, they both need
witness or a bodyguard if the going get tough! that is  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chanlance

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 05:24:31 PM

everyday things are changing and getting better.....to be sure u get your money face2face is the best solution
uwichii

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 05:32:29 AM

- http://shadowlife.cc/2012/11/secure-and-professional-bitcoin-otc-exchanges

I haven't completed all that many in-person trades myself but more than once now I have been asked to sell for cash an amount of bitcoins larger than any amount I would be selling by myself.  But had I previously gotten in contact with other traders in my area a larger trade amount probably could have been arranged since that would allow me to have to trade only up to my personal max level and then also there would be two or more of us present when the cash traded hands.

As far as buying bitcoins from an untrusted stranger, the risk of double spending (due to either a Race attack or a Finney attack) is significant enough to require at least one confirmation (or a Green address transfer or a service such as a LocalBitcoins "Transaction" where the funds released to the buyer would always be already-confirmed funds).

One challenge with in-person trading is with communications and coordinating the meet.  Unless you are already planning on spending a couple hours at a coffee shop or wherever, make sure to specify in advance your expectations otherwise you'll often be stuck waiting for your trading partner to show, oftentimes in vain.

For a recent trade the buyer arrived on time but he needed to get cash from an ATM.  It was only then that he learned that his bank account has a low maximum daily withdrawal amount, leaving me holding more bitcoins (and less cash) than I had planned.  Had I confirmed that the buyer had cash in-hand before even setting a meeting time and location is something that would have saved me time, money and the resulting headache
YuginKadoya
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 11:26:18 AM

- http://shadowlife.cc/2012/11/secure-and-professional-bitcoin-otc-exchanges

I haven't completed all that many in-person trades myself but more than once now I have been asked to sell for cash an amount of bitcoins larger than any amount I would be selling by myself.  But had I previously gotten in contact with other traders in my area a larger trade amount probably could have been arranged since that would allow me to have to trade only up to my personal max level and then also there would be two or more of us present when the cash traded hands.

As far as buying bitcoins from an untrusted stranger, the risk of double spending (due to either a Race attack or a Finney attack) is significant enough to require at least one confirmation (or a Green address transfer or a service such as a LocalBitcoins "Transaction" where the funds released to the buyer would always be already-confirmed funds).

One challenge with in-person trading is with communications and coordinating the meet.  Unless you are already planning on spending a couple hours at a coffee shop or wherever, make sure to specify in advance your expectations otherwise you'll often be stuck waiting for your trading partner to show, oftentimes in vain.

For a recent trade the buyer arrived on time but he needed to get cash from an ATM.  It was only then that he learned that his bank account has a low maximum daily withdrawal amount, leaving me holding more bitcoins (and less cash) than I had planned.  Had I confirmed that the buyer had cash in-hand before even setting a meeting time and location is something that would have saved me time, money and the resulting headache

That is a very reliable matter but I think you need to be ready or very precaution at all times you will never know what will happen on a trade, planning would be good and having a second option will be great too, if plan A doesn't work go to plan B and it is always good to have a plan C just in case.
HarryHood

Activity: 22

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 10:55:18 PM

As for as local bitcoins go, I want to sell my coins and get cash in hand. I am looking at someones profile and it says the following…
They also have 25 confirmed trades. Do you think this person can be trusted? They have a minimum of $100 cash, so I think I will just sell $100 worth of coins for my first try. The more verifications the better right?
Email  Verified 1 year, 5 months ago
Phone number  Verified 1 year, 13 months ago
ID, Passport or Driver’s license  Verified 1 days ago
Facebook  Verified Facebook profile 1 day, 22 hours ago
adworker

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:19:32 PM

Thanks for your time and explanation!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk   ■   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
erickimani

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 10:13:32 AM

My tip is to meet at some sort of table and set up a camera to monitor the transaction.

For extra security, have the camera recording to some sort of remote server. 
haha. by that you are going to far but I believe you have the right to it, if that makes you feel much secure
lama-hunter

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 07:07:35 AM

nice detailed tips to minimise the chance of geting scammed but there is never a 100% protection. wold is full of jangos.
maybe also make sure you swich i.d. infos before the bitcoin trade if you feel like it´s needed.

regards.

lama-hunter
Classy

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 11:38:08 PM

Amazing tutorial! I want to get started selling coins in real life but I am nervous. These tips should come in handy. Thanks!
quentincole32

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 02:09:58 PM

i think this is too much worry about security
There are three main things I look for in meeting places:
Public Location - Are there plenty of people around?
WiFi Access - Is there free or cheap public WiFi access in the area?
Security - Are there security cameras or security guards in the area?

i think local trnsaction can be done with smartphone,its more simple.

▃▃▌▌AMBROSUS▐▐▃▃▃ - TRUSTED QUALITY OF FOOD & MEDICINE
ICO date 13 September
Ryananda

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 11:10:37 AM

Topics were very nice and helpful

Thanks for the tips given, was very helpful and I will implement it. Thank you
Oh My Rig!

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 12:32:30 PM

Very nice bunch of tips & suggestions indeed! My respect to the topicstarter, for sure it will be very helpful for any newcomers who have high risks to lose their hard-mined BTC. My personal choice is paper wallets and offline cold storage for sure, i thinking that no one firewall, OS or antivirus software is 100% secure, therefore is only one way to avoid losses - simply don't use them:-).
YuginKadoya
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 03:16:05 PM

Very nice bunch of tips & suggestions indeed! My respect to the topicstarter, for sure it will be very helpful for any newcomers who have high risks to lose their hard-mined BTC. My personal choice is paper wallets and offline cold storage for sure, i thinking that no one firewall, OS or antivirus software is 100% secure, therefore is only one way to avoid losses - simply don't use them:-).

Haha not using them indeed will help you save btc for sure and can raise it in no time now that bitcoin is stable at the moment well I guess a safe storage and a trusted wallet will do and their is an extra income in every transaction well in my use wallet their is.
pankaj kumar maurya

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 06:15:52 AM

I was writing this as a reply to someone else's topic and it got kind of lengthy, so I decided to make it into a topic instead.

The intention of this topic is to help new buyers and sellers in the BitCoin community who are looking to meet up and trade locally. I've done a lot of local trades and sales over the years, so I'm hoping that my experiences can help beginners by giving them ideas on how to trade safely. For this purpose I've separated my advice into three sections: meeting for trades, advice for buying, and advice for selling.

I've tried to format everything in a clear and concise manner to make this topic more readable. I'm open to suggestions for edits and additions to help make this guide as useful as possible.

Hope this guide helps anyone looking to start trading locally!

Note: Some names/locations I mention are US based, so I apologize if they're irrelevant for your location. The theories behind this topic should be fine regardless of country.

Meeting:
There are three main things I look for in meeting places:
  • Public Location - Are there plenty of people around?
  • WiFi Access - Is there free or cheap public WiFi access in the area?
  • Security - Are there security cameras or security guards in the area?

Public Location:
Public locations are like Local Trading 101: it is always better to meet in a public place. Scammers and muggers are a lot less likely to try anything with witnesses around. You can usually find these people early on by simply requesting a public meeting place: they want to meet their victims alone.

WiFi:
Places like McDonalds, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, and many local coffee shops offer free WiFi access. A lot of hotels offer WiFi as well, but usually not for free or to non-customers. Bring a laptop or tablet with you if you have one so you can check transaction details and confirmations. Depending on what you're buying/selling/trading, having a computer to do some last second research on item values can never hurt if you're worried about getting the short end of the stick.

Security:
A location with security cameras adds an extra layer of security to a trade. If the other party does get away with stealing from or scamming you, you'll have physical evidence in a recording that can help the authorities track the offender down and bring him to justice. Security guards can help set your mind at ease if you're concerned that you might get mugged: muggers are a lot less likely to rob you if there's a guard with a gun a few yards away. A guard can easily step in and save you if a mugger does start attacking you.

My personal recommendation would be to meet at a mall, if there's one in your area. Malls have tons of security measures to help protect you as you make your trade, and many malls have WiFi access across the entire property: there's a good chance that one of the mall's stores has WiFi access even if the mall itself doesn't. Banks are a good choice too: banks have great security, and some bigger banks have WiFi access as well.

Buying:
There are three things I want to cover about buying in-person:
  • Reviewing Your Purchase
  • Paying with BitCoin
  • Paying with Cash

Reviewing Your Purchase:
For buying items, remember that there's a lot you can't tell about something just from pictures. Make sure to look the item over carefully and make sure everything is in working condition/described condition before you pay the seller. A seller who is unwilling or nervous about letting you check out an item may know something about the item he doesn't want you to find out. It's a good idea to meet during the day or in a well lit area so you can see everything clearly. Don't be afraid to ask questions if anything feels off and don't feel obligated to complete a sale you're uncomfortable with.

Paying with BitCoin:
One of the easiest ways to pay in BitCoin in person is with a mobile wallet app from a smartphone. Blockchain a mobile wallet app for Android and iOS. It's an online wallet, so I wouldn't recommend it for long-time storage: strictly transactions. Once I know how much I need to pay for an item I put that much in the wallet, and maybe 1 or 2 BTC more just in case there's a last second price change, and when I get home I immediately transfer any leftover funds to a more secure wallet. Blockchain works the same as any other client: enter the seller's payment address and the amount of BTC for the sale to send payment. Blockchain also has a QR scanner built in if the seller has a QR code address.

As a side note, I use an iPhone and Blockchain is, to my knowledge, the only wallet app for iOS without jailbreaking your phone. I have no knowledge about jailbreaking or Android apps for alternatives to Blockchain, but you can always do your research here on the forum or on the BitCoin wiki to find an app that works for you. You can also use your laptop, if you have it with you, to access your wallet and pay the seller. I recommend creating a brand new wallet for the transaction, especially if you're the paranoid type. Better safe than sorry, right? Wink

Paying with Cash:
This section focuses on buying BitCoins. One of the more common OTC transactions is buying BitCoin with cash. If you're buying BTC, you need to give the seller a payment address to receive your funds. You can use your mobile wallet to receive the funds, which you can then transfer to a safer wallet when you get home, or you can write down or print out a wallet address for the seller to send the BTC to. If you do the latter method, make sure to confirm the transaction before you part ways: use a laptop to check your wallet and confirm the payment or have a trusted friend/family member monitor the wallet and contact you with confirmation of the funds.

Selling:
There are a few things to review for sellers:
  • Terms of the Sale or Trade
  • Accepting BitCoin Payment
  • Accepting Cash Payment
  • Other Forms of Payment

Terms of the Sale or Trade:
If you and the buyer have agreed to the terms of the trade ahead of time (as in what is being sold and for what price), I recommend printing out a copy of the agreement or correspondence (emails, forum posts, etc.). I've had experiences where the buyer tries to change the deal at the last minute or claims that I agreed to a lower price for the sale. Printing out what you offered and he accepted will back you up and help you get the price you asked for. You can also take a picture of these correspondences with your phone or digital camera if you don't have a printer, or use a laptop/tablet to bring them up if WiFi access is available.

Accepting BitCoin Payment:
Write down or print your payment address and bring it with you: I also recommend having a QR code address printed for buyers who use mobile wallets. Make sure you have a way to confirm payment before you part ways with the buyer. Use a laptop/tablet to check on the transaction for confirmations as well as affirming that the buyer paid the correct amount. You could also have a trusted friend/family member monitor your wallet and contact you with confirmation if WiFi is unavailable. Mobile app wallets may be able to confirm transactions on the spot, negating the need for WiFi access and a computer if you have a 3G/4G phone: the Blockchain app I mentioned can do this for you.

Accepting Cash Payment:
The main concern with cash payment is counterfeit bills. Most banks and retail locations keep special markers at the registers that can show if a bill is real or counterfeit. Here's an example on Amazon. These markers are a cheap investment if you're worried about receiving counterfeit money. I've also found them at office supply stores like Office Depot and Staples for around $5-$15. Keep one in your pocket and mark the bills before you finish the sale. Make sure you explain to the buyer what you're doing so they don't freak out on you: I've had that happen before.

Other Forms of Payment:
The are two things to remember about alternative forms of payment: one; try to agree with the buyer ahead of time about the use of non-cash/non-BTC payments, and two; do your research on the payment method to make sure you know what you're getting and how it works (and how easily, if possible, it can be forged or reversed). This forum is full of warnings about certain payment methods for good reason. BitCoin purchases seem to be the bigger targets for chargeback fraud, so keep yourself educated when you're selling BTC in person.

There is one final warning I would like to give in this section: do not accept personal checks. One of the first in-person sales I ever did was for a personal check ($450), and I'm sure you can guess how that went simply by the way I've brought it up. Another check sale a few months after that one was paid for with a stolen checkbook and I had police show up at my house asking about the sale so they could find the guy. If you absolutely must accept a sale by check, I would recommend completing the sale at a bank so you can cash the check on the spot.

Other Tips:
This section is for good advice submitted by other posters. Thanks for your contributions!
  • Make sure to specify your expectations in advance. Confirm the time and place of meeting and make sure that both parties have everything on hand to complete the sale or trade. ~ Stephen Gornick
  • Strength in numbers: bringing along a second person can be an excellent source of additional security and protection. ~ Vernon715
B4Bitcoin

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 08:25:28 AM

Great tips for local transaction.

Thanks Man for this Smiley
xjukebox

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

Experienced Virtual Assistant for Hire

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 11:29:17 AM

Thank you for nice explained post

VIRTUAL ASSISTANT| SEO | DATA ENTRY | LINK BUILDING SERVICES |SEO SERVICES|WORD PRESS | SEM| SMM HIRE ME NOW
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16496

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2016, 06:24:43 PM

Thumbs up for this! a thread that is helpful in local transactions, I think the first thing a person to do if he/she
is the buyer is look for the level of trust of the vendor, the vendor should do the same as well, they both need
witness or a bodyguard if the going get tough! that is  Grin
You make it sound like a mob-deal, where both parties bring 12 armed guys and in the end everybody ends up dead.

I haven't sold bitcoin in person (yet), but I did sell and buy lots of items online, for instance laptops and tablets. Usually at my house, or the other person's house. But I've also met in person in-between so we both didn't travel too much, selling stuff in a car. Not in a dark alley of course.
Although bitcoin is not much different than cash when it comes to the risk of getting robbed, it does give me a more "shady" feeling to do the same sale for bitcoin. Maybe it's only in my mind.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 07:24:39 PM

In most cases, these are just precautions.

The Bitcoin trader that I conducted transactions with was very knowledgeable and very business-like.  He was well-educated, and I concluded that he had a degree in business administration.  He was listed at both Localbitcoins and Craigslist.

We started with emails, then phone conversations, and then meeting for the transactions.  By then, we both knew what to expect from each other, and how the transaction would be conducted.  No surprises.

DigitalAssetTrader

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 07:00:46 AM

Thanks for the guide. It's always nice to have a counterfeit money detector with you. But luckily I haven't run into the problem
of counterfeit bills yet. Great work.
Kaliyy

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 10:01:13 AM

希望能跟上大家学到知识!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: